Why use Benzyl Alcohol and Benzoate?

Clamp

Why do we use these specific chemicals when homebrewing? Why is it that we don't use moonshine to sterilize our gear?

Ok so I'm sure you are joking but just in case....There are likely several alternative solvents that are safe to be injected IM but the medical profession has come a long way since using drinking alcohol for any medical purposes. If the BB and BA are the medical professions solvent of choice then it is likely because they (doctors and compounding pharmacists) have found that these solvents not only work but have the fewest amount of reactions among users and that's plenty good enough for me.
If you decide to buck the system and use some non-common solvents then let us know how it goes? but really what's the point? Is your health worth the risk for saving a couple of $'s??

FYI neither BB nor BA sterilize your gear...BB is the solvent and BA keeps new bacteria from forming in the brew but filtering is what actually sterilizes your gear. Then your gear is only as sterile as your vial, stopper, media bottle, etc. so I highly recommend use of a clean room, auto clave or pressure cooker, mask, gloves, etc. Just my $.02 but hey what do I know?

Last edited:
Back