Anti-Estrogenic Effects of Marijuana Smoke

Loquito_Angelito

gangstr rap made me do it
I was always under impression tha smokin the dope lowred T and raised estrogen and in those susseptable would develope gyno? , cam cross this article and my understanding is it says other wise bout the estrogen raising? therefore not being a gyno antagonist?? unless i just donot understand it corectly.. neway fouund it interesting.. would like 2 what every1s thots on this r...

Marijuana (cannabis sativa) is one of the most frequently abused drugs in korea second only to methamphetamine. it has been traditionally cultivated to produce hemp clothes and grows naturally in some districts. therefore it has become the drug first abused for recreational purposes in korea. in oriental medicinecannabis seeds without the skin which do not have any hallucinogenic compounds have been used to relieve constipation. usually a green and or brown mix of flowerrs stems, seeds and leaves of the hemp plant is smoked to induce the hallucinogenic effects. marijuana contains more than 400 compounds, among which the terpene chemicals unique to the plant genus Cannabis are called cannabinoids. the main cannabinoids are tetrahydrocannabinol (thc) cannabidiol (cbd) and cannabinol (cbn) with thc being the most potent psychoactive compound in marijuana. the hallucinogenic action of cannabinoids is mainly mediated by two cannabinicid receptors in the central nervous system and certain peripheral tissues. it is know that the chronic use of marijuana can have adverse effects on the endocrine and reproductive systems. in particular studies with laboratory animals and retrospective studies on women who had abused marijuana revealed a decrease in the level of sex hormones and a disruption of ovulation. in addition cannabinoids disturb the sexual maturation of pre-pubertal females. the anti-estrogenic effects of marijuana use is similar to that of cigarette smoking. besides cannabinoids, marijuana smoke contains various pyrogenic products including polycylic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH's) that are similar to those contained in tobacco smoke including naphthalene, 1-methyl naphthalene, 2-methyl naphthalene, benzo(a)anthracene, and benzo(a)pyrene, but at greater amounts than in tobacco.

The antiestrogenic effects of marijuana smoke condensate (MSC) and three major cannab-inoids, i.e., Δ9-Metrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD), and cannabinol (CBN), were evaluated usingin vitro bioassays,viz., the human breast cancer cell proliferation assay, the recombinant human estrogen receptor (ER) competitive binding assay, and the reporter gene assay. The inhibitory effects on estrogen were also examined using the ethoxyresorufin-O-deethylase (EROD) assay, the aromatase assay, and the 17β-estradiol (E2) metabolism assay. The results showed that MSC induced the antiestrogenic effectvia the ER-mediated pathway, while THC, CBD, and CBN did not have any antiestrogenic activity. This suggests that the combined effects of the marijuana smoke components are responsible for the antiestrogenicity of marijuana use. In addition, MSC induced the CYP1A activity and the E2 metabolism, but inhibited the aromatase activity, suggesting that the antiestrogenic activity of MSC is also related to the indirect ER-dependent pathway, as a result of the depletion of thein situ E2 level available to bind to the ER. In conclusion, pyrogenic products including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the non-polar fraction, which is the most biologically active fraction among the seven fractions of MSC, might be responsible for the antiestrogenic effect.

Back