SP's on/off-season log

Weight 225

Long, slow day at work...got a few naps in though and all my meals, though because I was bored I was hungry

Went for 20min walk after work then headed over to powerhouse, decided against the sketchy "stair mill" there and did some more cardio on a treadmill

I think that's the first actual treadmill cardio I've done in over a year...not in a hurry to do that again either

Went for a tan, ate my preWO meal then worked out legs with my sister before heading home

Cooking eggs and watching last weekend's motoGP race as I type this...

Wed - legs/calves (base day - universe wk6)

warmup - incline treadmill

seated hamstring curl - four warmup sets then five working sets of 10 reps, quick pace...just long enough for the other person to do their set in between working sets

adductor machine - one warmup and four working sets of 15 reps each

incline leg press - this is the heavy cybex one, pyramided weight up doing sets of 12 with just enough rest in between sets to change plates and let the other person do their set
12 reps x 3 plates per side
12 x 4 plates
12 x 5
12 x 6
12 x 7
12 x 8...honestly this feels like about 12 x 12 (or 24 total) on a hammer strength machine...could've kept going but we would have needed to rest a bit between sets to keep getting 12 reps

single-legged leg press - dropped down to 2.5 plates per side here and did four sets of 12 reps per leg, really focusing on the glute in the whole then squeezing the quad to lockout

smith squat - one warmup set of 8x125, then three hard working sets of 20 reps x 225lbs...took the wind out of me and needed a few minutes in between to recover

smith SLDL - one feeder set then four working sets of 12-15 reps, not lockout out to keep constant tension on the hamstrings
+++
superset seated calf raise - four heavy sets of 10 reps followed by a 10sec hard stretch on each set

glute kickback machine - four sets of 8 reps per leg, nothing fancy just a hard squeeze on each rep

PM cardio - 45mins LISS on a steep incline preWO, then had some time to kill so I tanned and ate before heading back to do legs

Weight 225

Another day, another dollar...by the time work was done I was zonked so I came home for a nap before hitting the gym

My least favourite (but ever-important) bodypart day so I put on my big boy pants and got it done

Thu - arms/abs/calves (main - universe wk6)

warmup - indoor track

seated DB curl - one warmup set and four working sets, pyramiding weight up 5lbs at a time for 15/12/10/8 reps per set respectively
+++
superset rope tricep pushdown - same thing, one warmup and four pyramiding work sets

floor/vacuum crunches - these are the ones where I exhale all my air then crunch only a few inches off the mat, for 20 reps per set...four working sets

hammer DB curl - four sets of 12, very heavy such that I got about 8-10 reps with perfect form and had to cheat the last few up
+++
superset assist-machine pushdown - these are interesting, you push down on the knee or foot support for a pullup/chinup assist machine...four sets of 16-20 reps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH26L7mKKUQ

ez-bar preacher curl - three sets of 12 reps, squeezing hard at the top of each
+++
superset PJR pullover - did these instead of skullcrushers for a change, very cool exercise for triceps...3 sets of 16 reps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaukyaiL_JM

standing calf raise - four sets of 12, heavy...stretching for 10/12/15/20 seconds hard after each set

cardio - 30 hard minutes postWO on the stair mill then a few laps around the track again to cool down

Weight 223

Woke up and went grocery shopping for a BBQ at work that I helped organize

That allowed me to pick up a few plain turkey breasts along with the beef and veggie patties for everyone else so I was able to somewhat 'join in'

Short afternoon nap, then hit the gym for weights and my brother-in-law joined me for cardio when he got off work

Fri - chest/back (pump day - universe wk6)

warmup - indoor track...I interspersed each lap first with the medium grip pullups then hanging leg raise/rope crunch combo

medium-grip pullup - bodyweight, four sets of 10...nothing fancy just slow and controlled with good ROM

