500 club!!

trophytaker

been there,done that!
i decided to try and hit 500 this yesr,but i was trying to do it at 200lbs.my normal weight is 205 give or take,so i havent been hitting legs at all this month and not really eating alot.i figured that it would be more of a challange doing it at 200 than me being 210-220.well today i did it at 199.first time in my 20 years of working out that i did 500lbs,and also have tennis elbow at that.my elbow dosent hurt just has fluid on it,looks like poppey elbow...lol.well im going to start eating better and get my weight back up now and see what i can hit from there...just thought i would share..

i decided to try and hit 500 this yesr,but i was trying to do it at 200lbs.my normal weight is 205 give or take,so i havent been hitting legs at all this month and not really eating alot.i figured that it would be more of a challange doing it at 200 than me being 210-220.well today i did it at 199.first time in my 20 years of working out that i did 500lbs,and also have tennis elbow at that.my elbow dosent hurt just has fluid on it,looks like poppey elbow...lol.well im going to start eating better and get my weight back up now and see what i can hit from there...just thought i would share..

Congrats! Reading the topic I was thinking 500??? I'd like 50 this year if possible then realized you were talking weight. :cool:

Grats man! 500lbs is certainly no joke and deserves respect, especially at 199lbs body weight! I can't bench 500 anymore, but I'm pretty sure I can toss that up on the pec deck, can I be in the cool club too? :(

Grats man! 500lbs is certainly no joke and deserves respect, especially at 199lbs body weight! I can't bench 500 anymore, but I'm pretty sure I can toss that up on the pec deck, can I be in the cool club too? :(

You live under water. If you calculate the amount of resistance added by the water pressure I'm sure you will be over 500.

thanks man,there is a black guy in the gym and has been in the gym all his life,i seen him hit 735 a coulpe mounths ago and thats when i got the idea that i want to try and go up on the bench ,even being that i am now 38 i feel stronger than i ever have.so my age is not slowing me down yet.and i have always been strong on the bench,but this is the first year that i have ever been really trying to push that much weight in a long time.

You live under water. If you calculate the amount of resistance added by the water pressure I'm sure you will be over 500.
Hahaha. Good point! :D
thanks man,there is a black guy in the gym and has been in the gym all his life,i seen him hit 735 a coulpe mounths ago and thats when i got the idea that i want to try and go up on the bench ,even being that i am now 38 i feel stronger than i ever have.so my age is not slowing me down yet.and i have always been strong on the bench,but this is the first year that i have ever been really trying to push that much weight in a long time.
Damn, 735 is INSANE! It's always awesome when we meet and beat our goals. Just be careful with those tendons/ligaments man, I've seen a pec tear happen - it's not pretty! I'm sure you're safe, but there's definitely an amount of respect needed when those plates of steel start stacking past 4 on each side. How tall are you out of curiosity?

6 ft with shoes...lol

Tall too! Have you been working your triceps a lot as well? I'm a bit taller than you (6'7"), but find bench to be my weakest lift as it relies so heavily on my triceps as we have a slightly longer range of motion in that lift.

That 735 must have been in a shirt? No hate against shirts - I compete multiply myself. I watched Eric Spoto hit the world record 722 raw bench over the weekends. Which broke mendelsons 715 that had held for around 8 years. If he can bench 735 raw get him to compete.

Props to you. 500 bench is no joke.

at 45 y/o, I can only DREAM of pressing that much...my old joints couldn't take it, I think....even with a slow progression. I have too many aches and pains as it is already :) That said, i DID get 460 up for a 2 reps last week.... :)

Tall too! Have you been working your triceps a lot as well? I'm a bit taller than you (6'7"), but find bench to be my weakest lift as it relies so heavily on my triceps as we have a slightly longer range of motion in that lift.

come on hw!...widen that grip, and drop those elbows...take some of the strain off of your anterior delt and triceps, and see what those pecs can do!!! ;)

Great job man! 500lb bench is a long life goal of mine, I just did 405 for the first time at 197lbs. Keep it up man, the sky is the limit.

come on hw!...widen that grip, and drop those elbows...take some of the strain off of your anterior delt and triceps, and see what those pecs can do!!! ;)

Haha, I do have a pretty crazy wide grip, but those tris SCREAM at me "STOPPPP!!!" when I get up there in weight. It's a lot like squats, too narrow of a stance or if I go too close to parallel (well, before I had knee surgeries) I was in trouble. There's just a different geometry involved when you have a big wingspan. :p This is coming from a guy that used to grow so fast I'd have bloody shirts as my stretch marks would tear open back in the day. ;)

i do grip wide,my back is my best build ,i have a strong and built back from genetics,and i have been hitting my tri pretty hard this year and it has help alot,but i also have been hitting my back as well hard.i also bench with my head and legs up when benching 135,225,315 it puts all the weight on your chest,you dont have your head and legs to support you.that black guy told me years ago that it will help your bench by 30% and it has.....try it sometime and you will see,it really helps out alot.

Congratulation bro, thats alot of weight, at first i thought its a squat or a deadlift but benching 500 is insane.
Could you share your routine with us? how many sets, reps, etc? how many times a week you bench? Or do you follow any powerlifting program.

Thanks

Last edited:
i do grip wide,my back is my best build ,i have a strong and built back from genetics,and i have been hitting my tri pretty hard this year and it has help alot,but i also have been hitting my back as well hard.i also bench with my head and legs up when benching 135,225,315 it puts all the weight on your chest,you dont have your head and legs to support you.that black guy told me years ago that it will help your bench by 30% and it has.....try it sometime and you will see,it really helps out alot.

Interesting, you lift your head or have it on a pillow? I've done the legs on the bench trick and can agree that it does force you to focus on your chest as you don't have that anchor pulling you down. Thanks for the input man, I feel the same way about my back - and would love to put up 10 plates again someday in the near future. :D

no i dont have a pillow....lol...i just hold my head up,kinda like my chin hits my cheast type of thing..i do got to admit though when going heavy like 405,465,500 i dont even think about trying that.when i do that much weight i always seem to lift my lower back off the bench a little.you will see a difference in a mounth in your bench if you try it the way im saying,it will make your bench go up pretty quick.......its no joke.

Last edited:
Back