Sinus issues taking its toll on me

I reached the point where I would try anything. I know, I had the same thought as you. I gotta say that it seems to work, though. If I start to kick out the green stuff that really clears it up. The best solution has been Zyrtec 3X/day. I've looked but I don't know if this is hard on the kidneys.

Omg my allergies were so bad I used two boxes of tissue Ed doc recommend allergy shots 2 times a week it helped but the doctor put me on Zyrtec 10 mg three times Ed and it made nothing's 85% better and now it is otc so get a box and try it see if it works for ya bra

I also have chronic sinus issues. For the last 4mths, I have been spraying zicam 3 to 4 times a day, into my nostrils to allow me to keep breathing. It is aweful to deal with. I think I should also see an ENT or Pulmonologist, cuz, my doc has put me on prednisone and antibiotics a few times, but, its not a long lasting solution.

I also have chronic sinus issues. For the last 4mths, I have been spraying zicam 3 to 4 times a day, into my nostrils to allow me to keep breathing. It is aweful to deal with. I think I should also see an ENT or Pulmonologist, cuz, my doc has put me on prednisone and antibiotics a few times, but, its not a long lasting solution.

Yup prednisone and antibiotics.... it's usually a patch and the issue resurfaces.

So far my outcome has been positive. I used budesonide in a neti rinse with saline solution. Sinuses cleared up and I slowly weaned off for until I no longer use it.
Also my asthma has been quiet and have not used the inhaler at all.

I've been battling similar since I was 10 years old, also my ears get blocked often, I use a netti pot occasionally and steam daily. The easiest thing for me is to get in the shower, put the water on fully hot, stand to the side and take deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth, twice a day, also there is a couple of methods from acupressure which also help, you can take a look on you tube. All those antibiotics will screw you up even more. Also another alternative is homeopathy, my daughter has the same as you for months on end, tried a new concoction from a homeopath dr friend, was clear in two weeks, this was recently. Hope this helps.

I've been battling similar since I was 10 years old, also my ears get blocked often, I use a netti pot occasionally and steam daily. The easiest thing for me is to get in the shower, put the water on fully hot, stand to the side and take deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth, twice a day, also there is a couple of methods from acupressure which also help, you can take a look on you tube. All those antibiotics will screw you up even more. Also another alternative is homeopathy, my daughter has the same as you for months on end, tried a new concoction from a homeopath dr friend, was clear in two weeks, this was recently. Hope this helps.

have you tried boiling a pot of hot water and putting your face up to it with a towel over your head?

Update: My CT scan showed heavy inflammation on my sinuses. The ENT that looked at me said that I may need surgery. Right now I am using a steroid (just add another one to the list LOL) that I put in my nasal rinse bottle and squirt it up into the sinuses. So far so good.

Now for those of you who may be facing the same issues , here is the deal with surgery. They remove the inflammation. What that means is they remove some of the sinus lining that is inflammed. As usual this only treats the symptoms not the problem.

Hey mate,

When you do the nasal rinse, do you tilt your head back or do you tilt your head forward?
What I have noticed is that a lot of people do the nasal rinse with their head tilt forward, and because of this, the saline solution only washes the front part of the nasal cavity, while leaving the back unwashed.

If we look at the anatomy of the nasal and oral cavity, the food that we eat (blue dots in the picture) goes through the oral cavity, and residues can and often get stuck in the back of the throat where there is a connection to the nasal cavity. All it takes is one microscopic food particle, and that's all the bacteria needs to grow.

2wd7bs0.jpg

Therefore, when you do the nasal rinse, the head needs to be tilted back so that the saline solution flows through the nasal cavity and into the back of the mouth to completely rinse away all the dirt, bacteria, and food that are stuck there. It will feel a bit strange, but you will get used to it.

Also, the best times to rinse is 1) after you brush your teeth at night after dinner, to wash out the food that gets trapped, 2) after you brush your teeth in the morning, to wash out the bacteria that was built up while you were asleep at night.

