TRT for mood improvement? High normal levels?

Kodarian

Hello friends, Bio is below these questions if interested.

I want to start TRT and get into the 800-1100 range. What is the best range for mood improvement?

Lets say you feel better at 600, will you feel even better at 1100?

I am aware that the more frequent the injections, the better the stability of your level.

BIO=

Im a male, age 29, Weight train twice a week, cardio once a week due to severe recovery even from half hour workout sessions, in very deep Keto dieting, (only cruciferous vegetables and lean proteins with high quality coconut oil, less than 25 grams carbs per day-literally no sugar, very high fiber.) which is the only diet to keep me at the lowest which is at 280lbs at 5ft 8, lots of muscle and lots of fat, BMI 42 (morbid obesity) I went into Keto because it was supposed to cure the rage and irritability associated with bipolar and depression. I know this diet can lower testosterone so before i went on it, i asked my doctor for testing.

Went to first Doctor about 2 years and they only tested free T at 42 (35-155) this was taken right after waking up. He did everything else including Thyroid and it was all normal.

I asked for more T tests....

He said no, your normal, prescribed medication that didn't work. fast forward a year and.....

I ordered labs from Lab Corp. (now i am in very deep Ketosis)

Test was taken about 4-hours after waking up, how much of a difference would this impact the levels?

Also here is a link to the complete labs CBC

https://goo.gl/xpHhUd

FSH 1.5 (1.5-12.4)
LH 2.3 (1.7-8.6)
Estradiol 25.9 (7.6-42.6)
Testosterone Total 123 (348-1197)
Glucose Fasting 106 mg/dl (70 - 99) mg/dL
Vitamin D 65
TSH 1.2

Then a month later i showed my doctor (different one then the last) the labs i got from Labcorp got a more complete testosterone profile officially from my primary doctors labs. He said the range would be much lower so i was desperate to make sure it was low so woke up 8 hours before the blood draw.

Total- 126, (160-726)----- can you believe this reference range?
Bio avail T-84 (48-317)
Free T- 36 (20-135)
SHBG 13 (10-57)

He wants one more lab done in October before we talk about treatment.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
You are Hypogonadal. But you really need to draw blood first thing in the morning right after waking up. Not 5 or 8 hours later. I would run labs again. Check TT, LH, FSH, E2, Prolactin, TSH and Vitamin D. See the FAQs link below in my signature for more info on blood work and TRT.

Any diet that puts you in a caloric deficit can lower your hormone levels.

For starters, stop thinking in terms of numbers corresponding to a specific state of well-being. It doesn't always work like that, and as we're all different - what works for me, may not work for you.

Yes, as Tron stated, you ARE hypogonadal and DO NEED treatment. Many docs are skittish about touching testosterone because of the social stigma that accompanies it, but a GOOD doctor should realize that this is no different than treating diabetes with insulin.

If he's not willing to treat you, find a doctor that will. Using free testosterone as a means of excluding someone from treatment is asinine; if you're hypogonadal, you'll have lower estradiol which leads to lower SHBG typically - and higher free test as a consequence.

Free testosterone is a percentage. So if you have shitty total testosterone, but lower SHBG because of a lower estradiol - the percentage could EASILY fall into normal.

I would start looking for new doctors now.

My .02c :)

try diet and life habits first bro, just to take Test to up your mood is worth thinking through. These aint tick tacks your taking.

Thanks Megatron and Halfwit. Good to know about how Free T works in Hypo-gonadal

In a pre-TRT context, TT is typically the better indicator of one's T status than FT. FT is released in pulses and has a short half-life, so labs for FT and Bio-T are variable and results can be heavily influenced by random lab timing effects. In both cases TT is low.

All labs were taken fasting and at 7am, 1 hour after waking up.

FSH 1.5 (1.5-12.4)
LH 2.3 (1.7-8.6)
Estradiol 25.9 (7.6-42.6)
Testosterone Total 123 (348-1197)
Bio avail T-84 (48-317)
Free T- 36 (20-135)
SHBG 13 (10-57)
Glucose Fasting 106 mg/dl (70 - 99) mg/dL
TSH 2.53 (.35-3.3)
VITAMIN D, 25 HYDROXY (33.3) ng/mL (20.0 - 50.0) ng/mL
PROLACTIN (10.7) ng/mL (3.5 - 19.5) ng/mL
VITAMIN B12 (658) pg/mL (213 - 816) pg/mL
PSA SCREEN (0.5) ng/mL (0 - 4.0)ng/mL
FERRITIN (134) ng/mL (22 - 322) ng/mL
IRON TOTAL (59 )ug/dL (42 - 135) ug/dL
ALBUMIN (4.2) g/dL (3.4 - 4.8) g/dL

Lipid Panel

CHOLESTEROL 186 mg/dL 0 - 200 mg/dL

HDL CHOLESTEROL 28 mg/dL >=35 mg/dL (Low)

LDL CHOLESTEROL CALCULATION 126 <130mg/dL

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL:HDL RATIO 6.6 <4.0 (High)

TRIGLYCERIDE 162 mg/dL 35 - 160 mg/dL (High)

NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL 158 mg/dL 0 - 160 mg/dL

Update 12/21/16= Endocrinologist said that because my Free T was normal that he was not allowed to start TRT, is this by law or is he making this up?. The only way he said we could do it is off label for obesity except Free T has to be below normal as well as Total T in order for us to start. I am interested in how to lower Free T for the next blood lab. I will be on Medicare soon for 2017, We are with UC Davis Anthem Blue Cross. We spoke to 2 General Practitioners and they rejected TRT and said only a Endo in our system can prescribe you and theirs only 1 endo remotely near us who specializes in TRT. What do we do?

Thanks greatly for all your help and information.

I"m more worried about your glucose. Have you had your A1C checked? Your HDL is a little low too. How's your diet? I would also get more thyroid tests done (free T4, T3, RT3). You need Vitamin D too. What's your height and weight?

Back