Benzyl alcohol reacting with Iso Propyl Alcohol?

stay*anabolic

Hello Guys.

I'm new to the forum but please excuse the newbie factor as I'm in dire need of assistance.

I'm home brewing on a large scale and have used IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol) to rinse my collecting bottle before I attach it for use.. it collects filtered oil from underneath my bottle top filtration units as the plastic ones kept cracking due to the high vacuum pressure of my vacuum pump.. so the glass ones are fine but when I'm filtering nandrolone decanoate I'm getting white cloudy deposits in my filterate.. I'm not getting it with any other compound?? Is it my B.A reacting with the IPA?

Also how many litres do you think can be effectively filtered using a nylon membrane.. like a Nalgene nylon complete filter unit(500ml media chamber)?

All comments are much appreciated.

Your Brother in Need.

Stay*Anabolic! :)

first off, welcome.

second, I'd be careful using terms like "large scale" on here. Gives people the paranoia.

third, you will need to let the alcohol completely "burn off" via some heat source for this not to happen. IPA can sit for a while in a glass bottle especially.

Lemme ask, are you using the same media bottle for all your compounds or do you have one designated for each hormone? I have found the latter makes it alot easier to 're-use" without such a thorough clean-up if you designate a bottle for each. Great for storage also.

There may be other factors, but thats what it sounds like to me. Try heating the bottle in the oven for 10-15 minutes to speed up the process.

and do you have a gauge on your pump? If not I would get one. You shouldn't be cracking plastic filters... that means too much vacuum.

Firstly thank you for the welcome and my apologies for any misused terms.

I tried flaming the IPA but there was so much it kept burning and just caused a carbon residue where it kept dripping and fueling the flame.. It's a 1000ml media bottle.. so you recommend just heating in an oven to speed up the drying process.. excellent ;o)

Yes I was cleaning each bottle out for re-use although it did cross my mind to keep using the same one.. but I don't have enough and I haven't yet designated a bottle to each hormone but I've ordered more which should be with me in a few days.. I had to start using them for collecting filtered oil as well due to my cracking plastic media bottles.

And yes I do have an adjustable vacuum pump which pulls up to 25.5 inches of Hg (Mercury) a minute I think.. below is the link.

coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=0706140

I think my oil was filtering too slow so I increased the power.. which caused my plastic media bottle that came with the system to crack.. the rest of the filter is fine.. just the media bottle at the bottom.. it happened like 2/3 times and I was like what the fudge how come I've only filtered 100ml in 3 hours.. obviously the crack caused a decrease in pressure :(

How long should 500ml of oil @ 40 degrees C take? Say it was Nandrolone @ 300mg/ml.. 30-40 mins?? My Test 400 takes freakin ages :(

I know heating the oil up a bit helps filtering but it's a bit of a pain..

Cheers RJH90210 you've cleared up a few things in my head ;o)

Any other comments are most welcomed :laugh4:

well, its kind of a tricky sweet spot you have to find. Has to be warm enough to filter well at 10 hG, but not so hot it blows out the filter. I would play with 50ml of solution to find that spot. Thats prolly why it was taking so long.

Unfortunately upping the vacuum is not the answer. lol No more than 10hG IMO and you should be able to do 500ml of ND in about an hour or so. You have to watch it as the vacuum will drop a bit as the solution decreases in volume. Thats why i used a hand vacuum pump instead. I could always control the vacuum without any trouble. Auto pumps are fine, great actually, but a bit harder to find that sweet spot I spoke of earlier.

Aah ok I see, my vacuum is pulling at like 24.5 hG and I think my oil for one filtration was like over 50 degrees.. And the filters can operate up to 50 degrees.. so I basically blew the filter right? As the oil filtered in like 20 mins.. :flamingma

How long does it take a hand vacuum pump to filter 500ml? I've got Whatman Nylon Zap Cap Membrane filters.. I reckon they could do 1000ml easy, but the upper most limit? 2000ml? :spin:

Another issue I'm having is a pink gunk like residue which I'm sure is only forming with Nandrolone filtration.. I take it this is not "crashing" but something different...? :eek:

Thanks again RJH90210 :wiggle:

not sure about the pink gunk, but you are pulling way too much vacuum.

