Using anabolics to treat muscle injuries?

Goat Ass

Forum *****istrator
Can someone recommend some resources on using anabolics to treat muscle injuries. I have an injured calf that has persisted in being injured despite 2 years of all kinds of treatment and physical therapy. ready to try anything, perhaps Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) would help.

Goat Ass said:
Can someone recommend some resources on using anabolics to treat muscle injuries. I have an injured calf that has persisted in being injured despite 2 years of all kinds of treatment and physical therapy. ready to try anything, perhaps Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) would help.

Could you be more specific? Near the knee, just above the ankle, gastroc, soleus, Achilles tendon? Mechanism of injury?
Is it muscle, or tendon/ligament, or do you know?
Your age and size?

I have a pretty high insertion on my calves, and the injury appears to be below it. 5 inches below the bulge of the calf, but not down on the achilles tendon. Doctors don't seem to know what it is (and I have been to many of them) but my opinion is that it's got to be something wrong with the insertion point itself, possibly where the tendon begins.

Its an overuse injury, happened gradually while hiking one time. I am 6'5 210lbs. 23 years.

it can be a shin splint? that's my guess

actually i know someone who had an injury, like a strain, on his leg for months and it wouldn't go away...so he went to a few doctors and none of them knew...he went to this one doctor that sat him down on a table and took a few steaming hot towels and put it right on his leg for about 15 minutes..he said it burned like shit but when he took the towels off he leg was perfect. just an FYI

jacked

Goat Ass said:
I have a pretty high insertion on my calves, and the injury appears to be below it. 5 inches below the bulge of the calf, but not down on the achilles tendon. Doctors don't seem to know what it is (and I have been to many of them) but my opinion is that it's got to be something wrong with the insertion point itself, possibly where the tendon begins.

Its an overuse injury, happened gradually while hiking one time. I am 6'5 210lbs. 23 years.

Sometimes there is an injury of the musculotendinous junction (where muscle becomes tendon; not a distinct demarcation, but a transition zone).
Prolotherapy can be of benefit, but you need a doc who's confident and knows what he's doing. This has def become a chronic problem, the usual methods don't seem to be getting it.
BTW, shin splints are anterior by definition, this is posterior.

if it is what buffdoc describes, then no, Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) will not help it and would probably make it worse.

Increasing the muscle strength in that area would cause a harder pull on the tendon and further aggrivate the problem.

Back