Steroids over 40

Here is where the issue gets muddled - nobody ever thinks they are abusing but rather they are "using" responsibly. No one ever admits to abusing because they always rationalize their own actions as "use."

I've seen that consistently for 20 years now. Everyone sings the same tune.

While I am not trying to single you out, when was the last time you had a full physical and full blood profile drawn? Are you actively working with a physician on your cycles or are you hiding that from your MD? If you are not working with an MD, why not?

Full physical before and after my cycle. Blood drawn during my cycle and during PCT with another one scheduled in 30 days. I hide NOTHING from my Dr. who is also a friend.

I don't feel like you are singling me out so no worries but I must point out that I am an expert in addiction through education and work experience. My cycle was ONLY what I posted in my thread and nothing more. Not everyone sings the same tune. :cool:

For the most part I agree with about 98% of what you say on this forum and have a great deal of respect for you and your input; however, that 2% where I disagree with you tends to be when you generalize and categorize people instead of looking at them as individuals and individual circumstances. Not saying you are doing this on purpose, please don't misunderstand me on this point. I'm just a firm believer in looking at situations on a case by case basis because one size does not fit all.

In the final analysis, much respect to you.

I question what a GP knows about running test cycles. They seem to be clueless and unhelpful.

Most health plans allow you to pick a specific provider. I highly recommend shopping around within your plan. If you don't find someone who is knowledgeable, find someone who is willing to listen and learn.

40 year old guys running cycles is not smart - period.

If you are in the 40+ crowd, like me, and you are cycling YOU ARE RISKING A LOT FOR VERY LITTLE.

Stop and think about what you are doing and why you are doing it.

What do you stand to gain?

What do you stand to lose?

I write these words having lost a good friend of 25 year to AAS use/abuse last fall at the age of 48.

Again, guys in their 40s have not business running cycles.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this is not true at all. Whether someone is in their 40's or their 20's, the same health markers need to be monitored and the same risk factors are present.

I am sorry about your buddy, but if he truly died as an indirect effect of AAS use, it was due to irresponsibility. Almost anyone who dies of indirect causes involving AAS is taken out by heart attack or stroke. Very few people die of liver failure, as one would have to be displaying pure idiocy for that to happen.

Basically, assuming the BB'r does not make some really assanine decisions, the only way steroids are likely to actually kill someone is by adversely affecting cardiovascular health, which is why protecting this system is so very important for EVERY steroid user. Just because someone is in their 20's or 30's, that does not make them "safe" from the deleterious affects thst AAS have on the cardiovascular system, as the damage done in younger years can easily turn consequential in later years.

With AAS, we primarily need to concern ourselves with the following bodily systems/organs.

1.) Cardiovascular system, which includes blood pressure, lipids, hematocrit. If we keep these health markes in a normal range on a regular basis, we can use steroids into old age without any noteworthy increase in heart attack or stroke risk.

2.) Liver: Don't be a dumbass and this is not an issue.

3.) Same as #2.

4.) Prostate: This area of male health needs to be monitored and if we see it starting to go south, we need to make adjustments to the "type" of steroids we use (and possibly dose). Through making these adjustments, we can completely eliminate steroid-induced prostate health risk.

There are a few others, but I have to run. By far, poor cardiovascular health is the #1 most detrimental health risk associated with AAS use. As long as we control this area of our health, we are very unlikely to die prematurely from any steroid related health problems. 99% of people who die prematurely from AAS die from steroid-induced heart attack or stroke. Fortunately, this area of our health is easy to monitor and almost as easy to maintain. Through intelligent & responsible planning, a BB'r can easily use AAS well into his 40's without fear of steroid-induced heart attack or stroke. No, we will not be able to use indiscriminately as we did in our younger days, but there are plenty of AAS out there which can be used in plenty high enough dosages without significantly affecting cardiovascular health.

The statment that reads "no one should be using steroids in their 40's" is ignorance based, as it nelgects to evaluate the reasons why this statment was made in the first place. Assuming the BB'r has the requisite knowledge to responsibly maintain all relevant health markers, a BB'r can easily use steroids well into his 40's without fear.

