Sterile oil or not?

hammer21

MFF: it's the only way.
Does anyone worry about buying oil from the internet. I mean does it need to be the filtered or sterile oil that I have used in the past or can it be just grapeseed oil from the health store? Do grocery stores sell cottonseed oil?
I don't heat final product. I use 5%BA and 15%BB in all of my solutions. No problems ever, but I purchase filtered soy or cottonseed oil and I just was wondering could I go to the store instead of ordering online?

Thanks for the info. I read a post that talked about heating the oil in a muffin pan to sterilize it and wasn't sure if this was beneficial or necessary.

hammer21 said:
Thanks for the info. I read a post that talked about heating the oil in a muffin pan to sterilize it and wasn't sure if this was beneficial or necessary.
lol. I don't know if I've heard that one before or not.

I read it in the chemical forum on this board. It is in a sticky by trevdog about powder conversions. Does anyone use his methods?

hammer21 said:
I read it in the chemical forum on this board. It is in a sticky by trevdog about powder conversions. Does anyone use his methods?
I guess I had read that before. It did seem vaguely familiar.

In my judgement, some of the stickies on this board could be ... er, improved. But I'm not a mod; not my job.

I guess you'd have to ask TrevDog if he puts the oil in a muffin pan or not, but I can confirm that most of the rest of us do not.

I've never sterilized mine, but I have heard of people doing the muffin pan thing. It shouldn't hurt the oil at 275 degrees F. I got mine from a place online a lot of bros use, however it is not filtered.

Good Luck,
Trav

Back