Trap Muscles

Animalized

Hey guys, what are some of the things you do that make your traps explode and grow? I know shrugs are the excercise mentioned most for these but are there other things that help? And how many times a week do you hit these muscles?

Heavy shrugs are hard to beat, but I also like upright rows. I usually only train them once a week with deltoids, but sometimes I'll throw in some trap work on back day (if back and delt days are sufficiently spaced).

Heavy ass deadlifts should make your traps grow. Besides that I do different shrug variations and always go very heavy just for 3-4 sets a week. Traps are one of my strong areas.

I think I am genetically gifted in the trap area. I believe we all have an area where we really seem to shine. One of my areas is the traps. They seem to grow so easily for me. That being said I agree with the other guys. Heavy deadlifts, heavy shoulder shrugs with barbell and other times with dumbells to the side of my body. Feels like it hits it a little different. These are my favorite excercises for traps.

Similar boat to ronnie, i dont even train my traps and thier huge same with my shoulders but then my chest is peasent . ANOYING !

Traps are my weak point...i think its more genetic than anything. my brothers are all the same way, big guys with no traps. I usually do some type of shrug on back and shoulder day so i hit them twice.

Traps are my weak point...i think its more genetic than anything. my brothers are all the same way, big guys with no traps. I usually do some type of shrug on back and shoulder day so i hit them twice.

That may change after your first cycle - more androgen receptors in the traps :D

Pretty much the same stuff I do. Just started hitting them twice a week lately to see if that helps. I'll just start pushing the DB Shrugs a little heavier.

Thanks folks!!

Like most people, my traps are quite strong, so I also use hooks or straps once the grip goes out and I can squeeze some more out of them.

i gotta invest in some damn straps!!! i feel like i could do quite a bit more weight if i could just grip the shit, i am not lacking in my traps tho, as my genetics are on my side for that muscle :) i shrug the 100lb db's. but anthing heavier and i cant grip it so i recently started adding another shrug in as well. i use the deadlift bar that u stand inside of and i dead lift and then shrug, my favorite workout!

Yeah I try not to depend on straps and only use them when I can no longer grip the bar, but IMO they're invaluable for pushing the traps a little more.

That may change after your first cycle - more androgen receptors in the traps :D

amen

i like to do 3 sets heavy forward shurgs 3 sets rear shrugs and finish it off with 3 sets of dumbell shrugs...i aaaaaallllllllways slacked on traps. started doing this and my gf complains that my body is eating my head :wiggle:

quoted on this and deleted it on accident...this one was too you meathead

dead lifts help your traps grow? interesting i gotta stop slacking on them...kind of have a bad back from a wonderful car accident ill deff step my game upp tho

Last edited:
i like to use the smith machine n grip outside the line, that really helped the part that connects to the shoulder really grow, n then a regular grip and then behind the back,
then I move to the trap machine and load that sucker up, and then I move to the sissy Squat machine and load that baby up and shrug the shit out of my shoulders.
and tbh you really dont have to use a lot of weight a meduim amount and good form is sufficient to stimulate growth, just like any other muscle, lower it controlled and lift as high as u can controlled and they will grow.:headshot:

Use drop sets to fatigue them, start off as heavy as you can (with form) and go down the rack to failure with each drop. :)

i like to use the smith machine n grip outside the line, that really helped the part that connects to the shoulder really grow, n then a regular grip and then behind the back,
then I move to the trap machine and load that sucker up, and then I move to the sissy Squat machine and load that baby up and shrug the shit out of my shoulders.
and tbh you really dont have to use a lot of weight a meduim amount and good form is sufficient to stimulate growth, just like any other muscle, lower it controlled and lift as high as u can controlled and they will grow.:headshot:

serious move.....

Hey guys, what are some of the things you do that make your traps explode and grow? I know shrugs are the excercise mentioned most for these but are there other things that help? And how many times a week do you hit these muscles?

Traps are one of my favorite muscles to train and they respond well to BB shrugs and upright rows...squeezing at the top of the movement, bring those shoulders up to your ears.

Try a "2" count at the top...shrug, hold for 2 seconds, slowly lower...and on your last set perform a drop set...get creative, go as heavy as you can (495-585 or so) and eat my friend! I will do them once a week on either back or shoulder day.

Back