Last edited:
Agreed^^^^

I'm in my mid forties and I am blasting a gram per week plus. I get FREQUENT labs and ALWAYS take support sups. I see a doc twice yearly as well. He knows my use and my situation.

MANY people die of heart attacks and strokes. And the vast majority are not using AAS. I think responsible cycling is fine for older guys.

Agreed^^^^

I'm in my mid forties and I am blasting a gram per week plus. I get FREQUENT labs and ALWAYS take support sups. I see a doc twice yearly as well. He knows my use and my situation.

MANY people die of heart attacks and strokes. And the vast majority are not using AAS. I think responsible cycling is fine for older guys.

Absolutely.

I just hit 40 this year and I've been on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for almost two years now. I agree, there's ALOT of negative risks I've been going through since I've been on trt. Took me a long time to get my blood pressure and chloresterol in check. When I started testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), my chloresterol went up to 270-290 and could get it down. I started Lipitor and now it steady at 150-160. Then my hemocrit levels went to a high 57% and my endo told me if I don't get it down below 50%. He'd either lower my test dose or take me off completely. Now it's below 50%. I've done two 500mg/week test cycles since being on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and I monitor everything 110%.

So yes, us 40 year old timers have to be cautious and aware with the risks. I'm 100X smarter now with my body then I was in my late 20's and taking all kinds of crap with no post cycle therapy (pct). I'm luckly my liver is still good. I didn't know I hit andropause so early, so being on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) was a life change for me.

Which part of what I wrote is not true?

My friend died of a stroke so yes it was a cardiovascular episode.

I never stated that there were not risk factors for 20 years olds using AAS.

I stated that for a 40 year old the stakes are higher and i stand by that assertion and I have plenty of quantitative and qualitative support for it.

Your statements are all based on the assumption that folks are taking the appropriate precautions when using AAS.

My experience of 27 years of in this area has given me a sufficiently large data set from which to infer that most folks who use ASS do not take the appropriate precautions.

Most guys don't work with competent medical professionals, get regular blood work, physicals or checks ups.

While it is an opinion of mine that 40+ year olds should not use ASS, it is not one based on ignorance.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this is not true at all. Whether someone is in their 40's or their 20's, the same health markers need to be monitored and the same risk factors are present.

I am sorry about your buddy, but if he truly died as an indirect effect of AAS use, it was due to irresponsibility. Almost anyone who dies of indirect causes involving AAS is taken out by heart attack or stroke. Very few people die of liver failure, as one would have to be displaying pure idiocy for that to happen.

Basically, the only way steroids can really kill someone is by adversely affecting cardiovascular health, which is why protecting this system is so very important for EVERY steroid user. Just because someone is in their 20's or 30's, that does not make them "safe" from the deleterious affects of AAS on the cardiovascular system, as the damage done in younger years can easily turn consequential in klater years.

With AAS, we need to primarily concern ourselves with the following bodily systems/organs.

1.) Cradiovascular system, which includes blood pressure, lipids, hematocrit. If we keep these health markes in a normal range on a regular basis, we can use steroids into old age without any noteworthy increase in heart attack or stroke risk.

2.) Liver: Don't be a dumbass and this is not an issue.

3.) Same as #2.

4.) Prostate: This area of male health needs to be monitored and if we see it stratring to go south, we need to make adjustments to the "type" of steroids we use. Through making these adjustments, we can completely eliminate steroid-induced risk in terms of prostate health.

There are a few others, but I have to run. By far, poor cardiovascular health is the #1 most detrimental health risk associated with AAS use. As long as we control this area of our health, we are very unlikely to die prematurely from any steroid related health problems. 99% of people who die prematurely from AAS die from steroid-induced heart attack or stroke. Fortunately, this area of our health is easy to monitor and almost as easy to maintain. Through intelligent & responsible planning, a BB'r can easily use AAS well into his 40's without fear of steroid-induced heart attack or stroke. No, we will not be able to use indiscriminately as we did in our younger days, but there are plenty of AAS out there which can be used in plenty high enough dosages without significantly affecting cardiovascular health.

