1st Post in Training Section - Any Advice Would Be Much Appreciated...

AI

I consider this my "Modified Mentzer Workout"

How's it going? I'm looking for some advice on my workout. Just a precursor.. I started working out again around Aug 1. I lost 15lbs and my strength has gone up almost every time I hit the gym.. Adding 1 or 2 reps on almost every exercise (sometimes significantly more).

I just want to see if you notice anything obvious that I'm doing wrong...

On most of my exercises I do the first set as 15 reps at about half weight to warm up, then I do the max weight I can do at 6-12 reps till failure.

When I go over 12 reps, I increase the weight the next week.

I have a lot of joint issues from wrestling and football and this seems to be working pretty well for me, both in strength and keeping me healthy.

I work out in the morning, so I try to get myself warmed up. I do 12 min of the arc trainer before and 12 min after each workout.

I try to do my shoulders 1st each workout b/c they're the main issue I have. I want to get them warmed up, before I do anything. I can't bench or do certain exercises that hurt my shoulders.

I train weights Mon, Tue, Thu Fri and cardio Mon-Fri

34 y/o
17% BF
218lbs
5'9''

DAY 1

Chest, Tri's, Lower Back

DB Raise - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup
Rear Delt Fly Machine - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Dip Machine - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Tri Ext Machine - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Chest Fly Machine - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Hyperextensions - 2 sets of 8-12
Sit Up Bench - 1 set till failure

DAY 2

Legs

Leg Ext - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Leg Curls - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Leg In - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Leg Out - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Leg Press - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Roman Situps - 1 set till failure

DAY 3

Cardio 24 minutes

DAY 4

Neck, Calves, Forearms

Neck Pull Head Strap - 1 set till failure
Neck Push DB - 1 set till failure
Neck Right DB - 1 set till failure
Neck Left DB - 1 set till failure
Calf Raise on Leg Press - 2 sets till failure
Forearm Stick Roll - Roll the stick up 3 times forward and backwards.. Nice pump

DAY 5

Shoulders, Back, Bi's (For the weekend pump.. ha)

DB Raise - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Low Row - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Tbar Row - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Back Row Machine - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
DB Curls - 1 set of 15 half weight for warmup | 1 set of 8-12 full capacity
Sit Up Bench - 1 set till failure

Thanks for any help on this..

Last edited:
First off im no expert but first thing i can see wrong is you dont have your basic heavy compound lifts (bench, incline bench, squats, deadlifts)

obviously you said you cant do bench because of your shoulders so an alternative is fine for that, but squats and deadlifts are vital for your routine and a great physique

Hey Zoogy, thanks for the input. I wish I could do squats and deadlifts. My body is banged up from sports. I was squatting by myself 1 day a few years back and felt one of my discs slip. It was on the 14th rep of 385 (Didn't want to stop on 13... I stopped doing that btw.. lol) Sucks. So that took out squats and deadlifts.. Bench is out b/c of shoulders..

I'm trying to figure out if 1 set warmup then 1 set to failure is an issue or if the order of my routine is cool, or if I should be doing more on day 3, etc..

I haven't tried squat or dead lift in forever, so maybe I'll give it a shot w/ light weight and see how it goes..

Thanks again for the response.. I appreciate it.

Ahh i see

well your training is dependant on what your goal is that you want to reach

If youre looking to put on some size it would be better to try lower reps and a few extra sets

as for cardio im not much of an expert id say 24 minutes sounds solid enough again depending on your goals and also depending on intensity

...hope that post was a bit more helpful haha :S

Ha thanks.. I always wonder about the number of sets.. I've been doing low sets till failure for a long time and they always make me stronger.. Not sure what the benefits are of going more sets. I'll have to research it.. Thanks for the post..

Shoulders on me too rarely can I use barbell but can still do dumbbell on chest can you? I can't do dips anymore either from my shoulders. Dead lifts rarely bad back I use a bench for bent over rolls now and have to do seated presses. I can still do in front barbell squats behind back sucks hurts or sumo squats. There's a way around everything bro think rocky 4

Back