The Bulking Primer - Lean Mass Outline & Sample Diet

Question

"3. Protein- Just like when you are cutting, you need plenty of protein. For bulking, a good rule of thumb is 2-3g of protein per pound of lean bodyweight."

Hi, I just found this site and was reading some posts. Thank you so much for this type of in-depth and well written post. I would like to ask one thing, did you mean 2-3g of protein per pound of bodyweight or per Kilogram of bodyweight? I ask because 2-3g per pound seems pretty high. Now, perhaps the idea is to create a system that is supersaturated at all times with protein available for synthesis? But I would imagine a 200lb individual consuming up to 600g (Approx 2400 Calories) of protein a day is potentially excessive?

I do not mean to challenge the assertation, if this is in fact what you use, and it works for you. Certainly, every individual is different. I was just curious if you in fact meant 2-3g per pound.

Thank You

You have shared nice information with us. Your information will be helpful to the people who are on diet or moving to the diet. The calorie calculation that is described in your post is too interesting through which I came to understand that how much calories should be taken.

Huh?

QUESTION;

When you eat a PRO/Fat meal, which is no (or ver little) carbs, this is NOT going to create an insulin spike. So, would you even be benefiting? I mean, would the protein even get used without the insulin being present to deliver nutrients?

Generally, it is not optimal to take in Carbs and Fat at the same time. The Carbs spike insulin, which could exacerbate fat storage.

This article was written in 2005..jeez update this information, some of this information has been debunked over the years.

"3. Protein- Just like when you are cutting, you need plenty of protein. For bulking, a good rule of thumb is 2-3g of protein per pound of lean bodyweight."

Hi, I just found this site and was reading some posts. Thank you so much for this type of in-depth and well written post. I would like to ask one thing, did you mean 2-3g of protein per pound of bodyweight or per Kilogram of bodyweight? I ask because 2-3g per pound seems pretty high. Now, perhaps the idea is to create a system that is supersaturated at all times with protein available for synthesis? But I would imagine a 200lb individual consuming up to 600g (Approx 2400 Calories) of protein a day is potentially excessive?

I do not mean to challenge the assertation, if this is in fact what you use, and it works for you. Certainly, every individual is different. I was just curious if you in fact meant 2-3g per pound.

Thank You

I thiiink..it is generally considered LEAN body weight x 2-3. not total weight...

i read this through so many times my head is aching..great stuff.

Question which I think I must have missed the answer to:

if I am fairly inactive (Ok I run around on the lawn with my kids for 20 minutes but hey are 4 and 3 yrs old) My only REAL exertion is when I do HIT jumping rope 15-20 minutes on empty stomach 4x/week while sipping a BCAA drink first thing in morning.

The rest is my heavy lifting in the gym to build muscle. What activity level am I considered please?

SECOND:
is simple CLIF Builders Bar 20grams protein with about 22 sugars complete crap to eat PWO?

Anyone?

Thanks,

D

Last edited:
I thiiink..it is generally considered LEAN body weight x 2-3. not total weight...

i read this through so many times my head is aching..great stuff.

Question which I think I must have missed the answer to:

if I am fairly inactive (Ok I run around on the lawn with my kids for 20 minutes but hey are 4 and 3 yrs old) My only REAL exertion is when I do HIT jumping rope 15-20 minutes on empty stomach 4x/week while sipping a BCAA drink first thing in morning.

The rest is my heavy lifting in the gym to build muscle. What activity level am I considered please?

SECOND:
is simple CLIF Builders Bar 20grams protein with about 22 sugars complete crap to eat PWO?

Anyone?

Thanks,

D

Try a 1.3-1.4 activity factor but any activity factor is a guess. It's a starting point. Pick whichever activity factor you want and run at that caloric intake for 2wks. Adjust it up or down based in goals.

The sugar isn't bad unless it takes you over your needs. If you can fit it into your macros than do what you enjoy and can stay consistent with. If you can fit it into your macros, cut it.

Thanks for the sharing. It is very informative and helpful. I am doing weight training to get lean muscle 4 times a week. Now I am equipped with more knowledge to get closer to my goal. :basket:

Really informative. Good to add in that the reasoning for fruit being best in the morning or pre workout is that it sits in your stomach on top of your other food that's digesting and you won't get the most out of it (that natural energy). I'd like to hear your thoughts on proper food combining though as this is something I've been reading about but conflicts with a lot of the bodybuilding diet information. I'm neither pro nor against, a little on the fence about it as I've always mixed my carbs with my protein as a hard gainer!

Back