Any theories on this guys ? training time

darkwing86

Hey guys , so i have something i find interesting and want to get some theories on . I usually train 2h per day 5 days a week . My split is

Mon - chest and bi's - 1h each
Tues - Legs - 2h
Wed - back - 2h
Thursday - tri's and shoulders
Fri - abs and traps 1h each

It has taken me some time build up to this time . However , the other day i was crunched for time and went in and only trained back for 1 hour instead of my usual 2h and today i feel more sore then usual . This isnt the first time ive noticed my muscles feeling more sore from a shorter workout then a longer one . Any theories on why this may be .
**and incase anyone asks i like to keep my triceps away from chest day cause they get worked with chest a bit , then i let them heal and kill them again when they are fresh . same with biceps and back

Knowing you have less time you probably shortened your rest periods pushed alot harder which shocked your body which will in turn spark new growth.

I must ask what do you do for biceps for an hour ? U must go heavy and rest a lot or do a lot of set s. I propose the day you were pressed for time you speeded stuff up, got weaker in that recup was not AS if you waited x between sets.
If I may I ll lay a typical w o I do but I ain t big..just wannabe harder.
Chest---warm up then do 2 warm up sets and 4 working sets. (225 x 12-14) on inclne s are my 1 compound movement for chest then we isolate and superset w a little body part like say trap s (315 x 15) and ease into side delts 30s x 10-12, rear delt s ( 20 s) and upright rows supersetted with dumbbell fly s ( 65 s x 12-15) cable cross overs or dip s or pec dec .

12-14 WORKING SET S FOR CHEST and 9-12 for the smaller items. 22-24 sets in 65-75 ms. We are gasping, sweating and do not talk much except to spot and indicate a target rep range or remind each other THAT joint may go. But I m as big as I can be. U maybe, probably are going beast mode. My partner right now s a 18 yr old fitness queen and a pit bull. 1 minute to 90 seconds between sets....but I need to lean out more.

What s ur set count on back ? 22 ? Rest time. ?

your shorter workout was stressed for time , you probably pushed harder and trained with higher intensity with the shorter workout . that equates to more muscle recruitment and more stimulation.

it is clear that your current split is more a volume based program then a high intensity program. As no one can train legs for 2 hours straight with high intensity (its just simply physiological impossible for 99% of us) . switching to high intensity for your shorter workout is 'shocking' the muscle with more intensity. its probably a good thing to mix this up , and back off the volume on occasions and do more high intensity .

I'm guessing if you mixed this up, volume for a week, then low volume high intensity for a week, then back to volume .. or some sort of undulating periodization, etc. you'll get more growth over time then just simply the high volume split you are currently using.

See i would have to say i kind of incorporate a bit of all aspects of training ina a day . Being i go heavy when i first get in , then as i tire off i go lighter and higher reps .
This would be my back routine ...
Seated row 100 reps total - i do sets of 15 and 10 reps until i hit 100
lat pulldown wide grip 50 reps 4 sets of 10 then close reverse grip pulldown 50 reps sets of 10
seated low grip row 100 reps - sets of 15 and 10
incline bench lying down row 100 reps 15 and 10 reps per set
then reverse flies 100 reps sets of 15 and 10
machine reverse flies 100 reps sets of 15 and 10
and cable reverse flies 100 reps 15 - 10 reps

Yes its very high volume and very intense with very little rest . 500 reps on lats . 300 on reverse delts and traps (reverse flies) which i do with back back day 800 reps total

I can honestly say it has to be...no way I could maintain intensity for 2 hour s like that...powerlifting work out s took a lot longer back in the day but we RECOVERED to the point where our pulses, though not down to a normal range, were much lower than when the heavy pull s or squat sets were done.
But as I " I m as big as I want..."

It s my bone s and over 210-215 I ache from knee s to back and hips. I m leaning out . (2O4.5 )

DW what s your goal ? I d say to grow you d best eat the plate too...not bashing..just...2 hour s 3, 4 5oo rep s. Maybe I m just old now ?

Last edited:
im trying to add some size . my goal is to be around 212 area . I dont think id ever enter that divison . but for my height 5'8" that where i would like to be

To be honest Teutonic im not sure , just because ive been cutting down for a bit , and the numbers are realy hard on my mind so i havent been looking at them . Honestly , im guessing around 210lb , but still maybe 14% bf . Thats just a guess though

And i like something in between bodybuilding and physique . A little more on the muscle then most physique , but not a mass monster . So muscular but still keeping aesthetics

Back