Vegetarian needs help with diet por favor.

BronzedGoddess

I love racist crackers!!!
Ok so I'd like a little help with my diet. I'd like to lean out a bit. I do eat eggs and dairy. I'm 5'7 130. I'd like to lose about 5lbs of fat. I know WBJH is a vegetarian but I haven't seen her around lately. Maybe she's already in the Corps. Any suggestions?

hey bg! geez; 5 7'' and only 130??? i'm 5'6'' 150! i feel like a big'un lol :(
what are you currently eating? i would definitely recommend tofu!! mixed with scrambled eggs it's a great protein meal. also, morningstar makes a great burger thats high in pro and low in carbs. try to eat lots of high-fiber veggies (brocc, spinach, cabbage, etc). as far as dairy goes, you'd prolly want to eat low-fat cottage cheese, but i can't say much for milk as it's high in sugar. you know the drill- post up that diet and let's see what we can do!

hey minxy. I try to stay away from too much soy because of the negative press it has gotten in the bb world ( I do mix my protein shake with chocolate soy milk post workout). I eat christopher eggs because they have 600 mg of EFA per egg. I eat the whole egg not just the white :( I eat lots of raw veggies, I try to down ff cottage cheese with a tbs of all fruit. Designer whey protein. Stuff like that. I guess my "diet foods" are limited, but I guess the same holds true for omnivores as well. I can lose weight by eating "regular" food, but I'm trying to kick start my weight loss before I go home for the 4th of july. The last time I got really lean I was eating poultry so it wasn't as difficult. I guess I don't have much to lose other than some vanity pounds.

You maybe 150 but you have a hell of a lot more musle than I do ;) Thanks for your help. So far today I've eaten

3 shredded wheat biscuits 1 banana and organic skim milk
4 eggs scrambled
about 2 cups raw baby broccoli and 1 small package of baby carrots

I'll have 2 scoops of whey protein in my pw shake tonight in 8 oz of chocolate soy milk

then maybe 1 cup ff cottage cheese with 1 tbs all fruit for my last meal before I go run the bleachers at the track.

Last edited:
BronzedGoddess said:
Ok so I'd like a little help with my diet. I'd like to lean out a bit. I do eat eggs and dairy. I'm 5'7 130. I'd like to lose about 5lbs of fat. I know WBJH is a vegetarian but I haven't seen her around lately. Maybe she's already in the Corps. Any suggestions?

Sadly, still around...

Obviously, I'm probably not the best person to ask about losing weight on a vegetarian diet as I've been struggling with getting my weight down to enlist...A lot of my protein comes from either cottage cheese or eggs. Also, look into Boca brand vegan burgers...70 calories, 5 carbs, 13 protein...However, I think a big part of my problem was sodium...cottage cheese has anywhere from 300-400mg a 1/2c! Those vegan burgers have 330mg (that's why they're so damn good!)...So, I'd definitely watch your sodium levels...I LOVE salad though...Oddly, a nice big salad is a great comfort food for me...Watch your carbs from fruit and yogurt, as well, as I've found that's also one of my problems...I'm learning though...

I guess the only thing I can offer is to watch your sodium levels and carbs, but I'm sure you already knew that...and be careful with those carrots...I know it sounds stupid, but man, I was eating those fuckers like they were candy, and surprisingly, they have a lot of carbs...:dunno:

I was a vegetarian for 7 years and losing weight on that diet is easy.

I would limit dairy though. That is garbage in your body.

Egg Whites and Whey shakes are your best protien source. I would also eat soy burgers plain. The rest of the diet is vegetables only. Salads and steamed veg. I would use salsa or lightly drizzle Olive or Flax oil on them but no dressings.

I am 5'6 and as a veg eatin like that I was 118. Skinny girl. Now I'm stacked. I love it. I weigh 141 10% body fat. Eat fish and chicken. I hate to say it but it is so worth it.

