Transgender vs TRT in sports

Dickey

Apparently I'm an inconsiderate prick for asking this question to the general public, so I wanted to get y'all's take on it. Now I think for a backwoods redneck I'm a fairly liberal person in the "you do you and I'll do me" kinda way. But I think when you start involving other people in "doing you" the lines blur a little.

For anyone who hasn't seen the story, a few weeks ago a Texas wrestler who was born a girl won the girls state title, the only problem is that he has started transitioning to a boy and is taking exogenous test. So he's literally, depending on your point of view, a girl on steroids or a boy wrestling girls. Now this kid has been called a hero and an inspiration but also taken a bunch of negativity.

I've been a fan of MMA for years, and seen guys like Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson being cast as cheaters for their TRT use, as well as guys like RJ Dill in the NFL getting a suspension a couple years ago for his doctor prescribed TRT.

My point isn't to blast the kid, but over the weekend I got into a debate with a person who saw nothing wrong with the transgender kid competing while on test, but thought that using TRT in sports shouldn't be allowed. So this is my question, why is it that an ageing athlete supplementing testosterone to keep their hormone levels up is seen as wrong and cheating, but a girl athlete supplementing test to become a boy athlete is heroic and not wrong? What makes one ok but not the other?

On a side note I'd be interested to see what y'all think about him competing against the boys instead of girls?

My take on it is that at that age, kids aren't responsible. They cannot vote, drink, smoke gamble, etc... They have a curfew. So why are they allowed to decide at that age if they want to change their sex and have medical support to do so? When they turn 18 and move out of their parents' house, they can decide who they want to be. What if this kid is going through a phase that is being supported by society and then decides in 10 years or not even, that it was a mistake? Too late now!...

Back