The statment that reads "no one should be using steroids in their 40's" is ignorance based, as it nelgects to evaluate the reasons why this statment was made in the first place. Assuming the BB'r has the requisite knowledge to responsibly maintain all relevant health markers, a BB'r can easily use steroids well into his 40's without fear.

I just hit 40 this year and I've been on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for almost two years now. I agree, there's ALOT of negative risks I've been going through since I've been on trt. Took me a long time to get my blood pressure and chloresterol in check. When I started testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), my chloresterol went up to 270-290 and could get it down. I started Lipitor and now it steady at 150-160. Then my hemocrit levels went to a high 57% and my endo told me if I don't get it down below 50%. He'd either lower my test dose or take me off completely. Now it's below 50%. I've done two 500mg/week test cycles since being on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) and I monitor everything 110%.

So yes, us 40 year old timers have to be cautious and aware with the risks. I'm 100X smarter now with my body then I was in my late 20's and taking all kinds of crap with no post cycle therapy (pct). I'm luckly my liver is still good. I didn't know I hit andropause so early, so being on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) was a life change for me.

Lipid issues may be genetic. I can lower my LDL into the 60's with a STRICT diet and OTC sups. Most guys have a tough time following a strict diet though. It gets a bit tedious after a whlie.

I give blood twice yearly to lower Hematocrit but higher Hematocrit is common where I live (high altitude).

Now you've got me worried. I'm almost 42... was all psyched up and ready to try my first test cycle and now I'm doubting if I should go ahead with it.... :( I thought test cycles were better when you were older and your test level's weren't like they were when you were in your 20's and 30's...

40 year old guys running cycles is not smart - period.

If you are in the 40+ crowd, like me, and you are cycling YOU ARE RISKING A LOT FOR VERY LITTLE.

Stop and think about what you are doing and why you are doing it.

What do you stand to gain?

What do you stand to lose?

I write these words having lost a good friend of 25 year to AAS use/abuse last fall at the age of 48.

Again, guys in their 40s have not business running cycles.

your dont look natural in that pic of you though :freak:

Now you've got me worried. I'm almost 42... was all psyched up and ready to try my first test cycle and now I'm doubting if I should go ahead with it.... :( I thought test cycles were better when you were older and your test level's weren't like they were when you were in your 20's and 30's...

Oh heck no. You definitely want have blood work done AND see a endo or good doc. Unfortunately, there's not too many knowledgable ones out there. I learned more from this site than my endo. You definitetly want to monitor your body after starting test by having bloodwork done frequently.

Lipid issues may be genetic. I can lower my LDL into the 60's with a STRICT diet and OTC sups. Most guys have a tough time following a strict diet though. It gets a bit tedious after a whlie.

I give blood twice yearly to lower Hematocrit but higher Hematocrit is common where I live (high altitude).

My diet is very good. It's been over a year since I ate at some fast food chain and never touch junk food at home. But I do splurge when eating at a upscale place but it's healthy. I donate blood every two months to keep my levels around 46%. I'm sure I can get it lower if I can get my sleep pattern in order.

your dont look natural in that pic of you though :freak:

I'm not natural and never said I was.

I did my share of cycles in my early 20s.

I haven't run a cycle in 17 years.

That pic was on my last birthday.

You don't need to run a cycle to look like I do.

Training + Diet. That is all you need.

As was mentioned, make sure you work with a competent MD to draw your baseline blood values including hormone panel, CBC, and lipids at the very minimum.

If you are taking other meds, as it seems a lot of guys on here do, make sure you get input on that from and MD as well.

My diet is very good. It's been over a year since I ate at some fast food chain and never touch junk food at home. But I do splurge when eating at a upscale place but it's healthy. I donate blood every two months to keep my levels around 46%. I'm sure I can get it lower if I can get my sleep pattern in order.

I may be genetic in your case but strict dieting means different things to different people. What does your diet honestly look like?

ANY bad fats in it? How is your fiber intake?

I will have to side with Arnold, andheavyiron. if it is a first cycle make sure you do blood work prior and during your cycle, which should not be more than test e.

Please also be prepared to take relevant steps immediately against any returning blood work that requires attention.

I am 42, and I recognize risks, manage them effectively when they present themselves, just like the damn stock market which I have been courting for the last 15 years!

Back