I used to have a pretty bad nasal infection with dark green phlegm, and all I did was using this saline rinse technique and I'm now nearly 100% normal without using any antibiotics.

Good luck, mate.

Last edited:
Hey mate,

When you do the nasal rinse, do you tilt your head back or do you tilt your head forward?
What I have noticed is that a lot of people do the nasal rinse with their head tilt forward, and because of this, the saline solution only washes the front part of the nasal cavity, while leaving the back unwashed.

If we look at the anatomy of the nasal and oral cavity, the food that we eat (blue dots in the picture) goes through the oral cavity, and residues can and often get stuck in the back of the throat where there is a connection to the nasal cavity. All it takes is one microscopic food particle, and that's all the bacteria needs to grow.

2wd7bs0.jpg

Therefore, when you do the nasal rinse, the head needs to be tilted back so that the saline solution flows through the nasal cavity and into the back of the mouth to completely rinse away all the dirt, bacteria, and food that are stuck there. It will feel a bit strange, but you will get used to it.

Also, the best times to rinse is 1) after you brush your teeth at night after dinner, to wash out the food that gets trapped, 2) after you brush your teeth in the morning, to wash out the bacteria that was built up while you were asleep at night.

I used to have a pretty bad nasal infection with dark green phlegm, and all I did was using this saline rinse technique and I'm now nearly 100% normal without using any antibiotics.

Good luck, mate.
interesting read, for me forward, backwards, side to side to get the best rinsing out works.

sounds like something is in there causing the issue. use those salt water/sea water nose cleaners. the ones that look like a tea pot that you pour down your nose or a spray you down your nose cavities, flush it out good and then do the antibiotic run.
i had a similar issue... went into infection did run of meds and i was blowing my nose hard going crazy with this and ... well a cannabis leaf came out!!!
I am NOT shitting you.... i must have smelled it too hard and didnt even notice a chunk of leaf went into my nasal cavity.... this was like 15yrs ago

sounds like something is in there causing the issue. use those salt water/sea water nose cleaners. the ones that look like a tea pot that you pour down your nose or a spray you down your nose cavities, flush it out good and then do the antibiotic run.
i had a similar issue... went into infection did run of meds and i was blowing my nose hard going crazy with this and ... well a cannabis leaf came out!!!
I am NOT shitting you.... i must have smelled it too hard and didnt even notice a chunk of leaf went into my nasal cavity.... this was like 15yrs ago

LMAO!!! That shit must have smelled awesome!!!!

I haven't read through all the replies, but here is my experience, and 2 cents. For the last 10 years, or so I have battled with what you are describing at least a couple times a year. I can always tell when it's starting, because I can feel something in the back of my throat constantly. It develops into heavy chest congestion, and I hack and cough so hard I give myself headaches. Once I have it full blow the only thing that gets rid of it is antibiotics. Taking antibiotics twice a year every year isn't the best idea. Especially since I'm allergic to cillin's and sulfa's.

A doctor recommended I get a CT scan to see my sinuses. The ENT looked at it and said my drainage pathways were all but non-existent. So, surgery it was. They use the same thing they use to open up veins to open my drainage pathways. It healed all up, and I got the issue again. I do find that taking generic mucinex, really does help with moderating the issue, but it won't get rid of it.

What I have found that keeps it bay is irrigating my sinuses. I do it once a day every day. I use the NeilMed Sinugator. I like this irrigator a lot better than a traditional Neti Pot, because it shoots the water through. Some of the saline packets come with the unit, however you can buy refill boxes as well. I'll put that link below. Also, you ONLY use distilled water.

NeilMed Sinugator:
https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Sinugator-Cordless-Pulsating-Premixed/dp/B005UO6NRA

NeilMed Saline Packets:
https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Sinu...9&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=Neil+med+Slaine+Packs

Back