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 16
+++
superset rope crunch - 16 reps after each set of leg raises

super-wide pullup - going really wide here, extending for a full stretch of the lats on every rep and did four sets of 8, again with bodyweight

supinated-grip low row - used individual handles but at the same time on these, really squeezing the lower lats throughout the ROM...four sets of 12

straight-arm 'pulldown' - using a flat bar on a high cable, I bent at the waist to get a good stretch and did a pullover-type movement, four sets of 15 reps

HSPL machine press - pyramiding weight up doing sets of 8 until I couldn't get 8, used the plate loaded machine but kept breaks to 30-45sec max so the pump was great

cable crossover - I rarely do these since john doesn't include them often but they were nice for a change, did four sets of 12 with a hard squeeze at full contraction

stretch pushup - hands on low aerobic steps (2-3" elevation) for a deeper pec stretch, did four bodyweight sets to failure
+++
superset standing calf raise - just did four sets of 10 pyramiding weight up again followed by 10sec hard stretch on every rep

cardio - 30 hard minutes postWO on the stair mill, bit of stretching then hit the shower...eating some eggs and salad now

Weight 222

This was a _long day_...

Woke up early, loaded one of my ducatis (the troublesome tricolore) into my buddy's truck and we headed down to the dyno in calgary

Dropped it off and continued south to pick up a pair of engines he's hoping to use for parts on his project car

They aren't big displacement detroit blocks but those fuckers sure are heavy...we loaded them and headed back home

I planned ahead and brought four frozen meals with me, ended up needed three of them...we'd stop at a gas station for me to heat one up ever 2.5-3hrs and had one 'off the plan' stop at Earls but I stuck to coffee and a garden salad (no nuts or dressing) with a grilled chicken breast

Finally got home, helped unload the engines then headed to powerhouse for my weekly workout with my buddy / old posing coach

He hurt his rib, or something...didn't want to train legs other than a few hamstring exercises so I did my workout while he did arms

No cardio but posed (and recorded) immediately postWO...you can see how beat my legs are, I can barely flex them in the videos

Sat - legs (base day(2) - universe wk6)

warmup - incline treadmill, 15mins+

prone hamstring curl - three warmup sets of 15 reps, pyramiding to a relatively tough 15 rep weight then pounded out 3 sets of 30 at that weight. Hamstrings were super pumped, stretched hard between sets and really had to dig to get the final reps on the last set especially

incline leg press - again, this is that heavy leg press that feels about 1.5x heavier at any # of plates than a hammer strength...

15 reps x 2 plates per side (180lbs + sled weight, claimed 200lbs on the machine) ...short rest periods between sets
15 x 3 plates (270)
15 x 4 (360)
15 x 5 (450)
15 x 6 (540)
15 x 7 (630) ...took a few extra seconds here between 6, 7 and 8 plate sets, maybe 60-75 instead of 30-45sec
15 x 8 (720) ...topped out here, probably had one more in me but I wanted to save some for the next exercise

HSPL V-squat machine - used this instead of the 'tru-squat' that john always uses, pyramided weight up doing sets of 8...focusing on quad sweep

8 reps x 1 plate per side
8 x 2 plates
8 x 3 plates
8 x 4 plates
8 x 5 plates...did a slow-ish dropset here since I was by myself, unloaded 2 plates and kept doing sets of 8
+ 8 x 4 plates (unload)
++ 8 x 3 plates (unload)
....8 x 2, 8 x 1, then to failure with no plates (about 25 reps until I collapsed)

seated leg extension - four sets of 10 partials from the extended position first then 10 partials from the stretched position
+++
superset sissy squat - bodyweight to failure, I decided 10 was my target and just barely got it on all four sets

BB SLDL - three sets of 12 reps, then a fourth set of 25 (with less weight) followed by some ham stretching

posing - no cardio since it was a hard leg day but my buddy finished his arm workout so we immediately headed upstairs for our weekly 'pose down'...again my legs were demolished from the workout, especially hams so my back poses were pretty sad from the waist down unfortunately:

Weight 222

Another super busy weekend-day...try not to complain but sometimes I feel like I get more rest on workdays!

