Webber Available

freakinhuge

6ers waive former All-Star Webber
January 11, 2007

Philadelphia 76ers forward Chris Webber complains about a call during the second half of their basketball game against the Orlando Magic in Orlando, Fla., in this Dec. 9, 2006 file photo. The 76ers completed the paperwork to buy out the remaining 1 1/2 seasons on Webber's contract Wednesday, Jan 10, 2007.
AP - Jan 11, 12:09 am EST
More Photos

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia 76ers waived forward Chris Webber on Thursday, making the five-time All-Star eligible to sign with another team after clearing waivers.

The Sixers completed the paperwork to buy out the remaining 1 1/2 seasons on Webber's contract Wednesday, ending two disappointing years in Philadelphia. Once he clears waivers after 48 business hours, teams will be eligible to sign him.

Webber missed 11 of the last 14 games, officially with foot and ankle injuries. He was due nearly $21 million this season and $22 million next season.

Webber, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1993 draft, averaged 11 points and 8.3 rebounds in 18 games this season. He has career averages of 21.4 points and 10 rebounds.

I could be a pretty good addition for a top team. He could be a great 3rd or 4th option. I think he could be a good fit for the pistons, spurs, heat, even the jazz. All of them could use another solid big man to help down the stretch.

Wow, I didn't realize they bought him out...

I'm not shocked though. The Maloof bros knew what they were getting rid of when they shipped C Webb off to the Sixers. Webber's knees are shot. He's not even half the player he once was.

I agree I think Webber is over the hill, he will help some team that is already great a little but his all-star years are way behind him

C Webb is a Piston. He whines, cries, and complains his way out of Philly, gets bought out of his contract (he received just about all of it), and gets to play for a contender. I hope he flops, but I can see him contributing as a role player on Detroit.

Back