Taking orals with fatty foods....myth vs fact

jozifp103

Trying to get an answer here. Not that this is really a pressing issue, but when I get curious about something....I must learn the truth.

So many say not to take orals with fatty foods because hormones are fat soluble and it will hinder the absorption rate or at least slow it. Now.....how could this be? Wouldn't the hormone need to be dissolved in order to enter the blood stream and pass through membranes?

Back in my hippie days (forgive the recreational drug reference) we used to make cannabis butter, cannabis tea, brownies, etc....and every time we did this we would need a fat source to dissolve the active ingredient (THC) because it is fat soluble. Eating the raw pot would not induce a high because the THC would not be properly dissolved and digested. Using a fatty carrier like butter, oil, etc made it digestable.

Would this same theory not apply with oral hormones as well?

I'm with you, seems like eating with fatty food would help not hinder.

The other aspect of your edible THC is you need to heat it to 350F to convert the THC to a form you can digest. That's why eating it raw doesn't do anything.

Trying to get an answer here. Not that this is really a pressing issue, but when I get curious about something....I must learn the truth.

So many say not to take orals with fatty foods because hormones are fat soluble and it will hinder the absorption rate or at least slow it. Now.....how could this be? Wouldn't the hormone need to be dissolved in order to enter the blood stream and pass through membranes?

Back in my hippie days (forgive the recreational drug reference) we used to make cannabis butter, cannabis tea, brownies, etc....and every time we did this we would need a fat source to dissolve the active ingredient (THC) because it is fat soluble. Eating the raw pot would not induce a high because the THC would not be properly dissolved and digested. Using a fatty carrier like butter, oil, etc made it digestable.

so your question is basically if orals are fat soluble? wait, i forgot the question. again. ;)

so your question is basically if orals are fat soluble? wait, i forgot the question. again. ;)

LOL, no....I know they're fat soluble. But I've heard many people say that because orals are fat soluble, taking them with fatty foods can slow or hinder absorption because the hormone is now trapped in the fat....idk just doesn't sound right.

LOL, no....I know they're fat soluble. But I've heard many people say that because orals are fat soluble, taking them with fatty foods can slow or hinder absorption because the hormone is now trapped in the fat....idk just doesn't sound right.

interesting approach. following :)

iv made tea with cannabis and no fats added and it works well. BUT heat converts THC-A into THC and thats more active in the mind effects aspect. it could be more that than the fats, BUT it could be both.
for orals i dont pay much mind, i just take with food (or it kills my hunger more. but i avoid orals generally anyway now .

The other aspect of your edible THC is you need to heat it to 350F to convert the THC to a form you can digest. That's why eating it raw doesn't do anything.
not true at ALL. a "buzz" has nothing to do with absorption, its the complex cannabanoids and how they function. in some cases you get more out of it by not heating IMO.
I use it medically for many years now and have just as much research here as I do with aas.

not true at ALL. a "buzz" has nothing to do with absorption, its the complex cannabanoids and how they function. in some cases you get more out of it by not heating IMO.
I use it medically for many years now and have just as much research here as I do with aas.

I think you're right JP. Heating it doesn't make a difference with absorption, hence why tincture works so well (alcohol based drops).

But now we're getting side tracked lol.

JP, I'm very interested and would love to do my own research but job testing prevents. Oh well....

Back