How do I go from Watman syringe filter to vial?

Hugh Jerection

Ok, about to try my first 50mL experiment. Going small here, so I purchased some 30cc syringes and .20 watman syringe filters. I planned to filter into a 100mL vial using two large bore needles (one to input the filtered oil, and the other to vent air out of the vial as the oil enters). I looked at the bottom of the filter to see how the oil will exit, and there is just a smooth plastic tip. I guess I was expecting a Luer loc screw assembly for a needle.

How do I get the oil from the filter into my vial without contaminating it?

Flexible tubing attached to a needle which is inserted into the vial? How does one sterilize tubing?

Or do you just filter into an open-mouthed container and cap it in some way when finished filtering?

/suddenly worried about sterility

Do what you originally planned. Push your large gauge needle on the output of the whatman firmly. It will stay on there. All the pressure is in the filter and youl find out soon enough squeezing your hardest will only produce a slow drip of filtered oil coming out of the output. No where near enough flow to blow the needle off the output.

Do what you originally planned. Push your large gauge needle on the output of the whatman firmly. It will stay on there. All the pressure is in the filter and youl find out soon enough squeezing your hardest will only produce a slow drip of filtered oil coming out of the output. No where near enough flow to blow the needle off the output.

Oh, ok. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

If you are filtering straight into a .22 be prepared for a long and slow process. If you have a .45 filter, run it thru that one first THEN into the .22. Also, make sure to heat it all up first with a water bath. Warm oil is MUCH easier to filter than cold oil. Trust.

Don't use two 18s. You'll eat up your stopper. Just use the one 18 attached to the output of the Whatman and a small gauge to vent. Remember, it's only air that's coming out so an insulin needle is sufficient.

Lastly, the size of the syringe you use will directly reflect how easy it is. A 10cc will be much easier than a 20cc, etc. just be careful. The smaller you go the easier it is to blow out the filter. Keep an eye on it and if it swells too much, back off the pressure. Or you'll end up wasting a ton of oil.

If you are filtering straight into a .22 be prepared for a long and slow process. If you have a .45 filter, run it thru that one first THEN into the .22.

There is no need to filter twice. A .45 is fine. If you really want to save time and effort, invest in a bottle-top set up.

There is no need to filter twice. A .45 is fine. If you really want to save time and effort, invest in a bottle-top set up.

It's your body but I'm much more comfortable with it going thru a .22

You can attach them so it's only one time thru both. Why take a chance?

If you are filtering straight into a .22 be prepared for a long and slow process. If you have a .45 filter, run it thru that one first THEN into the .22. Also, make sure to heat it all up first with a water bath. Warm oil is MUCH easier to filter than cold oil. Trust.

Don't use two 18s. You'll eat up your stopper. Just use the one 18 attached to the output of the Whatman and a small gauge to vent. Remember, it's only air that's coming out so an insulin needle is sufficient.

Lastly, the size of the syringe you use will directly reflect how easy it is. A 10cc will be much easier than a 20cc, etc. just be careful. The smaller you go the easier it is to blow out the filter. Keep an eye on it and if it swells too much, back off the pressure. Or you'll end up wasting a ton of oil.

Thanks for the helpful info. I've never seen anyone do this...how long should it take to filter 20cc? 5 minutes? 15 minutes?

Sure. Save yourself 20 mins and risk having an unsterile product. Smh.

I've always read to use a .22um but if a .45um works without causing any sterility issue, I'd rather go this way. Its not 20mins I would save, more like a couple hours (I homebrew large volume always).

I've always read to use a .22um but if a .45um works without causing any sterility issue, I'd rather go this way. Its not 20mins I would save, more like a couple hours (I homebrew large volume always).

No, a .45 is not sufficient. Lots of heroine addicts use dirty needles and don't get HIV. Doesn't mean it's not necessary to ensure it. Besides, if you're working with large quantities, why are you fooling around with syringe filters?!

No, a .45 is not sufficient. Lots of heroine addicts use dirty needles and don't get HIV. Doesn't mean it's not necessary to ensure it. Besides, if you're working with large quantities, why are you fooling around with syringe filters?!

I use bottle tops all the time .2 um, I was reading somewhere that .45um cant filter some virus and bacteria.. I know rasta is experienced with homebrew and seeing that he's using .45um made me wonder if .2um was really necessary.. both are pretty much the same cost, maybe 1$ more for .2um but in my case it really is a time issue

I understand trying to cut corners. Especially if you think it isn't "necessary". But even if the difference is only .01%, is it really worth risking? Think about how much time, money and pain is involved with treating an infection. Nevermind lost training time.

Point being, I know lots of people who only use a .45 to save time. But since you already answered your own question with your mention of some bacteria being smaller than .45, why risk it?

I have noticed more PIP when using a .45 vs a .2/.22. I would go with the .22 everyday of the week. Samsport you said you are using bottle top filters and time is an issue?? Im not sure I follow. It doesn't take very long to do 200mls plus with a bottletop even .2

I have noticed more PIP when using a .45 vs a .2/.22. I would go with the .22 everyday of the week. Samsport you said you are using bottle top filters and time is an issue?? Im not sure I follow. It doesn't take very long to do 200mls plus with a bottletop even .2

I can see why you get more pip but u still didnt get infection.. time is an issue because of my housemate/kind of girlfriend. She doesn't know anything about my activities and when she leave our appartment I have limited time to do my things.. like 5 hours or so. I buy unsterile vial so the process take some time.. if i could save an hour or 2 with filtering that would be a stress-relief.. but I agree tho that I'd rather use a .2um and be safe.. was just thinking that maybe a .45 can do the work without significant risks. Like the bacteria/virus that can go throu is rare or something

I understand trying to cut corners. Especially if you think it isn't "necessary". But even if the difference is only .01%, is it really worth risking? Think about how much time, money and pain is involved with treating an infection. Nevermind lost training time.

Point being, I know lots of people who only use a .45 to save time. But since you already answered your own question with your mention of some bacteria being smaller than .45, why risk it?

like I said it really is a time issue in my case, the people you know that used .45 got infections? honestly I'm not going to change from my .2um since I'd hate to see one of my friend get an infection but I was still wondering what the deal is with .45 . many people use it and are fine but I never looked into it 100%

Okay, I now use a bottle-top set up, so syringe filtering is a thing of the past for me. I use Whatman ZapCaps. They're a .22 pore nylon membrane. Previously, I used .45 pore Millipore PVDF membrane syringe filters. I never had an issue. Please note that they take a fucking lifetime to filter, as do the .22 pore filters. You'll get no more than 50ml through the one filter. I never had an issue with sterility using the .45 pore membrane. I don't know anyone who has. Most sterility issues that lead to infection are due to poor injection technique or unhygienic procedures when pinning.

Back