Woke up and met a potential client at the gym, talked to her about competing etc...wasn't pushy so I'll just see if she's really interested

Then I met my brother in law for coffee, we were going to train but he had to head back home so I went home too for a quick nap

Back to the gym for arms, abs, calves then had to head to my wife's young cousin's birthday party

Straight from that party home, grabbed my motorcycle helmet and to my parents' house for another party

Worked on my other bike, got it running fairly easily and eventually we left and hit the rec centre for evening cardio

After that we went grocery shopping, put gas in the wife's truck and now I'm home waiting for the chicken to cook on the BBQ...

Sun - arms/abs/calves (optional - 6 weeks out)

warmup - indoor track

supinated DB curl - one warmup then five working sets, pyramiding weight up by 5lbs per set...interspersed each set with a lap around the track

tricep rope pushdown - six sets, pyramiding weight up again, this time I superset with abs
+++
unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15
+++
superset rope crunch - 15 reps after each set of leg raises

cross-body DB curl - four sets of 12 reps per arm
+++
superset reverse-grip EZ-bar curl - three sets of 12

CGBP - pyramiding weight up, four working sets of 16/12/10/8 reps
+++
superset standing calf raise - one warmup and four working sets of 10 reps each followed by a 10sec hard stretch, also pyramiding weight up slightly

cardio - 30mins LISS walking around the track, then later in the day (at night) I went back and did some more laps to warmup then 30 hard minutes on the stairmill

weekly progress pictures - bit of a struggle to get mrs.SP out of bed this morning but I think it was worthwhile as this is the first set of pictures in awhile where I was relatively happy with most of the shots, I didn't pose them perfectly but I'm starting to be comfortable with my condition / being on pace again: May15/2016 - 6 weeks out - Album on Imgur

x6wCggfl.jpg

6S6NisOm.jpg
hefTEJam.jpg

pIhz0i5m.jpg
hL2pOI8m.jpg

Last edited:
Weight 221

Good day today, much more relaxing to be back at work than killing myself running from errand to event to errand on the weekend

Slept in a bit, went to work, napped then met a friend at powerhouse for a solid chest/delt workout

Mon - chest/delts/abs/calves (base day - universe wk7/6 weeks out)

no warmup - no track at powerhouse, just changed and hit the weights right away

incline DB press - pyramiding weight up doing sets of 8, 3/4 lockout...probably about 8 sets total, call 3 or 4 of them 'work sets'

incline BB press - pyramiding weight here too, a few less sets than the DBs...got to working weight after two feeders then did three work sets

chest dip - bodyweight to near failure, approximately 15-16 reps per set really slow and stretchy
+++
superset reverse pec dec - four sets of 25 reps, had to rest/pause on the last few reps of the final set

regular/chest pec dec - four sets of 10 full reps with a hard flex/squeeze + 10 partials from the stretch position
+++
superset side DB lateral raise - four sets of 8, heavy with a bit of body english on the last few reps

HSPL shoulder press - four sets of 8-12 reps, heavy but full ROM

headed home for some food here, eggwhite omelette and some kale salad then saddled back up to go do some evening cardio

cardio - 30mins hard on the stairmill, pushed it and 'accomplished' more according to the readout than yesterday but it certainly wasn't as difficult

standing calf raise - three heavy sets of 10/12/15 reps, followed by a hard 20 sec stretch after each set

ab machine - three sets of 20 reps, minimal rest since the gym was closing on me

Weight 223

Good day at work, went for a walk outside because the weather was so beautiful then headed to powerhouse to train back

Will head to the rec centre in awhile to do some cardio and maybe a bit more posing practice...

