Syringe filter membrane - which do you prefer?

Rastas

As the subject suggests, which is your preferred type of filter membrane? I've only ever used Millipore brand 33mm diameter PVDF membrane filters (0.45), and they filter very slow. I was planning on trying PES or nylon. Which do you believe flows faster?

I've heard nylon is the best but have no first hand experience just reports from what I've read.

I just wish i could get 500ml out of a 500ml filter. I have used plenty of Millipore 500ml pvdf .2 and Whatman nylon zapcap .2 and Nalgene PES MF75 .2 bottle top with 45mm glass media bottles but always have got 200-250ml. I have read about the red Nalgene nylons but can't find them without buying 12 at a time. I don't want to buy 12 and use 1 and not like it.

I just wish i could get 500ml out of a 500ml filter. I have used plenty of Millipore 500ml pvdf .2 and Whatman nylon zapcap .2 and Nalgene PES MF75 .2 bottle top with 45mm glass media bottles but always have got 200-250ml. I have read about the red Nalgene nylons but can't find them without buying 12 at a time. I don't want to buy 12 and use 1 and not like it.

I only make small batches for personal use so at most I filter 100ml at a time and go halvies with my mate. I'm just looking for a better flowing filter. I've heard the PES have a better flow rate, but surely this most have some impact on the sterility of the final product? I don't want to filter twice, my forearms are big enough already. Essentially, I'm happy to just fill up a couple of 50ml syringes and filter away into sterile vials. I'd just like a more efficient process. I've always and only ever used Millipore PVDF .45. Thoughts, smadizm? I can only ever seem to get MAXIMUM 40ml through one filter before I'm sweating like a mother fucker and it's time to throw a fresh one on there.

Rastas, just from experience I would not use a PES membrane filter just because its not a solvent compatible membrane. This was in my rookie days when I tried these. I'm guessing your using a syringe filter. Man I do not miss them days. I would invest in a bottle top set up with glass media bottle. Your looking at about $30. Well worth it to me. I would also use .2 and not .45 because it does not remove the bacteria needed for injecting that a .2 does. Alot if people do this I've stated before just not safe in my opinion. If your only looking for 100ml you can do this in about 10 mins with a Millipore pvdf bottle top and a hand pump.

Rastas, just from experience I would not use a PES membrane filter just because its not a solvent compatible membrane. This was in my rookie days when I tried these. I'm guessing your using a syringe filter. Man I do not miss them days. I would invest in a bottle top set up with glass media bottle. Your looking at about $30. Well worth it to me. I would also use .2 and not .45 because it does not remove the bacteria needed for injecting that a .2 does. Alot if people do this I've stated before just not safe in my opinion. If your only looking for 100ml you can do this in about 10 mins with a Millipore pvdf bottle top and a hand pump.

I've PM'd you, big man, I hope you don't mind.

PVDF seem to take the most abuse when using a higher % of solvent. I've herd of nylons melting. Ill always use PVDF. Their slower but if your using a bottle top filter what's the rush. Go watch tv and check the pressure every now and then.

PVDF seem to take the most abuse when using a higher % of solvent. I've herd of nylons melting. Ill always use PVDF. Their slower but if your using a bottle top filter what's the rush. Go watch tv and check the pressure every now and then.

This is what I was lead to believe but as I mentioned I too have only used PVDF. smadizm gave me some info via PM on what was required to do the bottle top filtering. Looking forward to trying it now. Not running a cycle until maybe April so that's when I'll be doing it.

How much do you manage to filter through a 500ml membrane? smadizm mentioned he can only get around 250ml through.

Grab a bottle top filter and filter 2000ml in 4 mins.

According to other people's experiences here, that amount would require around eight bottle top filters. Can you please elaborate, Disturb? I'd love to hear about your filtering experience.

How much do you manage to filter through a 500ml membrane? smadizm mentioned he can only get around 250ml through.

not sure man. i only make small batches of 100ml or less. but i will be brewing some larger batches in future ill be sure to make a thread with the details

Hey bro sorry I was pretty stoned last night so didnt really explain that properly. We use Whatman Polycap filters now .22 um. They are good for 2000ml no problem. Any other filtering procedure with .22 is a nightmare with that kind of volume.

Hey bro sorry I was pretty stoned last night so didnt really explain that properly. We use Whatman Polycap filters now .22 um. They are good for 2000ml no problem. Any other filtering procedure with .22 is a nightmare with that kind of volume.

Care to take a minute to explain how to use these polycaps? I see you have an inlet and outlet but never used them and I would like to try them out.

That's maybe a case or something. The ones I looked at was $ for 1.

Sorry didnt even think when I posted a price on a thread. Ill just say it was much cheaper

Last edited:
You need a pump for vac. You run a tube from your brewed batch that has not been filtered. You have a clean fresh receiving beaker preferably 500ml + larger then your batch will be so if you filtering 1500ml, use a 2000ml beaker to receive. have the polycap .22 inline so the outlet is dumping directly into your fresh clean beaker. do this when the batch is cooled off and not when its hot because you can miss some residue when its hot off the hot plate. Here are links my friends

medical-and-lab-supplies.com/filtration/pumps-filtration-accessories/dolphin-75-high-volume-peristaltic-pump-115v-or-230v-qty-1.html
medical-and-lab-supplies.com/filtration/pumps-filtration-accessories/whatman-polycap-filter-36-as-0-45um-pore-size-qty-1.html

^^That's what I was thinking. Thanks. Don't think ill be filtering that much anytime soon. I still find it interesting.

Very handy when your filtering through .22 to ensure all bacteria is removed. Even with solution hot you will still break your hands so to speak using a syringe filter

Back