Wandering Silva Signs with UFC

Eze

The UFC today announced the signing of former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva.

In an article with UFC.com’s Thomas Gherbasi, the UFC announced that Silva will return to fight for the UFC for the first time in seven years. He last fought in the Octagon in April of 2000, losing a decision to Tito Ortiz at UFC 25.

The return of Silva, who is currently the #5 Light Heavyweight in the MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings, is slated for sometime in December. Although no date or opponent was announced, it is likely that “The Axe Murder” will make his return on the December 29 year-end extravaganza.

Both Silva and former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell have stated several times that they would like to face each other and UFC President Dana White has tried for years to put that fight together, so it would not be a stretch to believe that Silva vs. Liddell is the likely match-up for Silva’s return.

Silva commented in Gherbasi’s article that, as a longtime Pride champion, it has been a dream of his to have the UFC belt around his waste.

The signing appeared to be the realization of a dream of sorts for White as well. He stated on UFC.com, “As crazy as this sounds, this is the pinnacle of my seven year career in this company.”

The UFC has reserved December 29 with the Nevada State Athletic Commission for an event at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

YouTube - Highlight video

UFC now has a stacked WW, HW, and LHW class. Bring in a couple more LW and a bunch of MW fighters and UFC will be nuts!!!!

MW: Other than Rich Franklin and Anderson Silva there isn't much competition on this division. Rich may take the belt from Silva, but I don't think either of them have much to fear in terms of the rest of the MW division. Kendal Grove may be an issue for the two of them in a year or so, but I don`t see anyone else giving them a hard time.

I've been waiting for lidell vs silva for so long. gunna be a good fight. I really would like to see lidell come back strong after a loss. I'm also looking fwd to st. pierre vs koscheck aug 27 I believe. I hope pierre smashes him so bad. I can't stand popcorn head.

I believe a fight of both chute boxe veterans silva and shogun will be places ASAP, as there are big rumors that silva has split up with the Brazilian team.

Back