Tue - back/abs (base day - universe wk7)

warmup - incline treadmill, 15mins

one-arm DB row - did these instead of meadows' rows as the landmine attachment was in use...three feeder sets then four working sets of 10, quite heavy

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15 reps
+++
rope crunch - 15 reps after each set of leg raises

seated/low cable row - four (or five?) sets of 12, bit looser form than usual with a bit of lower back involvement..pyramiding weight up each set

neutral-grip pullup - four bodyweight sets of 8 very strict, slow/controlled reps followed by a 20-30sec hang to stretch the lats on each set

DB pullover - same as usual, shortened ROM to keep constant tension on the lats, four sets of 12 here as well

hyperextension - bodyweight, three sets of 25 which was pretty much failure by the 2nd / 3rd set

reverse pec dec - threw these in to hit the rear delts again, even used the same weight as yesterday and just hammered them to finish things off

posing - still working hard on the lat spread(s), one of my friends took a few pictures for me: May 17/2016 - lat poses

vaR3OkIl.jpg

edit:

cardio - went to the rec centre with mrs.SP and did some laps around the track to warmup then 30mins hard on the stair mill

Beautiful night so I headed out for a quick rip on my track bike, not entirely street legal so I didn't want to go too far: 996SPS

8zP8PDkl.jpg

Last edited:
Weight 222

I was really damn hungry last night, woke up several times...ended up eating a protein bar which 'ate' into my breakfast macros and set me up to be hungry a bit longer

Good day at work though, threat of rain all day so I drove my car which was fortuitous because it was pouring by the time I left to go meet my sister for leg day at powerhouse

Wed - legs (pump day - universe wk7)

adductor machine - one warmup and four working sets of 12-15 slow reps, heavy and very controlled since we weren't supersetting it was easier to concentrate on these

hip flexor cable work - the program called for the hip flexor machine which is one of the few things powerhouse doesn't have so we did 4 sets of 15 per leg using that ankle attachment on a low cable
+++
superset hard posing - for me at least, I hit a front relaxed (working on tweaking the form a little bit at the same time) focusing on tensing those upper thigh muscles hard for 20sec

seated hamstring curl - five sets of 15 slow, controlled but heavy reps
+++
superset prone hamstring curl - 8 reps after each set of seated curls, a little less controlled but very hard/heavy here

incline leg press - using the heavy cybex machine, we did sets of 20 pyramiding weight up

20 reps x 2 plates per side (180lbs + sled...guessing 150+)
20 x 3 plates (270)
20 x 4 (360)
20 x 5 (450)
20 x 6 (540)
20 x 7 (630)...I thought this would be my last but my sister wanted to do one more set (with a different weight) so I did one more
20 x 8 (720)...this was pretty heavy but was happy to get it done without having to rest/pause: https://youtu.be/qBURYnsd5x0

Now unfortunately the other piece of equipment we needed wasn't available (a prowler sled to drag backwards) so we ended up finishing with walking lunges...

walking lunge - four sets of 10 paces per leg holding 35lbs plates in either hand

cardio - 30mins easy LISS postWO on the treadmill on a 5 - 10 degree incline (varying) while going over the next few week's prep plans with my sister

Weight 222

Went from no meetings for most of the week to two meetings today, which was annoying but at least time flew by

Managed to bail out of work relatively early and hit the gym straight away for a pump-style workout

Thu - chest/delts/tris/abs/calves (pump day - universe wk7)

warmup - indoor track

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15, did these interspersed with laps around the track
+++
superset rope crunch - 15 reps after each set of hanging leg raises

HSPL banded chest press - three warmup sets, then three working sets of 15 reps with a hard flex/lockout on every rep
+++
superset seated calf raise - one warmup then three heavy working sets of 12 reps, nothing fancy today

decline DB press - very slight decline with a plate under one side of a flat bench, did three heavy sets of 10 with a really full ROM (deep stretch then lockout)

cable flye - unusual for john to include these, especially two weeks in a row but they felt good, did three sets of 12 with a 1-2sec flex/squeeze at full contraction

assist machine tricep pushdown - I made a slight adjustment here, rather than pushing on the edge of the pad closest to where you would stand, I climbed up on to the foot rest area then pushed down on the far side of the pad which let me isolate the triceps much better...did four sets of 10-12 reps with the full stack in this manner

dips - did these leaning forward with more of a chest focus but still hitting triceps as well, three bodyweight sets to failure (approx. 15 reps) going only about 2/3 of the way up each time

