3J"s Reverse Pyramid Training Philosophy

Quality over quantity.... Give it a shot and you will see how great a workout routine it is

Did it take a long time to finish the training ?

Arm day seemed like the longest day. I'm used to 1 HR workouts to, but I'be been getting a better pump in this work out in about 40 to 45 minutes. I am really focusing on form not amount of weight. Controlled smooth movements. It is working for me so far.

I'm an older lifter and have tried every routine known to man. I started 3J's reverse pyramid two weeks ago. At first I was pretty skeptical about a warm up set to failure, BUT if you can check your ego at the door, and concentrate on strictly form, well all I can say is DAMN.... I've not been sore in years, but the first week of following this protocol, man I was sore from my head to my toes. Now I'm having 3J set up a carb cycling diet plan for me, (to cut some of this fat off my fat ass)and am extremely excited to incorporate this to my workout regimen.... I've done a few, ok a lot of cycles, but wanting to get to single BF, before dating TREN. Brother 3J is going to get me there

Reactions: 3J
I'm an older lifter and have tried every routine known to man. I started 3J's reverse pyramid two weeks ago. At first I was pretty skeptical about a warm up set to failure, BUT if you can check your ego at the door, and concentrate on strictly form, well all I can say is DAMN.... I've not been sore in years, but the first week of following this protocol, man I was sore from my head to my toes. Now I'm having 3J set up a carb cycling diet plan for me, (to cut some of this fat off my fat ass)and am extremely excited to incorporate this to my workout regimen.... I've done a few, ok a lot of cycles, but wanting to get to single BF, before dating TREN. Brother 3J is going to get me there

Same for me. I started this kind of training on monday. And I love it !!! Like you I started a carb cycling diet with 3J. Hope it will be the best part of my life :)

I've been doing RPT for a couple months now albeit a different split and I absolutely love it. I've always heard that starting with the high weight set allows you to activate more muscle fiber for the lower weight sets. Whether that is true or not I can definitely feel more of a pull on the lower weight sets.

Im on this workout for the last month and its going well. I use a hr monitor to time my rests between sets and start my next set when my hr drops back to around 125'ish. Doing it like this, i finish all workouts in about 50 minutes, except arm day which may go 1:15 because I add in additional forearm work. Then a little cardio after.... Im golden.

4 questions:
What day would be best to add an exercise like face pulls for my rear delts?

What day for cardio? (If so once on rest day possibly)

Is it fine to do 2-3 sets of cable crunches like once a week?

What exercise can I replace decline bench and skull crushers with? (Decline destroys my right shoulder and skull crushers destroy my elbows, I go to the physical therapist every2 weeks now)

hey 3j, I'm trying to do a LEAN bulk, should i follow this for 3 week and change the workouts a lil bit but keep the rep and sets as they are or do the same workout thru out the Whole cycle?
* i know diet is what depends on the gains but i just wanted to know a bit about the workout*

hey 3j, I'm trying to do a LEAN bulk, should i follow this for 3 week and change the workouts a lil bit but keep the rep and sets as they are or do the same workout thru out the Whole cycle?
* i know diet is what depends on the gains but i just wanted to know a bit about the workout*

this system works just fine for bulks brother

I've been using a similar routine and it's worked VERY well. Heavy weight followed by a drop set is likely my favorite part of every muscle group sans legs !

So I set up my spreadsheet to log my weights on and was/am planning to start this next week, but I need input from users. My chest workout is incline, flat, then decline all with dumbbells and 3 sets of 10. I have some rear delt pain when I do my incline so I grab 40 lb dumbbells and do a slow set of ten warmups focusing on the stretch.

Now this workout calls for 15 warmups to failure. I'm nkt a strong guy but 15 to failure would most likely be 85 lb dumbbells. That to me us not a warmup and would kill my shoulder. Should I still do a little 40 lb stretch out prior to the warmup?

Reading the workout again, it doesn't start with incline. So starting with flat would probably stretch it enough. Then by the time I got to incline I would be fatigued enough it wouldn't be anywhere near 85 lb dumbbells.

Just so I don't come across as a person who talks crap or embellishes, I wanted to correct the above post. Today was my heavy chest day. I grabbed the 85 dumbbells, like I do every heavy chest day, and tried to knock out the easy 15 I thought I'd do. NAH!!! Didn't happen. 10 was failure followed by 8, then 6 all to failure. Then I moved on to my decline and incline, all with heavy dumbbells and all to failure at under 10 reps.

I ha e a strange workout but my regular weight chest workout is with 70's. I start with incline, flat, then decline. 3 sets of ten and only time I hit failure is maybe the last 2 sets of decline. I thought I'd at least be able to throw up 85's for 15 at least once. Oh well. Ego will definitely get checked at the door next week when I start this workout. Plus, I'm strong out the gate but with the small amount of rest between sets, I may be doing 15's by the time I get to decline.

3J, I've been doing your routine for about a month now and I love the way it feels, but I def haven't added much strength? I had to check my ego at the door when I first started because the rest periods weren't long enough for me to recover fully. I should add that I've never used short rest periods so my muscles def aren't conditioned for it. Is the program geared more towards hypertrophy, strength or is it a happy medium of both?

Never mind I answered my own stupid question by rereading everything again.....it takes me a bit to grasp what I read!

3J, I've been doing your routine for about a month now and I love the way it feels, but I def haven't added much strength? I had to check my ego at the door when I first started because the rest periods weren't long enough for me to recover fully. I should add that I've never used short rest periods so my muscles def aren't conditioned for it. Is the program geared more towards hypertrophy, strength or is it a happy medium of both?

are you keeping a log of your weights??

remember this is a type of training that i love.. but its not a perfect fit for everyone.. some people need something different.. this isnt the "perfect training routine" for everyone to use.. its just a good one on a broad spectrum

Yes I'm keeping track of my weights with that app I wrote about on the other thread. I am starting to see small increases in weight, but haven't noticed much in the way of size but I've been doing this along time and I never seem to notice the gain in size but everyone else does. Funny how most of us have anorexia in reverse!! I'm going to stay with this for 12 weeks and see how it goes. I do add an exercise or 2 into most of the workouts but that's just for weak areas.

Back