sodium hydroxide question

mic79

I baught sodium hydroxide from a chemical company recently to make TNE.How does this compare to the red devil lye?It says "0.05 N " on the label.Is it fully saturated?Im new to this.Help appreciated.

bro if you injest this stuff you may die. if this stuff touches your skin it can burn you. if it gets in your eyes it can cause blindness. very nasty stuff.

The methanol disolves the syno pellets.On conversion instructions for TNE it said to add a tablespoon of lye at a time to a glass of water to saturate it before adding it to the methanol/syno mixture to take out the estradiol and ester.I just needed to know if i could use the ready saturated sodium hydroxide i purchased.I couldnt find the damn Red devil Lye online.

pullinbig said:
so the lye destroys the estridiol? or you still have to filter and rince?

In theory, the sodium hydroxide is supposed to remove the ester from the Estradiol Benzoate, allowing it to be washed from the test.

In reality, using just sodium hydroxide does not work..........the reason being: Estradiol is soluble in an alkali solution....estradiol benzoate is not. If you look at the way Animal does his syno conversions......he first uses 1 chemical to remove the Benzoate ester......then the sodium hydroxide comes into play, making the solution alkaline, so that the estradiol with no ester can be washed away.
Once the ester has been removed, you only need a very SMALL AMOUNT of sodium hydroxide to complete the experiment.

When doing a syno conversion, always make sure to rinse your powder very well with clean water, and then check it with a ph strip, to be certain that you have rinsed away all the sodium hydroxide (especially if you are using multiple tablespoons as stated above), as you would really not want to be injecting it.

Back