HSPL shoulder press - three sets of 8 heavy reps with a full/hard lockout

side lateral DB raise - five sets of 8 reps here with only 45 sec rest between sets, pretty strict form which got really hard to maintain on the final reps of the fourth and fifth sets

no cardio, yet at least...friend is having a birthday BBQ which mrs.SP and I promised to attend so we'll show our faces then hopefully get some evening cardio in later before bed

edit:

cardio - went back to the rec centre, did some laps around the track to warmup then hit the stairmill hard for 30 minutes, watched some daredevil s2 then a few more laps to cooldown

posing - 10 mins after cardio, running through the mandatories and really working on evening out my lat spreads as best as I could without someone there to critique

Last edited:
Thanks snowpatrol for his information that you shared with us, you look amazing
incline BB press - two feeder sets then three working sets of 6 reps, increasing weight slightly...pausing briefly about 1" above the clavicles on each rep
8 x 135 (feeder)
8 x 185
6 x 225
6 x 245
6 x 275 (pretty tough with the pauses in there)

You mean 8 sets and each one you do 135 approaches??And other exercises also?

Thanks snowpatrol for his information that you shared with us, you look amazing
incline BB press - two feeder sets then three working sets of 6 reps, increasing weight slightly...pausing briefly about 1" above the clavicles on each rep
8 x 135 (feeder)
8 x 185
6 x 225
6 x 245
6 x 275 (pretty tough with the pauses in there)

You mean 8 sets and each one you do 135 approaches??And other exercises also?

Thanks, and you're welcome

Not quite

The first line is one set of 8 reps w/ 135lbs (a plate on either side of the bar)
Next is 8 reps, 185lbs total (1.5 plates per side I believe)
Then into the working sets of 6 reps each, using 225, 245 and finally 275lbs

Weight 219

Short day at work, kind of front loaded my hours this week so I was able to take off after a meeting around 2pm...home for a quick nap, snack then went for a tan

After tanning I had to run home, eat again, check the post office in case my four-weeks-overdue posing trunks finally arrived (negative) then finally hit the gym

Ended up having to cut a few bicep exercises short due to time constraints to meet friends for a jam/music practice session

Fri - back/biceps/abs/calves (pump day - universe wk7)

warmup - indoor track

HSPL chest-supported horizontal row - using the pronated grip, did a few feeder sets to find a hard 10 rep weight then four working sets of 10
+++
superset regular/floor crunch - four sets of 30

assisted chinup - using minimal weight on the machine, kind of just enough to force me to go slow I did four sets of 10 going from a full stretch to a really high chin/contraction

smith deadlift - did six sets of six heavy reps...it may not be immediately obvious how these are done, here's john coaching ken jackson in a video: https://youtu.be/hwCPi8cR0Ak?t=20s
+++
superset standing calf raise - four sets of 20 heavy reps followed by a 10sec hard stretch

DB pullover - using the typical shortened ROM, I did four slow but heavy sets of 12 reps
+++
superset hammer DB curl - three sets of 12 reps per arm, alternating arms on every rep

I ended up cutting out some BB and preacher curls for time's sake unfortunately, I'll make sure to either tack that onto my leg workout tomorrow or address biceps again on Sunday...

cardio - 30mins on the stairmill postWO followed by a few laps around the track to cool down

Weight 221

Busy day, but good so far...woke up and met my friend/client for coffee, his show is four weeks away and happily he's on track (thanks keto!)

