Schredders summer training journal

Quick question; caloric expenditure is for dla's? My boy works oil fields and puts out daily K's at a crazy level. Just trying to adjust values given his line of work vs your daily expenditure to get an accurate approximate. Adcive much appreciated! Thanks in advance

This is an interesting split. What if I was to do the following:
Chest/Bis/ Hams
Back/tris/ Calves
Delts/ Quads
Rest one day, and repeat!
The reason I think this would be a good split for me is because I usually prefer to split up my legs workout as I get light headed big time if I was to do legs in one workout. So this way I would spread it over the 3 days split. Do you think this would be a functional split?

It would be functional yes. I mean, anything you do is going to work, for a certain period of time. Only thing I see that I don't like here is that your leg work is LAST on every day. Most guys have issues with leg growth so doing them last would leave a significantly less amount of energy and nutrients in the blood stream to properly work them. I know for me at least if I did that split I wouldn't have energy to properly hit legs of I would be to lazy and end up not doing them.

I really believe legs need their own day as they take up a crazy amount of energy and oxygen. But Like I said, everything is going to work for a period of time and you actually might find this split to work good and if you legs are like my shoulders then doing them last wont be an issue :) Giver a shot and see how you feel, if you don't like it switch it up man.

Quick question; caloric expenditure is for dla's? My boy works oil fields and puts out daily K's at a crazy level. Just trying to adjust values given his line of work vs your daily expenditure to get an accurate approximate. Adcive much appreciated! Thanks in advance

I have no Idea my daily expenditure, I really don't think anyone can pinpoint exactly what theyre is too, too many variables. Plus each day what you burn is going to be different, even if you did nothing more than take 5 extra steps.

What is the goal hear my friend. Is your boy trying to build muscle why in an environment where he burns a crazy high amount of calories?

Give me a bit better of a description of what the issue is here brother.

It would be functional yes. I mean, anything you do is going to work, for a certain period of time. Only thing I see that I don't like here is that your leg work is LAST on every day. Most guys have issues with leg growth so doing them last would leave a significantly less amount of energy and nutrients in the blood stream to properly work them. I know for me at least if I did that split I wouldn't have energy to properly hit legs of I would be to lazy and end up not doing them.

I really believe legs need their own day as they take up a crazy amount of energy and oxygen. But Like I said, everything is going to work for a period of time and you actually might find this split to work good and if you legs are like my shoulders then doing them last wont be an issue :) Giver a shot and see how you feel, if you don't like it switch it up man.

That makes total sense. I will give this a try and maybe after a month I will switch things up and see how my body reacts to each split. I appreciate the good advice man!

Oilfield/rig jobs vary a lot in terms of expenditure, too...equipment operator vs leasehand, for example...important to note what he's doing and for how long each day, on average. And what his shifts are like (10/4, 14/7 etc)

This is an interesting split. What if I was to do the following:
Chest/Bis/ Hams
Back/tris/ Calves
Delts/ Quads
Rest one day, and repeat!
The reason I think this would be a good split for me is because I usually prefer to split up my legs workout as I get light headed big time if I was to do legs in one workout. So this way I would spread it over the 3 days split. Do you think this would be a functional split?

Have you tried push/pull/legs, with abs on push day and calves on pull day?

I realize it groups hams/quads together but that shouldn't be an issue unless your conditioning is horrible or something is wrong with your cardiovascular system...

Oilfield/rig jobs vary a lot in terms of expenditure, too...equipment operator vs leasehand, for example...important to note what he's doing and for how long each day, on average. And what his shifts are like (10/4, 14/7 etc)

Good call Snow, I agree.

I realize it groups hams/quads together but that shouldn't be an issue unless your conditioning is horrible or something is wrong with your cardiovascular system...

I also agree with this as well.

And looking diced btw dude, shit, abs are looking ridiculous!! I can wait to get mine back! lol.

btw I decided to step on the scale and.........................247!!!! 3 lbs away from my goal. Gonna be easy to hit 250 as I had planned and possibly a lil more before I cut up a bit.

(...)

And looking diced btw dude, shit, abs are looking ridiculous!! I can wait to get mine back! lol.

Thanks - 3 weeks out now, time to get the hammies & glutes in play...

btw I decided to step on the scale and.........................247!!!! 3 lbs away from my goal. Gonna be easy to hit 250 as I had planned and possibly a lil more before I cut up a bit.

250's serious business, nice job man - I was hoping to get there but stalled out and said fuck it at 244 lol...

