What is the correct protein diet for a vegetarian like me?

michealsmith

I ve joined a gym for weight gain and muscle building and when i inquired about the diet they told me to take lots of protein and eat a lot. Basically im a vegetarian but i eat eggs at my office where they serve it only two days a week.

Last edited:
Well, since you're not going to be getting all the valuable BCAA's and vitamins from Meat, you're going to need to supplement those.

Are you against drinking Whey?

I don't really think there is a real good substitue for meat when building muscle. I know there is some protein in beans and soy shakes but it isn't the same type of protien. Eggs are def. a plus, also milk, fish, chicken and I eat alot of beef too even tho it has more fat its good when bulking. And no matter the supplement, nothing is quite the same as the whole food. So wish ya luck whatever u decide to do.
If u eat eggs, I'd at least up your egg intake (a couple yokes and many whites).

i stand corrected, but it'd b so much ezier 2 eat meat.:beertoast

Yep. I just had an 11oz sirloin, extra rare with mushrooms and onions.

So rare it you could have slapped a couple bandaids on it and thrown it back to the field and it probably would have been ok.

I ve joined a gym for weight gain and muscle building and when i inquired about the diet they told me to take lots of protein and eat a lot. Basically im a vegetarian but i eat eggs at my office where they serve it only two days a week.

im a vegetarian too, 5yrs now, im also 225lbs at 5'8, so i think i know what im doing.

you can live without meat, yes it makes it tougher to get the protein in, but its not nearly as bad as what everyone makes it sound. its about being educated

soy IS NOT bad for you, its bro-lore BS, and it is an excellent source of protein

protein by way of protein shakes is a sold starter. the eggs are cool too, but i dont eat them everyday either. add peanut butter to your shakes, or a good 2xtbsp before bed

in your case, and mine, calories will play a huge role in your growth. the more cals you add via carbs/fat will help the body leave what protein you get in unscathed (not burned for energy)

since their is no meat in there, a solid multi, amino acids, and creatine are all solid additions as the previous poster said

i eat alot of soy, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, pasta, eggs,whole wheats (rice, potatos, cereal), its really about calories, the protein will come if you eat enough....i think a misconception is vegetarians dont eat enough or eat 'light', we eat everything, except meat (i dont eat fish either, never did)

good luck

it is alot easier to add muscle with meat, however in my case, and most vegetarians, our values super-cede the inch or two on our biceps (mine are 20, without meat, soooo)

i just happen to love bodybuilding, and have had to adapt my eating to facilitate growth

if anything, its the cutting thats harder, cause you guys cut carbs slowly, or go all out keto, when in our/my case its more about caloric manipulation and carb cycling (what i do)

im a vegetarian too, 5yrs now, im also 225lbs at 5'8, so i think i know what im doing.

you can live without meat, yes it makes it tougher to get the protein in, but its not nearly as bad as what everyone makes it sound. its about being educated

soy IS NOT bad for you, its bro-lore BS, and it is an excellent source of protein

protein by way of protein shakes is a sold starter. the eggs are cool too, but i dont eat them everyday either. add peanut butter to your shakes, or a good 2xtbsp before bed

in your case, and mine, calories will play a huge role in your growth. the more cals you add via carbs/fat will help the body leave what protein you get in unscathed (not burned for energy)

since their is no meat in there, a solid multi, amino acids, and creatine are all solid additions as the previous poster said

i eat alot of soy, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, pasta, eggs,whole wheats (rice, potatos, cereal), its really about calories, the protein will come if you eat enough....i think a misconception is vegetarians dont eat enough or eat 'light', we eat everything, except meat (i dont eat fish either, never did)

good luck

quinoa and hemp protein are great options imo

Yep. I just had an 11oz sirloin, extra rare with mushrooms and onions.

So rare it you could have slapped a couple bandaids on it and thrown it back to the field and it probably would have been ok.

LOL. I can't get to eating steak at that point. I started eating it well done and have slowly progressed to medium rare but I think that will be my last stop.

Before I couldn't even imagine being a vegetarian. Especially when bodybuilding. But I've seen a few vegetarian bodybuilders manage to get pretty impressive results and tried a few good vegetarian meals, and it isn't so bad once in a while.

LOL. I can't get to eating steak at that point. I started eating it well done and have slowly progressed to medium rare but I think that will be my last stop.

Before I couldn't even imagine being a vegetarian. Especially when bodybuilding. But I've seen a few vegetarian bodybuilders manage to get pretty impressive results and tried a few good vegetarian meals, and it isn't so bad once in a while.

it can be done:cool::cool:

you use why protein powder or eat meat much its have much protein .. what is your weight and height.

health savings account minnesota

Last edited:
I used to be a vegetarian until i got married. I would eat whey shakes plus lots of cheese when i was a kid obviously cant eat to much cheese now tho. Yeah Egg protien and hemp should be good. I dont know too much about soy but what ive read (im not claiming that im knowlegeable of the subject) is that its estrogenic and not as bioavailable.

I used to be a vegetarian until i got married. I would eat whey shakes plus lots of cheese when i was a kid obviously cant eat to much cheese now tho. Yeah Egg protien and hemp should be good. I dont know too much about soy but what ive read (im not claiming that im knowlegeable of the subject) is that its estrogenic and not as bioavailable.

Yea... That is a big myth.. Supposedly, soy proteins are rich on phytoestrogens which allegedly have an estrogenic quality.

It's just not true... There are phytoestrogens in many, many food sources aside from soy protein.

Soy is inferior because it is not a complete protein source... But it can still be supplemented effectively.

Back