Thanks everyone. I got sick last summer after eating a Boca burger so I can't stand the taste of them now. I make burgers out of portabello mushrooms now. Guess I'll fire up some veggies on the grill this weekend and make eggs and whey my best friends. The whey bloats me up so maybe I'll have to do that at night.

Do I really need to cut out all the fruit? Can I still keep things like berries in my diet, aren't they sorta low glycemic?

BronzedGoddess said:
Thanks everyone. I got sick last summer after eating a Boca burger so I can't stand the taste of them now. I make burgers out of portabello mushrooms now. Guess I'll fire up some veggies on the grill this weekend and make eggs and whey my best friends. The whey bloats me up so maybe I'll have to do that at night.

Do I really need to cut out all the fruit? Can I still keep things like berries in my diet, aren't they sorta low glycemic?

Okay, forget the Boca (although I love 'em!!) Try Morning Star's products - parmesean (can't spell!) chick'n patties are great!!

I mean, it's all trial and error...I love apples and yogurt, but I've found that I have to cut back on 'em both...but it's great because Dannon Light 'n Fit now has a extra-fiber yogurt that's apple flavored!! (70 calories and 3g of fiber) Yay...hehe...cheap thrills...I think with me, my problem was/is I have a sweet tooth, and I use fruit to help check my refined sugars in check, but it's not always a good thing with me...again, though, everyone reacts differently...3 apples a day, not a good thing!! =) Moderation...blah...

Hey Goddess
If the whey is bloating you, its the mix or the brand. I custom blend at trueprotein.com and have found out which types of whey taste clean and give me NO bloat. Let me know if I can give you some suggestions on that.
As far as jarheads suggestions on the morningstar stuff....
I wouldn't eat any pattie that is over 100 calories and 5gs of fat. Without looking at the labels, I'd bet those are loaded with cals and fats.
Berries are great. I do blueberries or apples. Measure the portions. 2 servings aday. I do 1/2 cup servings size of blueberries in my shakes or eat a SMALL apple.

cedartree said:
Hey Goddess
If the whey is bloating you, its the mix or the brand. I custom blend at trueprotein.com and have found out which types of whey taste clean and give me NO bloat. Let me know if I can give you some suggestions on that.
As far as jarheads suggestions on the morningstar stuff....
I wouldn't eat any pattie that is over 100 calories and 5gs of fat. Without looking at the labels, I'd bet those are loaded with cals and fats.
Berries are great. I do blueberries or apples. Measure the portions. 2 servings aday. I do 1/2 cup servings size of blueberries in my shakes or eat a SMALL apple.

Eh...depending on the flavor, calorie range can be from 70 - 150 per pattie...and there's very little fat in many of those...The ones I eat are 70 calories, 1 g of fat, 6 g of carbs (4 g of fiber), and 13 g of protein...I guess I don't consider that to be bad...:dunno:

Hey BG

Was at the gym this morning (there is a god! and an open gym on ID!), and reading Runner's World while I was doing cardio...Saw something that might interest you, as it caught my attention...There's a book out, The Vegetarian Sports Nutrition Guide : Peak Performance for Everyone from Beginners to Gold Medalists by Lisa Dorfman...For $13 at Amazon, I figured it'd be worth a look...ordered it just a few minutes ago...You might wanna check it out?? I'll letcha know what I think when I get it...

wannabejarhead said:
Was at the gym this morning (there is a god! and an open gym on ID!), and reading Runner's World while I was doing cardio...Saw something that might interest you, as it caught my attention...There's a book out, The Vegetarian Sports Nutrition Guide : Peak Performance for Everyone from Beginners to Gold Medalists by Lisa Dorfman...For $13 at Amazon, I figured it'd be worth a look...ordered it just a few minutes ago...You might wanna check it out?? I'll letcha know what I think when I get it...
Thanks WBJH, I was out of town for a week, but I'll be sure to check it out, my library might even have it.

However, I think a big part of my problem was sodium...cottage cheese has anywhere from 300-400mg a 1/2c!

They have no salt cottage cheese. I get from any supermarket, usually it's 1% milk fat, sodium free. Tastes gross but I down half a container every night

Back