Short inter-set rest blunts resistance exercise.......

anzel

Found this recent study very very interesting so I'm sure others will as well. It is commonly bellieved and touted by "experts" that shorter in between set rest periods generally up to a minute thus increasing training intensity is better for hypertrophy as opposed to longer rest periods. A belief that I held as well. But seems that it turns out according to this study that longer rest periods between sets is actually better for growth. I think however the 5 minutes quoted in the study is probably too long so I think that a 2-3 minute rest would be optimal. Study below:

Abstract

Background: Manipulating rest-recovery interval between sets of resistance exercise may influence training-induced muscle remodeling. The aim of this study was to determine the acute muscle anabolic response to resistance exercise performed with short or long inter-set rest intervals. Methods: In a parallel-group designed study, 16 males completed 4 sets of bilateral leg press and knee extension exercise at 75% of 1RM to momentary muscular failure, followed by ingestion of 25 g of whey protein. Resistance exercise sets were interspersed by 1 min (1 M; n = 8) or 5 min of passive rest (5 M; n = 8). Muscle biopsies were obtained at rest, 0, 4, 24 and 28 h post-exercise during a primed-continuous infusion of L-[ring-13C6]phenylalanine to determine myofibrillar protein synthesis (MPS) and intracellular signaling. Results: MPS rate increased above resting values over 0–4 h post-exercise in 1 M (76%; P = 0.047) and 5 M (152%;P < 0.001), and was significantly greater in 5 M (P = 0.001). MPS rates at 24–28 h post-exercise remained elevated above resting values (P < 0.05) and were indistinguishable between groups. Post-exercise p70S6KThr389 and rpS6Ser240/244 phosphorylation were reduced in 1 M compared with 5 M, whereas eEF2Thr56, TSC2Thr1462, AMPKThr172 phosphorylation and REDD1 protein were greater in 1 M compared with 5 M. Serum testosterone was greater at 20–40 min post-exercise and plasma lactate greater immediately post-exercise for 1 M vs. 5 M. Conclusions: Resistance exercise with short (1 M) inter-set rest duration attenuated myofibrillar protein synthesis during the early post-exercise recovery period compared with longer (5 M) rest duration, potentially through compromised activation of intracellular signalling.

Anzel
Euro-Pharmacies.net

Rest enough to lift max weight x reps is what I've always found worked best. Don't give a fuck if it's 30 sec or 10 min. I wait until I feel fully recovered and go back at it.

Where did the short rest theory come from? I always wondered if it wasn't based on some kind of metabolic conditioning crap or something.

Rest enough to lift max weight x reps is what I've always found worked best. Don't give a fuck if it's 30 sec or 10 min. I wait until I feel fully recovered and go back at it.

Where did the short rest theory come from? I always wondered if it wasn't based on some kind of metabolic conditioning crap or something.

I have to agree. I never look at a clock to determine when to do my next set.. I do my next set when I feel ready. It has taken be as long as 30 min to do 5 sets of squats before. Some days I can finish a workout in 30-45 min. My body tells me when to do my next set.

Back