Time to upgrade from syringe filtering

smadizm1

Looking for some input on upgrading from syringe filtering. Got my share of homebrewing and just tired of the syringe filtering and the caulking gun. Just ordered my hand vacuum pump thanks to the sale of RUI and Im looking at millipore stericup or nalgene nylon filter unit. From another post I read said millipore wasnt for oil based solutions. Im not sure. Im leaning towards the nalgene. Also, what kind of pressure do I need to mantain during filtering?

they are both for oil but millipore is shit, I dont use them unless I absolutely have to. they leak from the side, filter breaks and gear will be cloudy, the just suck balls.

now the nalgene on the other hand are smooth as silk, and filter reall fast, never had one leak on me. DO NOT pour in warm like you would with syringe filter, give it AMPLE time to cool before filtering.

If you want to go really nice and smooth and much faster than Nalgene and can use this one with Warm gear even hot gear so no wait time, then use this one:

Sigma-Aldrich® vacuum filtration assembly for 47 mm filters with glass support, NS 40/35 joints, 1 L flask | Sigma-Aldrich

Use these filter media with it:

PTFE Membrane Filters - Membrane Filters | Sigma-Aldrich

If that doesn't tickle your filtration fancy or is just too costly (in the end it is actually cheaper) then try these cause they are freaking awsome!!!

Nalgene 298 Volume Fast Cap Bottle Filter (Qty. 1) | Bottle Top Filters | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

Have fun!!!

How do the nalgene 298 fast caps work Starks? What do you put the filter in?

These caps work like this:
1st, you need an electric vacuum pump or an air driven pump. Hand pumps are shitty for this filter.
2nd, you need a media collection bottle about 250ml up to 1000ml.
3rd you need only connect the uptake tube to filter and drop into your warm unsterile gear.
4th you connect the vacuum source to the vacuum inlet.
5th you turn on vacuum at about 7-10 mm/Hg.
Lastly, you just hold the bottom end of the filter over your media bottle and and it will SUCK up to the media bottle and let go and watch the magic!!!!

Best damn filter besides the high dollar setup mentioned that I have ever used!!!! Filter about 250ml in about 5 min!!!! Actually less!!!!

Yeah, the Nalgene nylons never did anything for me!!! Matter of fact, I hated them!!!

Those fast caps are soooooo good. Double the price compared to the 250ml versions which blew out so easily for me. The Nalgene 1000ml versions are much better than their smaller counterparts but by that time Nalgene Nylon BT's lost my vote and I moved on!!! Got free samples to test of the Nalgen 298 fast caps and filtered 500ml in about 3 min at 7mmHG and about 75degree C!!!!!!
Love those things!!!
But the system I showed you above is resistant to EO and the Pharmaceutical Propylene Glycol diesters!!!!! And that shit will melt a Nalgene Nylon and Fast cap but your body LOVES that compound!!!! Makes absorption 100% better and when used 100% in place of oils like GSO and CSO etc... you can pin with 27guage needles like a breeze!!!!!
But you need the glass High dollar system and Teflon filters...

I've had the easiest time with Whatman ZapCaps.

I'll check those others out. I've always had trouble with millpore and Nalgene everytime. Everytime they crack, the filter leaked out the sides, and never filter very well.

Hey jstark11 this
Sigma-Aldrich***174; vacuum filtration assembly for 47 mm filters with glass support, NS 40/35 joints, 1 L flask | Sigma-Aldrich

how much pressure from the vaccum can it support and are those filter durable?

sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/SIGMA/P0450?lang=fr&region=CA

Need the .22 right?

Would it be compatible with : eshop.eppendorfna.com/Eppendorf_Top_Buret_bottletop_dispenser?

What is the addon used for?
Vacuum filtration assembly funnel stems
Funnel stem/glass membrane support, membrane diam. 47 mm

at

sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/z290602?lang=fr&region=CA

If you want to go really nice and smooth and much faster than Nalgene and can use this one with Warm gear even hot gear so no wait time, then use this one:

Sigma-Aldrich® vacuum filtration assembly for 47 mm filters with glass support, NS 40/35 joints, 1 L flask | Sigma-Aldrich

Use these filter media with it:

PTFE Membrane Filters - Membrane Filters | Sigma-Aldrich

If that doesn't tickle your filtration fancy or is just too costly (in the end it is actually cheaper) then try these cause they are freaking awsome!!!

Nalgene 298 Volume Fast Cap Bottle Filter (Qty. 1) | Bottle Top Filters | Disposable Vacuum Filters | Filtration | Med Lab Supply

Have fun!!!

for that top dog set up (sigma aldrich) what pump you using,and what size membrane filter??

for that top dog set up (sigma aldrich) what pump you using,and what size membrane filter??

I just want to bump this because I am curious to know the answer. I understand the original poster is probably not floating around here anymore, but maybe someone with the ability answer this query can jump in.

Back