Stopping sever steroid related acne/ steroids that do not cause acne

Ok so I thought I'd follow up my posts on here with more in depth information to help MS and others following this thread - sorry in advance if it's too long :)

I found an excellent study that showed how everything (test, GH, Insulin, etc) interacts to develop acne vulgaris. I will provide a link to the study below, but I'm mainly going to highlight the influence of GH and Insulin.

Hormone therapy in acne Lakshmi C - Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol

GH: growth hormone acts both directly and indirectly through IGF-1 stimulation - this leads to increased sebum production resulting in acne. This was studied extensively in those suffering from acromegaly.
IGF-1: this stimulates synthesis of androgens from the adrenal gland and increases free androgens. This means it stimulates sebum production and androgen-induced sebaceous lipogenesis.

The research shows that GH and IGF-1 work together to worsen acne, which is why I don't recommend using them on cycle if acne is a serious concern.

The other research I wanted to point out shows exactly why Accutane (Isotretinoin) is awesome when it comes to fighting acne on cycle.
The table below shows how your hormones interact when it comes to creating different medical conditions relating to acne:

View attachment 556707

The final point on that table shows acne is aggravated by AAS cycles mainly due to an increase in TLR2 gene expression, which promotes the release of cytokines & affects the immune response.

The study below shows that Accutane completely NORMALIZES the immune response by decreasing inflammatory cytokine production and down regulating TLR2 expression within a week of starting treatment.
The study also showed that this effect was maintained 6 months after treatment was ceased, which could theoretically mean less acne on future cycles.

Systemic isotretinoin therapy normalizes exaggerated TLR-2-mediated innate immune responses in acne patients

I just wanted to show the evidence that indicates Accutane as the best treatment in directly fighting the causes of acne when cycling. Antibiotic and other topical treatments don't address the underlying cause, which is why acne will still be an issue on future cycles.

Last edited:
Hey I know this is a bit of an old post but I am in a similar acne situation to Mad-scientist.
I have the worst acne you could ever think of, I even have terrible scars because of it and I have been bleeding terribly everyday for the last 4months. This is all from my last reckless cycle.
I want to get to my point. My doctor put me on oral clindamycin for over 2months and all it does is prevent any infections from happening such as a staphylococcus infection of my chest wall and etc. Clindamycin does NOT heal your acne... I had open wounds and any bacteria could have went in and caused me seriois blood infections. My WBC were actually elevated to 11.9 and this is when my derm said my body is fighting an infection. But clinda cured it with 300mg every 6hours 4x a day.
However every doctor or more specifically dermatologists, is a stubborn idiot. They honestly don't care if you actually heal.
I told him before my acne was actually bad to put me on accutane because I was on cycle and he denied because he said my liver enzymes we're slightly elevated from the cycle I discontinued. He nearly put me in my death bed, I was on the point of being sent to the hospital because of that infection. I had so many new breakouts everyday, so deep, it just wouldn't stop.
What I did is that I ordered some isotretinoin accutane from ************ and started at 20mg for the first week. Dried ass chapped lips like I've never seen. I didn't give a sh#t. I was dying of pain my body was covered in holes. Ilso I bumped my dose to 40mg because i wanted the dry effect to take effect quicker. 1month later I was forming a lot of scabs and scars which is a result of accutane because it makes wound healing a b$tch. Also I was told that would happen from my derm. I didn't care. 2 months in I was like holy... it looks a lot worse, it is clouding my judgement too much, making me depressed and is just making my wound healing so much worse. I wanted to stop it, but thx god I didn't! !! I was still breaking out bad 2months in, now im about to finish my 3rd month, and dam! I haven't broken out in 3weeks. Every scab is patching up, I used a bit of bactroban ointment with ouchless pads to make my wounds more 'hydrated' so they can heal quicker.
Also when my acne was at its worse and my derm declined me for accutane, he told me it would take me 2 years to get my skin back to normal. I went back to this sun of a gun, he sees and says OH MY GOD, how did that happen. I told him I bought accutane off the Internet because he denied giving me it. And actually apologized for not actually thinking and considering back than.
My acne looks 80% better right now.
Skin wise 1 laser treatment will make every scar fade away. So im only 87days in... and magic... I went from staying home everyday and wearing black shirts cause i was so bloody to normal again.
So honestly, yes accutane is a b$tch for your lips, hair, skin, also eyes in the first month ( dried ass eyes), and depression, but you can easily suck it up.
Don't let anyone make you think it is a death pill. Think of it as the only cure to acne on the juice. It's the only thing that will make your oil glands shrink down in size and produce less oil.
Do a 6months run on it, and you won't regret it when you're acne free. You can get your blood tests at privatemdlabs every month. Than you could just stay at a constant dose of 20mg eod or 10mg ed all year long. Or whatever dose suits you. I am using livercare pills everyday and my liver is very healthy. The only thing I really hate is that I will be on accutane during all my summer and it will be a b$tch being in the sun. But I will suck it up because I will be acne free

