Western Union and ID?

Ripped2Shreds

I'm trying to send about $4k to a friend of mine in Russia, but Western Union asked for ID. I've sent $ before with just a driver's license, but they also asked me for a social security card or a passport. Is this normal?

I usually use west union but have never had to show ID. I think you might have to because of the amount. Try calling WU up and asking them if thats their policy if your doing it at a affiliate place

I sent 2k to a friend in Russia. When i used WU, the lady at the bank asked for ID. I asked why and she said because it was a large amount of $$$.

I think once you go over $1000 you have to show ID.. anything under they don't even check.. My buddy sends his shit to mexico, w/ fake name, sig, etc. Never checked for ID. Does it at a grocery store..

As I recall from a sign I saw on my last trip to a WU counter, there is a definate dollar amount, afterwhich you must present I.D.

Trucker111 said:
I think once you go over $1000 you have to show ID.. anything under they don't even check.. My buddy sends his shit to mexico, w/ fake name, sig, etc. Never checked for ID. Does it at a grocery store..

Yes, after $1,000 ID is required. You're going to have to split that up into four wires and get fucked in WU fees.

china under 1000 need to show id. id above 1000. never heard about all that other shit but i think it could be for security reasons. decent amount of cash getting moved.

Moneygram is usually, not always, cheaper, and less strict on showing ID's. I think most WalMart's have MG in their service dept.

Remember, if you are using a fake name, you are basically giving up any hope of having the money returned to you if there is a delivery problem. Of course if you use your ID, you are creating a paper trail for law enforcement...

string_bean00 said:
Yes, after $1,000 ID is required. You're going to have to split that up into four wires and get fucked in WU fees.

Thats right. ID after 1K is required. Western Union fees now are ridiculous. Luckily my source has a SwiftPay account where the transfer fee is always $6 no matter how much money you send.

Front Runner said:
Open up an e-gold account. Sending cash to Russia is stupid. Moneygram has the same security risks as WU.

EGold is the way to go, I sent money through there and there is absolutely no trail leading back to me (unless the feds want to go as far as to see which computer I accessed the EGold website from and trace it back to my computer, but the chances of that are basically non existant)

You have to send them a money order, then they'll fund your account with that amount of e-gold, minues like 2-3%. Set up an account with a fake name, go to the bank and get a money order with a fake name, and you're basically untraceable

Back