Unsealed Vials

simpllyhuge

I am getting unsealed vials and puting the stopper/seal on myself with a hand crimper. What I was wondering... since the vials will be exposed to the air before I fill it, should I steralize the bottles before filling them up, or should I bake the bottles when they are filled, or is sterilization like this not even needed?

Wash the vials with some isopropyl alcohol. This needs to be dried out completely before you fill them with anything. The best method is with heat, because iso evaporates very readily. Throw em in the oven at like 250F and let em sit. when you are ready to put oil into em, take them out of the dry heat, double check they are DRY by smelling them for vapor. If and when they are dry, fill em up and plug em up. That how id do it anyways :)

DougoeFre5h said:
Wash the vials with some isopropyl alcohol. This needs to be dried out completely before you fill them with anything. The best method is with heat, because iso evaporates very readily. Throw em in the oven at like 250F and let em sit. when you are ready to put oil into em, take them out of the dry heat, double check they are DRY by smelling them for vapor. If and when they are dry, fill em up and plug em up. That how id do it anyways :)

you know Doug, my guy who sells me vials sends them on now with a fine white 'dusting' which appears to look like what is on latex gloves. What do you make of that? I just wipe it off, and have no problems, but just thought I'd ask.

RJH8541 said:
you know Doug, my guy who sells me vials sends them on now with a fine white 'dusting' which appears to look like what is on latex gloves. What do you make of that? I just wipe it off, and have no problems, but just thought I'd ask.
Probably is from gloves. Is it on the inside as well? PM me with his addy Id like to have a looksee at his prices. Btw is he an all-around dude (seals, stoppers, etc) or just glassware?

DougoeFre5h said:
Probably is from gloves. Is it on the inside as well? PM me with his addy Id like to have a looksee at his prices. Btw is he an all-around dude (seals, stoppers, etc) or just glassware?

fucking best prices I have seen, with bulk pricing and great TA. And yes, a TRUE one stop shop. Oils, solvents, glassware, seals, stoppers, filtration, etc.)

I'll shoot you a PM.

mind sharing that guys contact info with us? I am in need of some vials, stoppers, caps!
thanks

Yea i never got a PM.... rjh is slacking these days. If hes legit i might just throw the addy up on the open board. I need to triple check though of course.

DougoeFre5h said:
Yea i never got a PM.... rjh is slacking these days. If hes legit i might just throw the addy up on the open board. I need to triple check though of course.

sorry crackhead. i forgot. You have seen my wife haven't you? :flipoffha

Anyway, here it is:

www.researchsupply.net

bulk pricing on just about everything. enjoy.

RJH8541 said:
You have seen my wife haven't you?
I'm afraid we're going to need to see a full-size full-featured photo.

RJH8541 said:
And they've got 45mm media bottles, too. But maybe I'll just go with the 33mm media bottles that you already mentioned since I can be sure they work well with the Nalgene bottle-top filters. Only downside to using 33mm is that the 500mL/33mm/PES filter isn't available anymore, although maybe I'll just go for the 500mL/33mm/Pall Supor® machV filter which nobody here seems to have used. Damn, either way, I guess that I'll be trying something that nobody else here has used.

UPDATE: researchlabsupply.com doesn't appear to have sealed sterile vials with the exception of 2mL vials. Cheaper to order from only one place, so I guess I'll get everything from www.researchsupply.net. Anyone used their 45mm media bottles or have an opinion on whether they will fit the 45mm Naglene filters or not? Thanks.

Last edited:
dougea and rjh......
when dealing with unsealed vials.....is it necassary to sterilize the stopper? if so how?

also, once i sterilize the vial, and fill it with filtered oil, should i throw it back in the oven (w/out the stopper or lid) and bake for 30min. just to ensure sterility?

thanks in advance!!!

mranak said:
I'm afraid we're going to need to see a full-size full-featured photo.

And they've got 45mm media bottles, too. But maybe I'll just go with the 33mm media bottles that you already mentioned since I can be sure they work well with the Nalgene bottle-top filters. Only downside to using 33mm is that the 500mL/33mm/PES filter isn't available anymore, although maybe I'll just go for the 500mL/33mm/Pall Supor® machV filter which nobody here seems to have used. Damn, either way, I guess that I'll be trying something that nobody else here has used.

UPDATE: researchlabsupply.com doesn't appear to have sealed sterile vials with the exception of 2mL vials. Cheaper to order from only one place, so I guess I'll get everything from www.researchsupply.net. Anyone used their 45mm media bottles or have an opinion on whether they will fit the 45mm Naglene filters or not? Thanks.

Now why wouldn't the 45mm bottles fit the 45mm filters?
:afro:

anyway, either bottle will be fine, and believe me, this guys is adding stuff everyday to make this a true one stop shop. Only thing he can't beat is solvents and oils (of course that's becuase of the amounts he sells, and i buy my peanut oil at the grocery store.)

OC Cartel said:
dougea and rjh......
when dealing with unsealed vials.....is it necassary to sterilize the stopper? if so how?

no, just rub it down with alcohol if you like, but they will deteriorate after a while. I buy new stoppers since they are so cheap. I think i bought 500 last time for like $35 bucks.

OC Cartel said:
also, once i sterilize the vial, and fill it with filtered oil, should i throw it back in the oven (w/out the stopper or lid) and bake for 30min. just to ensure sterility?

thanks in advance!!!

No need. Actually baking gear is not neccessary at all at the temps we talk about, as it really does nothing for sterility. Just an extra 'feel-good' step IMO. I just don't do it anymore.

Remember, the key to sterility when filling vials from media bottles or otherwise is ensuring that the environment is clean. Making sure there isn't alot of dust or shit like that in the air is the most important. Just be smart about it. You'll be fine. Hell, in PBs early days them fuckers didn't even filter their shit.

Hi guys, trying to get involved in the wonderful world of “home brew (hb)”, me and my friends use quite a bit of gear and I would like to know the ins and outs of the whole HB business. I know I prob in the wrong place to be asking this kina question and your going to send me to other threads with instructions on em, but hear goes..

Have read several other posts on other threads and come away some what confused! I read one, think great, that’s easy, then read another and it fries my head..

Looking for like a personal online HB trainer to take me through the various steps… Like a big brother figure for the HB.. lol

Any advice will be rewarded via paypal..

Please help guys..

Cheers
Drew

RJH8541 said:
Now why wouldn't the 45mm bottles fit the 45mm filters?
:afro:

anyway, either bottle will be fine, and believe me, this guys is adding stuff everyday to make this a true one stop shop. Only thing he can't beat is solvents and oils (of course that's becuase of the amounts he sells, and i buy my peanut oil at the grocery store.)

Why the peanut oil? Just wondering. Is there any benefit over the other oils?

mw101 said:
Why the peanut oil? Just wondering. Is there any benefit over the other oils?

Peanut oil (besides walnut) is one of the thinner oils out there, which makes injects a bit easier. Be careful though as some are allergic to peanuts and it could cause problems.

Grapeseed is supposed to have some benefit as far as health is concerned, but i get a big ass gallon of Peanut oil for like $10 i think.

Threading is pretty much a standard across the board. You have course and fine thread constraints that everyone follows. In this case Id bet it fits.

DougoeFre5h said:

Will this type of sterilization ensure decontanination of Spores and pryogenes too. I would that only be accomplished via autoclave?

Back