Useful uses of Cortisol for bodybuilders

Mrrippedzilla

MIA - PM only
I thought I would post this after Mr P asked about the effects of cortisone (and other cortisol derivatives) on bodybuilding during AAS cycles.
Its not something that alot of users are familiar with & I think some basic info will be useful to advanced lifters who may suffer from injuries and wonder how cortisol would impact their gains.

Intro

Corticosteroids, also known as glucocorticoids, is the scientific term used when discussing different forms of cortisol (injections, etc).
These hormones have the ability to increase gluconeogenesis (production of glucose), reduce inflammation, increased the release of fatty acids (lipolysis), muscle catabolism, and positive psychological effects.

Now if your a bodybuilder you may be wondering how cortisol can considered to be a performance enhancer if its catabolic?
Well corticosteroids are only catabolic if used for a EXTENSIVE period of time; this leads to chronically elevated levels of cortisol. Its performance enhancement benefits are designed to be short term in order to minimize the catabolic effects.

Benefits

Everyone has heard of professional athletes (NFL players in particular) using corticosteroids in order to maintain the highest levels of performance during periods of injury. The reason for this is because corticosteroids can increase performance SIGNIFICANTLY.
The ability to elevate your blood glucose levels for an extended time and mask the pain of any injuries means our muscles are provided with a huge supply of energy enabling us to go beyond our limits in the gym. In addition to this, its anti-inflammatory and pain relief properties covers up any discomfort when increasing the intensity (heavier weights).
Corticosteroids also have a mild stimulant effect that can increase your focus and "pump" in the gym - one of the reasons its banned for performance use by many sports bodies.

Summary

So to summarise, cortisol derivatives do have many benefits if use short term such as better training sessions and maintaining your performance on cycle despite any injuries that may occur.
However, in order to avoid its long term catabolic nature, corticosteroids should never be depended on and should only be used during specific, short term situations where injuries may disturb your progress.

Good read. Ive always been under the impression that elevated cortisol levels were bad, especially when running tren.

Good read. Ive always been under the impression that elevated cortisol levels were bad, especially when running tren.

In terms of interacting with an AAS cycle, it should be pretty minimal (some people claim to be feel more aggressive so it MAY make this worse if your already susceptible to it on cycle).

Long term elevated levels are certainly bad, especially for bodybuilders - muscle loss and bloat are common symptoms. But in the short term, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Not asking for source but can one buy legit cortisol injectjons?

I've only heard of bodybuilders using them during injuries, prescribed by doctors.
I can't imagine cortisol sources being in high demand due to the long term effects. However, as with most things, I'm sure there are sources out there for it if you look hard enough.

It would depend on why your taking it but in general I would say stick to it for as long as your doctor suggests (based on the injury & future treatment options).

For athletes (powerlifters, football players, etc) - using corticosteroids to get you through the season, or through the last few weeks before your meet is perfectly fine. Problems arise when you become dependent on the corticosteroids over a few months and refuse to treat the actual injury (even in the off season), this leads to tendon weakness and muscle atrophy in the future.

For bodybuilders - if you have a contest coming up in the next few weeks, then the treatment would allow you to maintain intensity in the gym despite your injury BUT it doesn't mean that after your contest is over you should keep using it. That would be the time to seek a more permanent treatment for the issue.

Basically, the sooner you can come off it the better - it can only be beneficial for those who need to maintain performance and have timelines that don't allow them to fix the underlying problem.

Last edited:
Back