The PRO'S and SLOPPY form!

Hacksquater

Trained and Educated
So I finally got a iPhone and the main difference in my life is that I am watching YouTube training vids all day long now (Geeze Ronnie is earth shaking!)! Everything and everyone! The first thing that really stands out to me is how bad the form, the top pros are using these days!

I basically have degrees in exercise physiology/science (and I know that only goes so far) and IMHO there is no benefits to throwing around the weights and using momentum; the general direction some are going these days.

After watching everyone I am thinking this new in-vogue training style (and I see it more and more in the gyms) might have come about by Ronnie C? He is a genetic freak and for a long while everyone was looking to him to figure out his secrets to such mass. His form is a little sloppy sometimes. But he could look at a weight and grow! Then I think maybe people just started to mimic him more and more, shifting the popular approach to training away from what it was in, say, the 90's...

I love Branch W, but I just can not believe his form! Many of his entire reps are in a second! It is my humble opinion that if he (especially on BACK) slowed his exercise speed way down, used way less leverage, and got way more out of the negative (and had been for years) and more out of the contraction, he would be farther along than he is now (maybe significantly farther) and he might not have had the injuries. Again, I love the man and respect him highly and his awesome work ethic, but even pros are not perfect.

I know some may vehemently disagree, but I just thought I'd get it off my mind here...

Last edited:
Watching Branch it is amazing he doesn't break. He is just brutal with the weight. Now whether you think there are benefits or not he moves seriously heavy weights at an intensity that normal freaks can't touch.

Much of the argument for "good technique" is so that you don't break like a twig. Branches joints/tendons are clearly made for this kind of abuse.

I agree and disagree, should you use good form? yes of course, but heavy weights make you grow IMO. To sacrifice a little form to progressively move heavier weight I think works.

I basically have degrees in exercise physiology/science (and I know that only goes so far)

what the fuck does this mean? LIke you said it doesn't make a shit worth of difference, but what does 'basically' mean? Do you have them or not?

And if you feel that Branch Warren hasn't made significant progress, especially in the last 5 years bring in his upper body to match his lower body, you're nuts.

I agree with Blondie, seeing a vid is just a snapshot of what these guys do. you have no idea what style of training they are using. I use great form, but I've been known to sling around some heavy as weight and sometimes the form slacks a little.

what i find the most amusing is the part about getting an Iphone and how its changed your life. lol

what the fuck does this mean? LIke you said it doesn't make a shit worth of difference, but what does 'basically' mean? Do you have them or not?

Didnt want to change the subject, but I was wondering the same exact thing, you cant basically have something, you either do or dont.

I agree and disagree, should you use good form? yes of course, but heavy weights make you grow IMO. To sacrifice a little form to progressively move heavier weight I think works.

So, to take a little weight OFF the muscles and transfer them to other muscles like the lower back during curls, or to take a little weight off the muscles and transfer that energy to the tendons and ligaments can help gain muscle in a specific area? Does not sound reasonable to me. Sure lifting heavy for 20+ years and taking a ton of AAS GH + and having good genetic potential can make one huge as hel* but it seems sound that even some of these guys could be better if they kept with a scientific approach too.

And sure, go ahead and sling a weight once in a while (and who does not do that once in a while for a little ego) but to really trash a muscle, do the opposite of what you instinctively want to do, to make the exercise harder. The instinct is to go fast in the negative (eccentric). Under heavy weight it is instinctive to go slow under the positive (concentric). To follow instinct takes resistance energy off the specified muscle. That energy gets transferred to tendons ligaments joints and other stabilizing muscles. But to get the full potential workout and gains from a specific muscle the opposite approach should be applied. SLOW down the negative! Go slow in the positive until you reach about 1/3 to 1/2 point, then EXPLODE. Hold that maximum contraction for a while! It might not make one feel as powerful reducing the weight a little to compensate for this type of approach, but IMHO this can produce the best results (when combined with various high intensity training techniques).

Last edited:
So, to take a little weight OFF the muscles and transfer them to other muscles like the lower back during curls, or to take a little weight off the muscles and transfer that energy to the tendons and ligaments can help gain muscle in a specific area? Does not sound reasonable to me. Sure lifting heavy for 20+ years and taking a ton of AAS GH + and having good genetic potential can make one huge as hel* but it seems sound that even some of these guys could be better if they kept with a scientific approach too.

I think you guys are splitting hairs. The one point you make i have always agreed with is this.

I think Pros rely on drugs more than any of us ever will. Not all of them, but most of them. If you look at alot of the former pros now, those guys look just like average guys. If you were able to build that much rich, dense muscle the right way, i just don't see how its possible to lose almost all of it. Especially with the amount of skeletal muscle increase you gain with GH and IGF-1 levels.

As far as training, i just think its preference. Arnold loved cheat curls with big weight, and we know that dude had sick peaks.

And sure, go ahead and sling a weight once in a while (and who does not do that once in a while for a little ego) but to really trash a muscle, do the opposite of what you instinctively want to do, to make the exercise harder. The instinct is to go fast in the negative (eccentric). Under heavy weight it is instinctive to go slow under the positive (concentric). To follow instinct takes resistance energy off the specified muscle. That energy gets transferred to tendons ligaments joints and other stabilizing muscles. But to get the full potential workout and gains from a specific muscle the opposite approach should be applied. SLOW down the negative! Go slow in the positive until you reach about 1/3 to 1/2 point, then EXPLODE. Hold that maximum contraction for a while! It might not make one feel as powerful reducing the weight a little to compensate for this type of approach, but IMHO this can produce the best results (when combined with various high intensity training techniques).

I stick by what I said earlier. If that works for you then great, but myself and Im sure everyone else is going to do what they want how the want whether or not you like it.

Back