I have only tried the push/pull and I found it too crammed and I couldnt give each muscle the attention it deserves. Especially that I try to keep my workouts last less than an hour.
The push/pull/legs seems to be a solution to that problem. I dont mind doing quads and hams in the same workout, but I usually dont, because I like to give them more attention than I would if I did all legs on the same day. But I am reconsidering now. I will definitely give this a try. Maybe start with this split and change it up into one of the previously discussed ones (3 days/off/3days). Which split/routine has worked out the best for you so far, and that you keep going back to ?

Thanks - 3 weeks out now, time to get the hammies & glutes in play...

250's serious business, nice job man - I was hoping to get there but stalled out and said fuck it at 244 lol...

Thanks brother. I was stuck for a few weeks too man and it was annoying me. You know what I think helped be break through that and start gaining again? Snacking between meals. I eat peanuts between each meal. I found these kettle cooked peanuts and what you get per amount you eat is ridiculous.

Per 1/3 cup
300 Calories
13g Protein
24g Fat
10g Carbs 2 being sugar 4 being fiber

That's pretty crazy considering its only 1/3 cup, I mean that almost just one mouth full of food.

Some say almonds are better blah blah blah but theyre too expensive and are they really better? Doubt it.

Ripped up the pecs today with a tiny bit of delts and calfs. Man things are heatin up!!!!

Flat bench 5x5 drop/rest pause on last set, I actually got 6 on the last set with 275
Incline BB press 4 sets worked up to 205 on this and again with a drop/rest pause on last set
Incline HS 3 sets, another drop/rest pause on last set
Decline MTS iso lateral press 3 sets
Decline flys 3 sets, for this I started out and above my head with hands externally rotated and as I brought the weight up and in I internally rotated my hands. This is a great exercise if done correctly because youre moving the weight perfectly inline with your pec fibers. You getting a maximum stretch as well. You cant go very heavy on this though, I used 25s

Seated side laterals 4 sets double drop on last set

One legged calf raise on machine 3 sets
Seated calf raise 10 reps 10 sec rest 20 reps 20 sec rest 30 rep 30 sec rest 40 reps and done

Delts tomorrow!!

Wow man that's great progress. I'm happy you are achieving your goals. Very motivating to see this. Do you have a final weight goal after you cut, or a bf% you want to attain?

Thanks brother. I was stuck for a few weeks too man and it was annoying me. You know what I think helped be break through that and start gaining again? Snacking between meals. I eat peanuts between each meal. I found these kettle cooked peanuts and what you get per amount you eat is ridiculous.

Per 1/3 cup
300 Calories
13g Protein
24g Fat
10g Carbs 2 being sugar 4 being fiber

That's pretty crazy considering its only 1/3 cup, I mean that almost just one mouth full of food.

Some say almonds are better blah blah blah but theyre too expensive and are they really better? Doubt it.

So I'm guessing every time we get stuck at a certain weight, it is most probably our food intake that is limiting us!

The difference between almonds and peanuts is negligible. Almonds have twice the vitamin E as peanuts, and more calcium and magnesium. Whereas peanuts have more B vitamins (niacin, B6, folate) and selenium. They both have almost identical macros, except that peanuts have more protein than almonds. Are these differences worth the 2x or 3x price tag of almonds. I dont think so!!
I will be looking for these little devils to snack on.

Wow man that's great progress. I'm happy you are achieving your goals. Very motivating to see this. Do you have a final weight goal after you cut, or a bf% you want to attain?

Thanks man, Im the biggest and strongest I have been to date, and still not much fat on me.
As far as a final weight of BF% I want to attain, I don't have any goals set in my mind as far as numbers go. I will cut until I am happy with what I see in the mirror, I want to still maintain fullness, roundness and size but of course dry up a bit and have my abs back, my arms shoulders legs are still shredded, I have a bit of fat around my abdomen and lower chest and a slight bit on my lower back. Its not going to be anything crazy. Add some Tren, maybe anavar and possibly T3, drop my carb intake down and do a bit of cardio. Im just gonna play around with the diet until I see things happening that I want to.

So I'm guessing every time we get stuck at a certain weight, it is most probably our food intake that is limiting us!

The difference between almonds and peanuts is negligible. Almonds have twice the vitamin E as peanuts, and more calcium and magnesium. Whereas peanuts have more B vitamins (niacin, B6, folate) and selenium. They both have almost identical macros, except that peanuts have more protein than almonds. Are these differences worth the 2x or 3x price tag of almonds. I dont think so!!
I will be looking for these little devils to snack on.

I would say its a toss up between nutrition and training being the reasons we either plateau or don't gain at all like we see so many people having issues with. People say diet is number one, well it is but so is training, theyre both number one. If we gain more muscle we need to eat more and in order to gain more muscle we need to train harder and eat more, it all goes hand in hand. I think upping cals as necessary will help break plateaus and also increasing intensity of training sessions, more time under tension. Weather it be less rest between sets, more sets, and extra exercise, more weight, slower reps, whatever.

