US to Ban Ephedra

Old Guy

U.S. to Ban Dietary Supplement Ephedra

2 hours ago

By JOHN SOLOMON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration has decided to ban the herbal weight-loss supplement ephedra from the marketplace because of concerns about its effects on health, government officials said Tuesday.

Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson and Food and Drug Administration chief Mark McClellan were to announce the ban at a midday news conference, the officials said, speaking only on condition of anonymity.

The ban is likely to be met with litigation from manufacturers who dispute the agency's assertion that ephedra, which was blamed in the death of a professional baseball player earlier this year, is a health risk.

The government ban, one of the first involving a dietary supplement, comes after Thompson this summer urged Congress to rewrite a law that rolled back dietary-supplement regulations and to require manufacturers to acknowledge potential side effects.

Ephedra has been linked to as many as 100 deaths, officials have said. And Congress gathered testimony from families of people who are believed to have died from its side effects. Among those who testified were the parents of Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steve Bechler, who died during spring training last February while trying to lose weight. Toxicology tests showed ephedra in his system.

Executives of several companies that make ephedra-based products have said that studies have proven that they are safe when used properly.

"Anyone who has read our label knows that we go to great lengths to inform our customers about the proper use of our products," said Russell Schreck, chief executive officer of San Diego-based nutritional supplement-maker Metabolife International. "We make it quite clear on our label that the ephedra products are not to be sold or used by minors and that customers with certain pre-existing medical conditions should 'consult a physician before product use'."

But several scientists said that it was impossible to prove whether ephedra was safe because studies screen out participants who have health problems _ the people most likely to be hurt by the product.

The General Accounting Office, Congress' investigative arm, looked into the issue and found many people who reported problems had followed the label's instructions.

The FDA had proposed warning labels and dosage limits for dietary supplements with ephedra back in 1997, but then withdrew the proposal after complaints from the industry and members of Congress.

In 2001, the National Football League banned its players from using ephedra as a dietary supplement.

This needs to be a sticky.........Banning Ephedra is just the first step in limiting our choices of supplements. Pro Hormones are the next to go....

I wonder if the "research chem" dealers will be able to pick up the slack on this one? I mean, they seem to be getting away with liquid nolvadex and clenbuterol...

I am buying alot of it for future use. It's the unhealthy glaucoma,high blood pressure fools that fucked this up for us. And that baseball players son "who also had a fucking heart condition". Stupid people.

It's especially sad in light of the fact that over half of the entire US population is overweight.

What needs to happen is for the people of the US stop asking the government to be their parents. It's ridiculous. Go out and talk to some random people, not your friends who more than likely think like you and you will undoubtedly hear these words, 'there needs to be a law,' or 'the government needs to do something about...'

That's the crux of the problem, not some narrow minded focus on supplements. All that gets you into are more stupid arguments like, aren't you big enough already, or you don't look fat why do you obsess about getting leaner.

IMO, until the government stops being asked to treat the populace like children, this will continue on an almost daily basis. Because let's face it, the politicians don't give a flying fuck what laws they pass as long as the people want those laws. The politician's first order of business is to get re-elected. And these laws are what the people want.

Just look at the fucking witch-hunt that happened against dnp guru. And what for? Because they could point the finger at one person. The recreational drug dealers and friends of this fuck who ended up dying obviously weren't to blame. And with as much evidence backing them as Lyle Alzado had about his rare brain cancer being from steroids, they went after the guru.

And the people were safe again.

I see a similar pattern with all this post 9-11 bullshit. As long as we keep giving up personal freedoms because we would rather be safe, we lose. And that is exactly what we are doing.

When should we start worrying about not being able to get ephedra anymore. I beleive I read at the beginning of next year.

What the hell is next, vitamin e.....

Thanks all you stupid MF's that can't be responsible with something, and ruin things like this for the rest of us...

I have a close friend with a supplement store, I think I'll ask him to stock up on a few hundred thousand tabs of it he gets it for about $3 can$ per 100tbs......
He'll keep us all hooked up.....
anyone that needs it drop me a line and I'll pass it on to someone to see if there's any interest in it as time goes by...

Pretty soon our coffee will only be available decafeinated for fuks sake..... Funny how north america needs to be saved from itself...
I can see keeping it away from kids and meth makers, but the average person that wants a lift should be able to take it responsibly shouldn't they?????

- man gets caught with 76 tabs of the banned drug effedrine - gets 3 yrs hard time....
rant rant rant.....

i get this stuff at a store near me called 'turbo charge' and it gives me the pump that ephedra did the 2 hrs. im in there....try it. its like 10 bucks for 60 pills

i think bb's should make the laws up , about anything to do with bb!.
the government does'nt go to the gym, they dont eat right,or train fukin hard, man whatever, thats bs, banning shit they dont know about. ooooh 100 people died, im sorry about that, but i bet some that died over dosed and were on alcohol while on, or they didnt know how to take it properly. thats my opinion.

I like it, doesnt give me any probs,,,,,,,i heard at the gym today that the red bull vitamin drink out there, people are buying it like its going out of style and going to the bar with it and mixing it with there drinks. so i went to the bar and yep, people are, its shit like that , that gets supps banned. fukin dumb fuks, doing shit like that, then we all miss out,because its banned and we cant get it. im just ranting , but we gotta do something about it,can we ???????

TxLonghorn said:
It's especially sad in light of the fact that over half of the entire US population is overweight.

What needs to happen is for the people of the US stop asking the government to be their parents. It's ridiculous. Go out and talk to some random people, not your friends who more than likely think like you and you will undoubtedly hear these words, 'there needs to be a law,' or 'the government needs to do something about...'

That's the crux of the problem, not some narrow minded focus on supplements. All that gets you into are more stupid arguments like, aren't you big enough already, or you don't look fat why do you obsess about getting leaner.

IMO, until the government stops being asked to treat the populace like children, this will continue on an almost daily basis. Because let's face it, the politicians don't give a flying fuck what laws they pass as long as the people want those laws. The politician's first order of business is to get re-elected. And these laws are what the people want.

Just look at the fucking witch-hunt that happened against dnp guru. And what for? Because they could point the finger at one person. The recreational drug dealers and friends of this fuck who ended up dying obviously weren't to blame. And with as much evidence backing them as Lyle Alzado had about his rare brain cancer being from steroids, they went after the guru.

And the people were safe again.

I see a similar pattern with all this post 9-11 bullshit. As long as we keep giving up personal freedoms because we would rather be safe, we lose. And that is exactly what we are doing.

yeah ban mcdonalds and jack daniels you fat mother fuckers!!

Back