3js training program questions.. Off cycle/on cycle

changeyourlife

Okay so I have a few questions on this program because I've been looking for a good on cycle workout routine..

1 - Was this written more for on cycle or off? Or does it even really matter..

2- Is this going to yield good strength gains?? What about size? I'm guessing this is more of a hypertrophy routine but strength is very important for me!

3 - Is it okay for me to just follow the example he wrote out below?? I think he wrote this as just a guide but it should be fine to run right??

4 - How long should these workouts last?? They seem like they would be pretty short since he recommends 1 minutes rests in between exercises and 1 1/2 for squats and deads..

Routine below!

Day 1 Chest

Flat bench press 15, 4, 6, 8, 20

Incline bench press 15, 4, 8, 8, 20

Decline bench press 15, 4, 8, 8, 20

Flat bench flys 20, 20, 20

Day 2 Back

Bent over single hand rows 15, 4, 6, 8, 20

Wide grip pull downs 15, 4, 6, 8, 20

Narrow grip rows 15, 4, 6, 8, 20

Dead lifts 15, 4, 6, 8

Day 3 Shoulders

Military press 15, 4, 8, 8, 20

Side lateral raises 15, 4, 8, 8, 20

Front lateral raises 15, 4, 8, 8, 20

Shrugs 20, 15, 20

Day 4 Legs

Squats 15, 4, 6, 8

Leg extensions 15, 4, 6, 8

Leg curls 15, 4, 6, 8

Calf raises 20, 20, 20

Day 5 Arms

Bicepss

Dumbbell bicep curls 15, 4, 6, 8

Dumbbell hammer curls 15, 4, 6, 8

Ez bar bicep curls 15, 4, 6, 8

Straight bar cable system curls reverse pyramid super set:

Find the highest weight your can do 4 reps at. That is your starting point. Work your way down in weight on the cable machine doing 4 reps per set without any rest in between. Be sure to give yourself 1 min rest from your last exercise. Below is an example of it starting at 200lbs:

200×4

180×4

160×4

140×4

120×4

100×4

80×4

60×4

40x as many as you can

Triceps

Skull crushers 15, 4, 6, 8

Machine tricep exercise 15, 4, 6, 8 OR overhead tricep extensions (both hands using a dumbbell) 15, 4, 6, 8

Cable system Y rope tricep pull downs 15, 4, 6, 8

Cable system Y rope tricep reverse pyramid superset (yes, it is the same exercise as before, 1 min rest in between)

Find the highest weight your can do 4 reps at. That is your starting point. Work your way down in weight on the cable machine doing 4 reps per set without any rest in between. Be sure to give yourself 1 min rest from your last exercise. Below is an example of it starting at 200 lbs:

200 x 4

180 x 4

160 x 4

140 x 4

120 x 4

100 x 4

80 x 4

60 x 4

40 x as many as you can

Okay so I have a few questions on this program because I've been looking for a good on cycle workout routine..

1 - Was this written more for on cycle or off? Or does it even really matter..

2- Is this going to yield good strength gains?? What about size? I'm guessing this is more of a hypertrophy routine but strength is very important for me!

3 - Is it okay for me to just follow the example he wrote out below?? I think he wrote this as just a guide but it should be fine to run right??

4 - How long should these workouts last?? They seem like they would be pretty short since he recommends 1 minutes rests in between exercises and 1 1/2 for squats and deads..

1/ both, doesn't really matter

2/ the whole idea of the reverse pyramid is so you can punch out some heavy weight on that 2nd, heavy set. as well, listen to your body, every workout should be different as you adjust to what is sore, what's feeling good on the day, what isn't yet sore and needs to be worked harder etc

3/ it's a guide and can be followed as is written. personally, I used it for a bit (once) but it's only 1/100 different ways you can work out. you may not find this way is for you. you may wish to use different machines. some days you may want to go crazy and do 12 incline bench sets, then can't do other stuff. you may want to do legs in morn and back in the afternoon on Monday....etc etc

4/ depends on what you're doing and how closely you're following his template. If you are....45 mins should be a good indicator. However, slow twitch muscle fibres generally need to be rested for longer periods, so when training calves and hamstrings I rest for 2-3 minutes. Dead lifting and squatting the same. No need to rush the heavy compound movements, we aren't doing crossfit.

All in all, I'd try it and see if it works. Evaluate if it does, then keep going. If not, try something new. However, reverse pyramid is a nice approach some days, as is pyramids, pause reps, multiple drop sets, failure sets or focusing on concentric parts of the range of motion. Lots of options mate, need to know how your body responds!

here is the rule of thumb guys.. there are many many philosophies out there... find the ones that work for you

my reverse pyramid setup is one that i statistically notice works well for my clients, esp coupled with a carb cycle diet..

that doesn't mean its the tell all say all of workout routines.. you should be mixing up your routines regularly anyways..

good luck!

here is the rule of thumb guys.. there are many many philosophies out there... find the ones that work for you

my reverse pyramid setup is one that i statistically notice works well for my clients, esp coupled with a carb cycle diet..

that doesn't mean its the tell all say all of workout routines.. you should be mixing up your routines regularly anyways..

good luck!

Could just do different exercises while using the same controlled reps, rest periods, and core compound movements that the Reverse Pyramid Routine uses.

Back