Syringe filter basics

Cheappinz

Official Sponsor
What's the difference between a syringe filter and a vacuum filter? The answer is the work you have to do. The new vacuum filters allow you to put an unfiltered liquid in a top cup, there's a standard 0.45 filter spun on to the base of the cup, and a receiving cup on the bottom. As expected, there is a small spikot hole in the receiving cup which is hooked up to a vacuum. Once the suction is on, it forces the unfiltered liquid to pass through the 0.45 membrane, filtering, and then leaving you with a filtered product in the bottom recepticle cup. No sore thumbs. Its a great idea.

Secondly: What do the numbers on a filter mean? It describes the amount of "junk" allowed to pass through the membrane..or "how specific" the filtering will be. There is 0.22, 0.45,1.0, & 1.5. The lower the number, the harder it will be to push, the longer it will take, and the more sore your thumbs will be. Anything more than a 0.45 will give you a cloudy product. meaning 1.0 & 1.5 should only be used to get out visible pepper like sediment in otherwise perfect liquid. 0.45 is the average run of the mill, most popular, good for everything size.
Your filter may say PES--that means its a general all purpose filter. It may say glass or nylon prefilter or just glass, nylon, PES 0.45. Don't worry about this too much...Just remember, a little piece of plastic is used to a gentle touch and patience, not a 200 pound gorilla smashing down on it. Obviously, "blow outs" happen with rough use. Also when prefiltering is neglected. Prefilter & be gentle and you should be successful with all your filtering needs.

cheappinz, I have used a vacuum pump recently and the nalgene plastic bottles started cracking halfway through my filtering. I was using 15 pounds. Is this way too much? I tried finding glass versions of the same thing to avoid cracking but I'm coming up short on that.

Hope I have that same issue with those and milpore. Try the whatman zapcaps, but with the others it's the pressure. The solution cools fast in the filter, you need to keep it warm.

Garcia yes you can use those but the non sterile are just as good, they just don't cone in a sterile package(sealed) just be sure the filtered product is help in a sterile bottle.

Fuck the dumb shit!!!! This is the way to go if you want SUPER clean smooth product!!!

I got tired of those cheesy ass plastic filtering systems!!! They suck!!!! Nylon bottletops with the red neck turn my shit pink, millipore with the blue turned it light blue!!! Forget that!!!

This system:

Sigma-Aldrich® vacuum filtration assembly for 47 mm filters with glass support, NS 40/35 joints, 1 L flask | Sigma-Aldrich

is reusable, autoclavable and easily sterilized without an autoclave!!!
Select the PTFE filters!!!

That is TEFLON baby!!! There are things that can degrade gold and metal that can't even etch teflon!!!!
Put 20-25 mm/hg vacuum on this system and you will not budge it and filter 1000 ml in 2 min with no cloud and no unecessarily high filter temps!!!

Happy brewing!!!

Damn I wish I had found this before I dropped so much coin on the stainless steel 3 funnel system!
Does this use the glass prefilters? Or just the Teflon? Screw it I want one!

That JS11 fucker kicking our asses again...LOL

I have a HB boner looking at that beauty.......(is that homo)?

Last edited:
Ha ha ha!!!

What's really going to bake you guy's noodle later on is when I reveal the TOP SECRET carrier that makes your shit smooth as silk with NO allergy problems and is used by TOP pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer and other top pharma companies.

Have to have a sophisticated system like above to get it to pass safely though!!!!

Back