Whey gets absorbed too fast?

Anaboliking

I just bought two large pots of ISOPURE WHEY PROTEIN for my PWO shake but a guy in my gym told me that this protein is so pure and fastly absorbed that the body actualy turns it into carbs. This doesnt make much sense to me but has anyone heard anything similar?

I just bought two large pots of ISOPURE WHEY PROTEIN for my PWO shake but a guy in my gym told me that this protein is so pure and fastly absorbed that the body actualy turns it into carbs. This doesnt make much sense to me but has anyone heard anything similar?

What did this guy look like? Was he swole enough that you would think he knows what he is talking about or was he fat?

How can a protein be turned into a carb? Doesnt that go agains the laws of physics?

nah, your body can turn proteins into gylcogen for storage if necessary, but that requires energy and your body will not do it unless it is necessary. You are fine using Isopure, some people just intake too much and that is when your body decides to hold on to what isn't needed and store it for later as glycogen. If glycogen reserves are full, it will be turned into adipose. That is, if i remember correctly :)

I can look it up in detail if you are interested Anaboliking, but I need to get a few beers first before i start going through my old textbooks. :)

Ok, i looked it up.

"If carbohydrates are not adequate, protein can convert to carbohydrates via gluconeogenesis "

So it has nothing to do with the absorption rate of protein. This happens when theres a lack of carbs for energy. No big deal cause we all know by now to take carbs with our pwo shake, right?

I found this:

It is also very interesting to note that whey increases anabolism quickly and to a large extent due to it's fast absorption and high rate of digestion however, these effects are very short lived. It has been shown that whey protein causes amino acid concentrations in the blood to rise rapidly however at the same rate increased oxidation (the use of the amino acids for energy) and so a steady state metabolism was created and no change in overall protein balance took place. Whey is also out of the blood stream very fast, sometimes within fifteen minutes, making it a poor anti catabolic. Some studies have even shown that two hours after taking whey that the blood serum level of amino acids had actually dropped below normal. This debate has recently given rise to much of whey's bad press recently especially to protein sources of casein variety which are absorbed much slower and have great anti-catabolic properties. From this argument it has arisen in some theories that protein sources, especially whey should be combined. It should be noted that whey protein concentrate enters the system a little slower than isolate but is not of as high a quality protein nor is it filtered as much and so can contain higher levels of lactose, fat and possibly cholesterol.

good post grafix

pwo I always choose the fastest absorbing protein
any other time i'm not really picky

if you want to slow absorption, try substitute water for milk

That is incredibly interesting. I didn't realize your body could turn proteins into carbs. Gives a lot more merit to consuming shitloads of carbs pwo.

ITs always good to mix protein source anyway, because every protein has a different concentration of (essential) amino acids

That is incredibly interesting. I didn't realize your body could turn proteins into carbs.

Not only that, but I talked with another guy in my gym who is a nutritionist and he told me that this gluconeogenesis process(turning P into C) is actualy very toxic for the body which is why these protein only diets are dangerous. You should always have a steady supply of carbs in the body even if on a cut otherwise your body will simply start turning protein into carbs at a great deal of cost to your liver.

Last edited:
Use the fastest absorbing proteins before an even and immediately after and within a 3 hr window from finish.

You want a slow protein when you wake and at bed.

Some of these guys are so geared up they eat 700 plus gms a day of supplemented protein. When they hit the need a kidney list on craigslist they will be happy

Back