Hey I know this is a bit of an old post but I am in a similar acne situation to Mad-scientist.
I have the worst acne you could ever think of, I even have terrible scars because of it and I have been bleeding terribly everyday for the last 4months. This is all from my last reckless cycle.
I want to get to my point. My doctor put me on oral clindamycin for over 2months and all it does is prevent any infections from happening such as a staphylococcus infection of my chest wall and etc. Clindamycin does NOT heal your acne... I had open wounds and any bacteria could have went in and caused me seriois blood infections. My WBC were actually elevated to 11.9 and this is when my derm said my body is fighting an infection. But clinda cured it with 300mg every 6hours 4x a day.
However every doctor or more specifically dermatologists, is a stubborn idiot. They honestly don't care if you actually heal.
I told him before my acne was actually bad to put me on accutane because I was on cycle and he denied because he said my liver enzymes we're slightly elevated from the cycle I discontinued. He nearly put me in my death bed, I was on the point of being sent to the hospital because of that infection. I had so many new breakouts everyday, so deep, it just wouldn't stop.
What I did is that I ordered some isotretinoin accutane from ************ and started at 20mg for the first week. Dried ass chapped lips like I've never seen. I didn't give a sh#t. I was dying of pain my body was covered in holes. Ilso I bumped my dose to 40mg because i wanted the dry effect to take effect quicker. 1month later I was forming a lot of scabs and scars which is a result of accutane because it makes wound healing a b$tch. Also I was told that would happen from my derm. I didn't care. 2 months in I was like holy... it looks a lot worse, it is clouding my judgement too much, making me depressed and is just making my wound healing so much worse. I wanted to stop it, but thx god I didn't! !! I was still breaking out bad 2months in, now im about to finish my 3rd month, and dam! I haven't broken out in 3weeks. Every scab is patching up, I used a bit of bactroban ointment with ouchless pads to make my wounds more 'hydrated' so they can heal quicker.
Also when my acne was at its worse and my derm declined me for accutane, he told me it would take me 2 years to get my skin back to normal. I went back to this sun of a gun, he sees and says OH MY GOD, how did that happen. I told him I bought accutane off the Internet because he denied giving me it. And actually apologized for not actually thinking and considering back than.
My acne looks 80% better right now.
Skin wise 1 laser treatment will make every scar fade away. So im only 87days in... and magic... I went from staying home everyday and wearing black shirts cause i was so bloody to normal again.
So honestly, yes accutane is a b$tch for your lips, hair, skin, also eyes in the first month ( dried ass eyes), and depression, but you can easily suck it up.
Don't let anyone make you think it is a death pill. Think of it as the only cure to acne on the juice. It's the only thing that will make your oil glands shrink down in size and produce less oil.
Do a 6months run on it, and you won't regret it when you're acne free. You can get your blood tests at privatemdlabs every month. Than you could just stay at a constant dose of 20mg eod or 10mg ed all year long. Or whatever dose suits you. I am using livercare pills everyday and my liver is very healthy. The only thing I really hate is that I will be on accutane during all my summer and it will be a b$tch being in the sun. But I will suck it up because I will be acne free

I am seriously looking at Accutane to clear my skin and run it during a Test Prop/Mast Prop cycle that leads up to my honeymoon in September. You had me all the way til the sun part. Are you not allowed to be in the sun on Accutane? If not, my boat and honeymoon in Barbados are screwed! Also, where do you go for the laser treatment? Would love to get all these dark spots/scars cleared up! Thanks!

Back