The evolution of steroids in the 90s - Need help

mtommy

Hey guys,

I'm a writer looking to get a low down on the evolution of anabolic steroids, masking agents and narcotics in professional sports. As simply put in layman terms as humanly possible. Specifically from the late 1980s-00s. If anyone can give me a brief timeline of what was hot in the 80s onward, that would be a huge help!

I've dug up several articles and have learned quite a bit, but I also get lost in some of the scientific minutia of it all.

So, for anyone that's a brain when it comes to sports doping and the advancement of steroids. Feel free to share and here are some questions:

1) What were the new masking agents and steroids that became big in the early-mid 90s? And why.
2) Were steroids typically imported (trafficked) from foreign countries like Thailand/Australia into the US or made domestically in the 90s? If so, was it by using raw materials smuggled in via Mexico?
3) Did athletes/sports teams outsource their dealings with secret steroid dealers or did team physicians usually do the doping ? Both?
4) Rank masking agents from best to worst? (Again, ones you would see from the 80s-2000s.) For ex. "X was shit because it was very basic and easy to detect by WADA because.... while Y was a bit more advanced and trickier to catch..."
5) What injectable narcotic was common among athletes who wanted to stay in games -- even with broken bones? Pentazocine?

I apologize in advance if any of these questions don't make remote sense or are convoluted, but I'm still early into the research and know next to nothing about this world. Many thanks!

Last edited:
Do you have Dan Duchaine's book (underground steroid handbook)? Probably not easy to find but it would be a good starting point.

Asking an awful lot for post numero uno. But I'm sure someone who alot of time on their hands may chime in :)

I found Duchaine's book and it's pretty informative. Very detailed. The toughest thing is knowing the gradual innovation of steroids through the ages. For instance, in music: we went from records... to a-tracks... to cassettes... to cds... to mp3s... to now songs being as accessible as air ala youtube.

What is that timeline for steroid innovation? If that makes any sense. I know I'm asking for a lot, but it's more so: if you know the answer to one of those questions, that would be great. No need to know them all. Thanks again!

Gosh, I have no idea about the masking agents used other than that's when a lot of the prohormones came to the scene as their metabolites weren't listed on the tests until someone would discover them.

I remember dianabol being big along with testosterone and nandrolone and even boldenone. You could actually get AAS from a doctor as they weren't controlled until the The Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004/1994. The latter included many of the prohormones invented to circumvent the original.

Read up on the Balco investigation, that will probably give you some good insight into the history with regards to professional sports.

I know DPR knows a bit about this stuff, but that's pretty much the extent of my recollection as I never competed in a tested sport and was natural at the time.

Watch the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" that will also give you a pretty good history on aas and how and why they were banned.

Last edited:
Back