Back at it AGAIN this morning for some shoulder work. Big workout today, a little longer than normal as I wanted to really shock the delts, lots of exercises and short rest periods.

BB shrugs 4 sets
Behind the neck cable pulldowns with rope 3 sets

I did these two first today as I wanted to fatigue the traps, like you've seen me mention before, to help the trap NOT take over any delt movement. The behind the neck pull targets both traps and rear delts, so after that it was right into some rear delt movements.

Face pulls with rope 4 sets
Seated bent over reverse flys 4 sets
Seated DB side laterals 3 sets
Cable side laterals 3 sets(What I did here was instead of pulling the cable across my body I had the same stance but grabbed the cable with my inside hand and pulled straight up, this exercise is great for maintaining tension 100% of the time as you cant lower the weight all the way down, if done correctly you hand should only come about 3/4 of the way down.
DB front raise lying on an incline bench 3 sets
A variation of a front/side lateral raise 3 sets, I don't even know whats its called, I just saw in a Kevin Levrone video and I do them from time to time
MTS iso lateral press 3 sets, tweaked the reps a bit, I did one rep with a 10 sec push then 3 normal reps 3 times over for a total of 12 reps each set

Had the delts ready to bust open after all of this!!!! Maybe they'll actually be a little sore tomorrow, which they never are, I can hammer delts all I want and I think maybe once in the past year they've actually been sore, and that's only slightly sore. Not that soreness has anything to do with growth, but a little soreness feels good.

Decided to do some abs today which I never do!!! 3 sets of 25 reps on a seated ab machine

3 sets of 25 reps for calfs on leg sled

Back at it AGAIN this morning for some shoulder work. Big workout today, a little longer than normal as I wanted to really shock the delts, lots of exercises and short rest periods.

BB shrugs 4 sets
Behind the neck cable pulldowns with rope 3 sets

I did these two first today as I wanted to fatigue the traps, like you've seen me mention before, to help the trap NOT take over any delt movement. The behind the neck pull targets both traps and rear delts, so after that it was right into some rear delt movements.

Face pulls with rope 4 sets
Seated bent over reverse flys 4 sets
Seated DB side laterals 3 sets
Cable side laterals 3 sets(What I did here was instead of pulling the cable across my body I had the same stance but grabbed the cable with my inside hand and pulled straight up, this exercise is great for maintaining tension 100% of the time as you cant lower the weight all the way down, if done correctly you hand should only come about 3/4 of the way down.
DB front raise lying on an incline bench 3 sets
A variation of a front/side lateral raise 3 sets, I don't even know whats its called, I just saw in a Kevin Levrone video and I do them from time to time
MTS iso lateral press 3 sets, tweaked the reps a bit, I did one rep with a 10 sec push then 3 normal reps 3 times over for a total of 12 reps each set

Had the delts ready to bust open after all of this!!!! Maybe they'll actually be a little sore tomorrow, which they never are, I can hammer delts all I want and I think maybe once in the past year they've actually been sore, and that's only slightly sore. Not that soreness has anything to do with growth, but a little soreness feels good.

Decided to do some abs today which I never do!!! 3 sets of 25 reps on a seated ab machine

3 sets of 25 reps for calfs on leg sled

Now that's my kinda session buddy.... Got turned on reading that lol

You know I love my volume ;)

Now that's my kinda session buddy.... Got turned on reading that lol

You know I love my volume ;)

Glad I could lend a hand at that lol gotta keep everybody in the mood brother :)

Hey when you do windshield wipers as Ive seen you call them, are those the rotator cuff stretch/exercise or what man? I don't even know the name of the one exercise I was doing but that might be it if its not the rotator cuff movement Im thinking bout.

Glad I could lend a hand at that lol gotta keep everybody in the mood brother :)

Hey when you do windshield wipers as Ive seen you call them, are those the rotator cuff stretch/exercise or what man? I don't even know the name of the one exercise I was doing but that might be it if its not the rotator cuff movement Im thinking bout.

That's just the name I give them, they are actually called 'Gironda Dumbell Swing/Raise'... let me see if I can find a link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=134Ynvnk8Vk

The reason I introduced them was because my traps started to overpower my side delts - this exercise pretty much eliminates trap involvement...

I particularly like them as the second exercise in a superset.... like this

Cable 1 arm lateral raise (set with left arm first, then right) - straight into Gironda's
Repeat, but change the lead arm on the raise to the right - Gironda's
I do 4 sets total - 2 sets leading on each arm...

I don't go heavy on the Gironda's - 18lbs is all I need - 22lbs on a good day. ;)

Last edited:
Back