I came home, napped, did a bit of laundry, had some fun with mrs.SP then headed to the gym to meet my sister and old posing coach/friend for a leg workout

Got a solid one in, posed a bit, had a quick protein bar then two guys I know showed up to work on posing for an hour

They're both looking great too, posing has come a long way so I'm excited to see how everyone does over the next month or so

Sat - legs/calves (base day - universe wk7)

prone hamstring curl - did four warmup sets of 10 reps, really full ROM pyramiding weight up then four working sets
15 x 160
12 x 180
10 x 200
10 x 220...had to improvise a little here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

cybex (heavy) incline leg press - same idea as usual (lately) except we pyramided up doing sets of 10 instead of 15 or 20 reps

10 reps x 2 plates per side (180)
10 x 3 plates (270)
10 x 4 (360)
10 x 5 (450)
10 x 6 (540)
10 x 7 (630)
10 x 8 (720)
10 x 9 (810)...I swear this felt like a dozen plates would on a hammer strength machine, but wanted to go a bit heavier since this is a 'base' day
10 x 10 (900)...had to help my legs with my hands on knees for the last 2-3 reps to be honest but it wasn't much, more reassurance than anything

highbar ATG squat - haven't done these in awhile, and having gone pretty hard/heavy on the leg press everything felt much heavier than I remembered

8 x 135
8 x 225
8 x 275
8 x 315...this felt heavy af but I wasn't going to be defeated with three plates
6+2 x 365...needed about a 2-3 sec pause after the first six reps to get the last two out, and almost failed but managed to lockout and rack the eigth

seated quad extension - 8 super heavy partials from the mid to full (lockout) range of the motion, flexing quads as hard as possible for a brief second at the top of each rep
+++
superset sissy squat - using the ankle-grabber machine-thing, bodyweight to near failure after each set of leg extensions, approximately 8 reps each time

seated faux-donkey calf raise machine - four sets of 12 heavy reps, pyramiding up slightly on each set and getting a good stretch at the end

cardio - 20mins fairly easy on the incline treadmill again postWO with my sister while discussing her prep, life, her suggestion that I should transition to classic physique and what movie to see

posing - ran through the mandatories twice this time and did kind of a shoddy set of quarter turns...

[video=youtube;Goo-Azw0Eg8]Mandatories (1)[/video]
[video=youtube;te_U6f5Q23s]Mandatories (2)[/video]
[video=youtube;hgsuaJwnfjA]Quarters[/video]

Sounds like Neighbours 2 is on the agenda, so I'm cooking some steak and will bring half of it to the movie with me - hah!

Weight 220

Stomach was terrible today, I ate too many shitty protein bars yesterday between teaching posing and the movie

So I'm hoping that's what caused it and definitely will avoid that repeating that mistake, because talk about a crappy day...

I did manage to get a workout done, ate dinner with the inlaws then made it through a tough cardio session however so there's that, at least

Sun - arms/abs/calves (optional - 5 weeks out)

warmup - indoor track

stretchy ab-crunch machine - I normally don't like ab machines but this one is pretty good, it lets you extend fully without hurting your low back, exhale then crunch down...did four sets of 20
+++
superset hyperextension machine - four sets of 20 heavy reps

cross-body hammer DB curl - four sets, pyramiding weight up, 15/12/10/8 reps then finished with a quadruple dropset

rope tricep pushdown - four sets, also pyramiding weight up with the same rep scheme and finished with another dropset
+++
superset reverse grip tricep pushdown - four sets of 10 immediately after each set of rope pushdowns

BB 1.5 curls - three sets of 8 reps, each rep is one full and one half rep from the bottom to halfway up

one-arm cable curl - four sets of 15 reps per arm
+++
superset PJR pullover - four sets of 15 also

standing calf raise - three "calf killer" sets, each set is 10 reps, 10 sec iso-hold, 10 reps, 10 sec iso-hold, 10 reps and finally a third 10 sec iso-hold

At this point I actually went to the inlaws after my workout, ate and then went back to the gym to do my cardio since my stomach was really bugging me...

cardio - few laps around the track to warmup, 30 minutes on the stairmill then a few laps and some posing while I cooled down before heading home

weekly progress shots - mrs.SP wasn't feeling well but obliged and took the usual pictures for the week: May22/2016 - 5 weeks out - Album on Imgur

VZjSmLyl.jpg

0rMeVrMm.jpg
8Bhecajm.jpg

Weight 218

My stomach kept me up during the night so when I finally got to sleep it was pretty much morning, luckily since it was a long weekend I was able to sleep in past noon

