bench help!

mass rookie

why does bench press incline decline or DB presses feel more like arms and shoulder work. I know they are stableliser's but never feels like chest is the target.

mass rookie said:
why does bench press incline decline or DB presses feel more like arms and shoulder work. I know they are stableliser's but never feels like chest is the target.

what kinda grip you using? what speed? elbow position? bla bla bla

How exactly do you get your chest up, or what do you mean?

I get plenty of chest action on a decline bench, incline not so much. Very delt intensive.

If i uderstand correctly you are using your back as a "cheater" when lifting. i see people do it all the time. Next time your at the gym try putting your feet flat on the edge of the bench ( with your heels right up next to your butt) and see how that goes.

Makes sure you have a spotter, the first time you do this you can get wobbly.

hope that helps.

enigma94 said:
If i uderstand correctly you are using your back as a "cheater" when lifting. i see people do it all the time. Next time your at the gym try putting your feet flat on the edge of the bench ( with your heels right up next to your butt) and see how that goes.

hope that helps.

nothing like benching when you are unstable to work the pecs better. =0l

mass rookie said:
by arching my back.

So, the lower portion of your ribcage and your stomach. You can get some arch out of the upper portion of the back by pushing your traps into the bench, setting up by arching on the head etc, but I dont see anyone getting their chest "up" without sitting up off the bench.

enigma94 said:

Yes sir, because being "wobbly" with 455 on the bar is a great idea. Works great for kids too.

Hmm feet on the bench, the perfect way to fuck up my back. Thanks for the advice! I didn't have enough issues as it is, I want to feel like I've been through WWIII at a POW camp. Now I just need to make up some fake scars, then I can tell everyone I'm from the future to tell them about WWIII and my battles in the north. But really it came from bench pressing incorrectly, they'll never know.

enigma94 said:

hope that helps.

Gentleman, this is the 52 year old middle school gym teacher approach to benching, best to be avoided.

You should have a stable base when bench pressing, both feet should be flat on the floor. Your stability comes from your feet, your ass, and your traps upper back. IMO, that is why you are more stable when you arch, because you are really forcing those parts onto the bench. You don't have to shorten the stroke as much as say, Mule does, or Gene, or Lattimer, but an arch is a good thing. The cheater comment comes from clowns in the gym who have no clue what they are talking about, or doing. Usually 21 year old kids with a 215 max.

ehh hemm,

why does bench work feel more like upper arm work than chest ? I do arch back, which someone said is good. another said feet on bencg is good too. dilemma dilemma. can you have feet on bench and arch back as well or ?

after about the 10th post I kinda lost any advice given. so whats recommended.

thank you.

when you bench, the delts, tris and pecs get hit. some guys use more or less of one group but they all three get hit. try some db presses on one of those big ass balls. try some benching with a cambered bar if you got one. use alternate grips on benching. try some paused benching.

pullinbig said:
you think enigma94 got the point?

Jesus H christ. I went through a similar experience as him and when i broght my feet up ( at my gym they have a step halfway up on the end of your bench for your feet) I could feel it in my chest more. I merely told him to put them on the bench because some benches dont have the footrest. I never intended on him lifting 455lbs seeing as he wasnt getting a good burn in his chest i assumed he wasnt going to be lifting that much. so chill out guys, no need to get your panties in a bunch over a "opinion".

jcp2 said:
Gentleman, this is the 52 year old middle school gym teacher approach to benching, best to be avoided.

You should have a stable base when bench pressing, both feet should be flat on the floor. Your stability comes from your feet, your ass, and your traps upper back. IMO, that is why you are more stable when you arch, because you are really forcing those parts onto the bench. You don't have to shorten the stroke as much as say, Mule does, or Gene, or Lattimer, but an arch is a good thing. The cheater comment comes from clowns in the gym who have no clue what they are talking about, or doing. Usually 21 year old kids with a 215 max.

WTF why when you guys pull out the insults do you always have to pick my weights?!?! I weigh 150 and bench 215... please start insluting people who bench 205 and weight 145, thanks.

Back