Training frequency on-cycle

StopDisbelievin

So I've gleaned from various sources that the optimal training frequency while on-cycle is each muscle group once per week (at high intensity). Obviously everybody's different, but in general, do you guys think this approach really IS best? It seems to me like waiting so long between workouts for any given muscle could run the risk of losing whatever progress might've been made with the previous workout, no matter HOW intense it was.

As far as Frequency while On-Cycle.
This is really a Personal Preference based on your Years of Training.

Personally, I like to train each muscle ~ Twice a Week ~ for Maximum Hypertrophy.

The Genetically Gifted might not need to do this........................... JP
P.S.
Plus when I'm On-Cycle ~ I'll do some 2 a day training regiments when I'm Cutting.

So I've gleaned from various sources that the optimal training frequency while on-cycle is each muscle group once per week (at high intensity). Obviously everybody's different, but in general, do you guys think this approach really IS best? It seems to me like waiting so long between workouts for any given muscle could run the risk of losing whatever progress might've been made with the previous workout, no matter HOW intense it was.

NO...NO although we are all different it is best to hit a muscle 2 times per week. Now pick your routine as to how you do it but i will save all the variables and tell you one of the best routines i have found to this day.

A three (3) day on and one (1) day off. This will enable you to the amount of hours between time off and time on for Every muscle and or group. However some not as serious a BB don't like it because there is NO set day. It revolves. IE: Monday chest and ... whatever then Tuesday whatever, Wed whatever . Thursday OFF and back to chest and whatever on Friday.

Note given the overall body strength and ENERGY reserve a small muscle like calves that takes mega reps to build and some abb work can be plugged in the day off. But i only did that when a Body part was lagging. A full day rest is most optimum

That should give you a min of 72 hours recovery time. Which if working Extremely hard that is what is needed to recover before atrophy sets in. I did this for years and through my comp days. IT was the BEST for me and the best and most efficient way for growth.

I have seen this done with the pro's back in my day and have been privy to Lee Haney and Frank Zane doing the same. the only difference with them was a double split in which they trained 2 two times a day. Something in the am and the other part of the routine day in the pm. That way they were fresh in the gym for every part. Git in eating and rest throughout the day.

IMOP and experience once per week will not promote enough stress to yield the breakdown necessary to stimulate growth at an efficient pace.

My 2 cents with my experience IMOP and drawn for a few old school pro's.

OMM

As far as Frequency while On-Cycle.
This is really a Personal Preference based on your Years of Training.

Personally, I like to train each muscle ~ Twice a Week ~ for Maximum Hypertrophy.

The Genetically Gifted might not need to do this........................... JP
P.S.
Plus when I'm On-Cycle ~ I'll do some 2 a day training regiments when I'm Cutting.

Agreed. I will hit each muscle twice, One heavy and one high volume, and on lacking or weak muscles, I will do the exact same thing but do a triple drop set at the end of my last rep per exercise. I also do 3 days on 1 day off approach, and it has worked well. Heavy compound movement first, then I will just finish off by blasting my secondary muscles with high volume

Last edited:
Yeah, your schedule makes more sense to me. If you don't mind, could you tell me how this sounds?

Day 1: Chest/shoulders/triceps
Day 2: Quads/hamstrings/calves
Day 3: Lats/back/biceps
Day 4: (OFF)
Day 5+: (Repeat)

*3 sets of an ab exercise after every workout

Does that program seem okay, according to your method?

Yeah, your schedule makes more sense to me. If you don't mind, could you tell me how this sounds?

Day 1: Chest/shoulders/triceps
Day 2: Quads/hamstrings/calves
Day 3: Lats/back/biceps
Day 4: (OFF)
Day 5+: (Repeat)

*3 sets of an ab exercise after every workout

Does that program seem okay, according to your method?

Seems to be ok to me...

AS I said however you wanna do the mix maters not. the time interval of recovery and the time training before atrophy that counts as it has been explained. &2 hours between workouts of a muscle , NOT MORE

Well, the intervals with this schedule would actually be 96 hours or so, since the time following the workout on a given day plus the time before that same workout on the next day (four days later) would have to be added to the total.

Like, if I train chest/shoulders/triceps at 5 PM on Day 1, I won't be training those muscles again until 5 PM on Day 5. That's 96 hours. You said to take a day off after the 3 training days, so is this wait okay?

Well, the intervals with this schedule would actually be 96 hours or so, since the time following the workout on a given day plus the time before that same workout on the next day (four days later) would have to be added to the total.

Like, if I train chest/shoulders/triceps at 5 PM on Day 1, I won't be training those muscles again until 5 PM on Day 5. That's 96 hours. You said to take a day off after the 3 training days, so is this wait okay?

Yes , yes my mistake, :dunno: I always have in mind when talking to beginners that they need a min of 3 days rest before training the same muscle again. Forgetting the actual hours until the next afternoon shall I say. LOL

Generally stating to them the soreness sets in in 24 and lasts 72 when training hard w/o AAS. Just a thing in my head from my old days and my gym. :Pat:

Sorry looking a bit dumb here :insane:

Last edited:
Back