Mrs.SP and I did some errands, tried to hit costco but it was closed unfortunately so we went to the usual grocery store to buy meal prep materials and some other errands

Came home, had a quick nap then hit the gym with my brother in law, heavy workout with tough cardio afterwards then we went to look at a Jetta he's interested in buying

Mon - chest/delts/abs/calves (base day - universe wk8)

warmup - indoor track

flat DB press - pyramiding weight up doing sets of 12, I really didn't get very heavy on these just focused on a good full ROM, approximately 3 working sets

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15 reps
+++
superset rope crunch - 15 reps after each set of leg raises

incline BB press - I think I realized why my strength seemed a bit down, even though I didn't go hard I did hit triceps yesterday and on top of that I had almost zero carbs in me preWO
12 x 135lbs
12 x 185lbs
10 x 225lbs
8 x 245lbs
5 x 265lbs...failed on sixth rep

HSPL chest press - four sets of 8 reps with a hard flex at the top of each rep, went pretty heavy which meant on a few sets I only got 6-7 reps so I added as many partials
+++
superset seated calf raise - three sets of 10 full ROM reps, 10 partials from the stretch position and a 10 sec hard stretch

bent-over rear lateral DB raise - four sets of 20 reps, got pumped on the first set and only got better (worse?) as time went on
+++
superset chest dip - three sets of 15 bodyweight reps which was pretty much failure, only coming 3/4 of the way up but going as deep as possible for a tremendous stretch

DB six-ways - these are killer, did three sets of 10 reps with pretty light DBs and it lit the anterior delts up: https://youtu.be/E-cCXkSi7IQ

side lateral DB raise - four sets of 8 reps, nothing fancy
+++
superset assist-machine tricep pushdown - four sets of 10, heavy

cardio - 30mins on the stairmill postWO, followed by a couple of laps around the track to cool down

Weight 219

I didn't want to go to work today...but I did, and eventually headed to powerhouse for a back workout

Home for a quick bite to eat now then I'll try to get my cardio done at the rec centre before it closes

Tue - back/abs/calves (base day - universe wk8)

one-arm BB row - three warmup sets, pyramiding weight up then three very heavy working sets of 12 reps...these were super tough, I probably went too heavy

smith deadlift - one feeler set then five sets of six, focusing on squeezing and keeping tension on the lats throughout both the concentric and eccentric

narrow-grip lat pulldown 'stretchers' - three sets of 10 reps: https://youtu.be/-hWBCW8V_U0

nautilus pull-over machine - four sets of 8 reps, fairly heavy and good/full ROM for excellent stretch and squeeze at each end of the motion
+++
superset seated calf raise - four sets of 15 heavy reps followed by 15 sec hard stretch

seated ab crunch machine - four sets of 25-30 reps
+++
hyperextension machine - four sets of 20

edit: went home for a quick homemade "egg mcmuffin" (eggwhites, natural ham and veggies on a plain english muffin) then mrs.SP and I headed to the rec centre to get some cardio in

cardio - 15mins moderate walk around the track to warmup then 30 hard minutes on the stair mill, another few laps to cool down then hit the showers, grocery store and home

Last edited:
I havent had the chance to pop in here much lately brother but youre looking great.....That RLS is sick. Keep it up and I know your gonna do some damage!

I havent had the chance to pop in here much lately brother but youre looking great.....That RLS is sick. Keep it up and I know your gonna do some damage!

Thank you amigo, always nice to have a buddy looking in / over your progress...hope to catch that workout with you soon! Show is June 25th if you're around... ;)

Weight 218

Ok day at work, had a nap and got a massage (staff 'perk') so that was nice...

