Bench shirt question

Mudge

Community Veteran
Ok, I'm thinking of taking the plunge finally. Something interesting to me is running across a guy who added about 85 pounds to his press with a simple entry level Standard Blast Inzer. The Heavy Duty Blast though claims more padding and doesn't cost more, would either of these be a good beginner shirt?

Or would an open back be better, in terms of not whining about comfort or anything? Or more importantly really getting in and out of.

Last edited:
Mudge said:
Ok, I'm thinking of taking the plunge finally. Something interesting to me is running across a guy who added about 85 pounds to his press with a simple entry level Standard Blast Inzer. The Heavy Duty Blast though claims more padding and doesn't cost more, would either of these be a good beginner shirt?

Or would an open back be better, in terms of not whining about comfort or anything? Or more importantly really getting in and out of.
they are new and just getting tested but for the money the titan fury seems to be a stronger shirt than the blast or hd blast . the fury is closed back but the back of the shirt is a different material and extra stretchy so its comfortable to wear between sets .
i like a open back shirt the best buy the fury is a nice compromise.

i bought an inzer shirt years ago just to see how it felt benchin with it, after 30 minutes of strugglin tryin to get it on, i threw the damn thing away in a rage and never tried one on again. just my personal experience with them :)

Sensei Miagi said:
i bought an inzer shirt years ago just to see how it felt benchin with it, after 30 minutes of strugglin tryin to get it on, i threw the damn thing away in a rage and never tried one on again. just my personal experience with them :)
if you can put on a closed back bench shirt by yourself its to loose .;)

can somebody explain to me the purpose of the bench press shirt? isn't that cheating? and the guy in that link looks like he's lifting w/his pelvis ....aka humpin' the ceiling...

One guy said it took 25 minutes to put it on himself or 10 minutes with two helpers. Would the Titain be easier since it has a flexi-back? Kind of like a half assed open back shirt?

a word of advise mudge. make sure you got three spotters who know what they are doing. you may get crushed. these shirts are very fickle and you need to have someone show you the ropes. first time you wear it the bar is gonna fly up and go straight toeards you throat. i have been saved several times by knowledgable and alert spotters.

its a different ball game all together. i have seen some guys who bench less in a shirt because they cannot hit the groove.

you not gonna be able to put one on and bench by yourself. trust me on this one.

if you not competing may i ask why you want to try one? its kinda like buying a saddlle with no horse having a shirt and not competing.

be carefull

I suppose because I do worry about the shoulders a bit. I do my warmups and with form I haven't had shoulder problems for some time now, but I'm just underneath 400 and wondered if this would help me keep on going injury free.

I think at my height I could never be competitive until I weighed about what you do, my bench is about 1.6 x my bodyweight, not that impressive.

As of now I have only one spotter/training partner.

Last edited:
if youy wanted to compete a 400 raw bench would be competeive if you learned how to use a shirt. a dbl denim open back if used correctly can put 100-200lbs on YOUR bench. that is if you learn the technique and have some quality folks around you. i have been blessed to have learned from the very best PLing has to offer.

now for BBing type stuff the shirt will limit chest and delt develpment as far as bench goes. it wiill give you a lot of tri strength. 75% of denim or canvas benching is tris. thats why we do a lot of rack and board work. the new style of benching is not a bench at all for shirted benchers. thats why thre numbers have gone crazy as of late. 2 years ago 700lb bench was incredible. now the world record is 965. the little guys are hittin 6s and 7s.

also mudge they have weight claases in PLing so you compete against guys your size.

Sure, I can compete against a guy that is 5'5" 245 and get smashed to hell and back :laugh4: I'm 6'2" so that is working against me, if I wanted to compete at 220 or something I'd be a f#cking stick.

Mudge said:
Sure, I can compete against a guy that is 5'5" 245 and get smashed to hell and back :laugh4: I'm 6'2" so that is working against me, if I wanted to compete at 220 or something I'd be a f#cking stick.
actually 275 is one of the easier heavy classes most are either 308 and up or under the 242 mark as far as big benchers go . theres no rule that says you have to compete to use equipment , ronnie coleman uses powerlifting suits sometimes and he doesnt compete as a powerlifter .useing them several times when you first get one to get the feel for them and then 3-5 times a year to maxx out isnt going to hurt your bb development and to be honest if anything it would help it in my opinion everyone goes through a slump where your just going through the motions and not as serious as we would like and throwing on the suit occasionally spices things up and can be fun , and lifting weight far above your normal capacity can put a fire in your belly to train hard ;)
plan b is to get used to the shirt and do a few local gym meets a year . theres probably not going to be any monster benchers there so your bench would at least be respectable if not a win if you get used to useing a shirt and can get plenty out of it . and winning a contest can put fire in your belly when you get back to the gym as well .
pb is right the groove in a bench shirt is much different and it can come off the chest so fast it will surprise you , the first time or 2 it wouldnt hurt to grab a extra spotter or 2 .

Yeah honestly I dont plan to stand around in my undees but I could see myself doing some PL meets indeed. I could do 275 pretty easily, I came down from 268 so I can eat my way there for sure, food plus some good n tight fina would do me quite nicely.

Mudge said:
Yeah honestly I dont plan to stand around in my undees but I could see myself doing some PL meets indeed. I could do 275 pretty easily, I came down from 268 so I can eat my way there for sure, food plus some good n tight fina would do me quite nicely.
atta boy , walk away from the light and come over to the dark side :D
jcp is doing it as we speak and hes loving it .

you only have to weigh 243 to compete in the 275s.

as usual dawg made a good comment on "fire in the belly".

competing or just hitting prs is a very motivating factor to development.

i hate it when he's right all the time. hate it.

pullinbig said:
you only have to weigh 243 to compete in the 275s.

as usual dawg made a good comment on "fire in the belly".

competing or just hitting prs is a very motivating factor to development.

i hate it when he's right all the time. hate it.
:D
nah PB you knew that to , i just thought of it first .
way to may people on these boards forget that this is a hobby and not how we make our living with the exception of probably less than 1% of the people here . let me tell you a secret , hobbies are supposed to be F U N
if you dont make a living at this and your not having fun then either get you head out of your ass or find a new hobby ;)
switching things up like trying bench shirts or squat suits can spice things up and make you look forward to going to the gym . ive used a bench shirt a time or 2 and i still start foaming at the mouth at least a day before bench day if im due to shirt up , especially if its been a while since i used it .
hell if a guy as old and grumpy as me can have fun at this then rest of you damn sure should be able to ;)

Back