Went for a tan, haircut then met my sister at powerhouse for a good leg workout

Wed - legs/calves (pump - universe wk8)

seated hamstring curl - one warmup then six working sets of 15 reps, only enough of a break between sets for the other person to get their reps in

adductor machine - one warmup and four working sets of 15, full stack of weight here

cybex ("heavy") leg press - using a high / wide foot stance with toes literally hanging over the edge of the platform to focus glutes/hams we did sets of 10 pyramiding up

10 reps x 2 plates per side (180lbs)
10 x 3 plates (270)
10 x 4 (360)
10 x 5 (450)
10 x 6 (540)
10 x 7 (630)
10 x 8 (720lbs)...could've done 10x9 or potentially 10x10 but I was starting to slow down and since this was a pump day I wanted to keep moving

smith front squat - one feeler set then four sets of 10, slightly pyramiding weight up on each set (just adding 10lbs per side) with super-deep ROM

seated leg extension - one leg at a time, 15 reps then the other leg for 15 reps, followed by a hard 20 sec quad stretch and then standing and flexing quads hard "10 times"

standing calf raise - four sets of 10-12 reps, full stack followed by a 10 sec stretch and then 20-30 bodyweight raises (to failure)

cardio - earlier in the day I went for a moderate/brisk 30min walk outside since it finally stopped raining and the sun came out for a bit

Weight 219

Didn't sleep very well last night, throat is sore and I feel a cold coming on :(

No chance to nap at work but I did bail out and train mid-afternoon with a friend at powerhouse

Didn't do cardio though, will head to the rec centre later to get that done

Thu - chest/delts/tris/abs/calves (pump - universe wk8)

incline DB press - three warmup sets and three working sets of 15 reps going to full lockout this time, these were tough!

incline smith press - one feeler set then three working sets of 10-12 reps, narrower grip than usual and going all the way down to the chest + locking out at the top

pec dec - three sets of 10 full reps + 10 partials from the stretch position

assist machine tricep pushdown - five sets of 10-12 reps
+++
superset overhead rope tricep extension - five sets of 10 reps, not locking out just going 3/4 of the way which makes it MUCH tougher believe it or not

unsupported hanging leg raise - did these by themselves without the rope crunches, 16/17/18/20 slow/methodical reps per set

seated DB press - four sets of 8 fairly heavy reps, was pretty tired by this point though so the DBs weren't overly heavy
+++
superset bent over DB rear lateral raise - four sets of 20

machine side lateral - four sets of 10 reps with a 1 sec flex/squeeze at the top of (as many as possible) reps
+++
superset seated 'donkey' calf raise - four sets of 12 full + 12 partial + 12 sec stretch

cardio: 15mins warmup on the track, 30mins hard on the stair mill then 5-10 mins to cooldown again on the track afterwards

Last edited:
Weight 217

Finally friday...much sicker today than I was yesterday but I made it to work since I had a meeting but bailed shortly after

Figured I deserved a workout so I headed to powerhouse but made sure to wipe the equipment down (for once) to avoid spreading my cold around

Fri - back/biceps/abs/calves (pump day - universe wk8)

seated cable row - used D handles and a pronated (rather than supinated) grip today, two warmup and four working sets of 12 reps, pyramiding weight up slightly

smith machine deadlift - did these instead of the calf raise machine row since powerhouse didn't quite have the right kind of calf machine...five sets of 6 reps on the smith

narrow/supinated pullup - three (four?) bodyweight sets of 10 reps
+++
superset regular crunch - four sets of 30 reps

nautilus pull-over machine - did these instead of DB pullovers just because I love the machine, four sets of 12 reps
+++
seated calf raise - two warmup sets and four or five heavy working sets of 12 reps followed by a hard 10-12 sec stretch on each set

one-arm hammer DB curl - 12 reps on one arm then 12 on the other, four sets of this

cross-body DB curl - three sets of 10

preacher curl machine - three sets of 10 with a really hard squeeze at the top of each rep to finish things off

that was it for the resistance training, changed out, ate and shot the shit with a few people then I'll head to the rec centre later to do my cardio...

edit: picked up mrs.SP and we headed to the rec centre

cardio - indoor track to warmup, 30mins hard on the stairmill then a quick couple of laps to cooldown before hitting the grocery store and home

Last edited:
Back