As for time it takes, I could pull 500ml of LE gear in about 45mins to an hour if all was perfect. Like i said, a hand vacuum MAKES you be more aware of whats going on. But you can still use the auto pump, just have to gauge it properly.

How do you keep the oil at optimum temperature if you pour 500ml in at once? There doesn't seems a feasible way... If I pour a large amount of oil in - it just cools down after the first 10 mins :wallbash:

I'm trying to get a good filtering rate going but if I pour in less oil (say 100ml at a time) it cools down quicker.. and thus become less efficient.. And less volume of oil obviously requires a greater vacuum pull to filter it right?

Can't seem to get it right :redhot:

Oh by the way do you think my mixture has anything to do with it? It's like 50/50 ethyl oleate and grape seed oil with the usual 20% benzyl benzoate, 3% benzy alcohol, and most of my gear is either 300mg/ml or 400mg/ml..

Not to mention the filter is a 0.22 micrometer filter... the finer the filter, the slower the filtering I can safely assume..

Seriously frustrated!!

How do you keep the oil at optimum temperature if you pour 500ml in at once? There doesn't seems a feasible way... If I pour a large amount of oil in - it just cools down after the first 10 mins :wallbash:

I'm trying to get a good filtering rate going but if I pour in less oil (say 100ml at a time) it cools down quicker.. and thus become less efficient.. And less volume of oil obviously requires a greater vacuum pull to filter it right?

Can't seem to get it right :redhot:

it seems that once the filter cover was on, it stayed warm enough for long enough to filter just fine. It may slow as it cools down, but shouldn't be a big issue.

as for the vacuum, i don't think so, I used 10Hg no matter the volume.

What's a quicker option bro - 0.45 PES membrane filter or 0.22 PVDF filter?
And do you personally discourage 0.45?

Thanks RJH90210!

Finally it's all coming together :smash:

:laugh4:

What's a quicker option bro - 0.45 PES membrane filter or 0.22 PVDF filter?
And do you personally discourage 0.45?

Thanks RJH90210!

Finally it's all coming together :smash:

:laugh4:
i know you want to, but try not to think about speed as much as filtration. But obviously .45 would be technically faster, but again, i wouldn't sub quality for speed.

I'm actually glad the spammers bumped this thread.
RJ isn't round these parts much anymore, has bigger and better fish than us now over at TFN, we aren't good enough for his infinite wisdom her anymore :(

J/K RJ broski!!!

Yeah but here is a good thread that will answer alot of guys hangin' round the Chem Studies section questions about bottletop units, vacuums, and membranes.
Notice how the OPer's units are Nylon and he reports having a PINK gunk in his filtrate. Also take note to the amount of EO he is using!!!
Nylon Nalgene units have a red collar on them and what is happening here is what used to happen to me that left me determined to stay away from bottletop units.
RED collar= PINK gunk??? This is because his red plastic collar is MELTING and dripping down into his filtrate and the reason why the brew is taking soooo long to filter is A) needs to be warmer and B) his collar is melting sealing the hole that vacuum is using to draw on shut!!!
As I have said before, You can take EO and BB and drip it on the collars and plastic peices of these units MILLIPORE NALGENE etc and let it sit for a while and BOOM that area will degrade and melt after a while. That is why the highest EO concentration I use is 10%. Also, if I ever make high concentration brew like Deca 300 and Test 400 I simply NEVER use a bottletop to filter it, just plain old Whatmans and high temps like 85 degree C which is almost half of the claimed temp that the filter can handle.

This thread would have been awsome about 4 months or so ago!!!

I'm actually glad the spammers bumped this thread.
RJ isn't round these parts much anymore, has bigger and better fish than us now over at TFN, we aren't good enough for his infinite wisdom her anymore :(

J/K RJ broski!!!

Yeah but here is a good thread that will answer alot of guys hangin' round the Chem Studies section questions about bottletop units, vacuums, and membranes.
Notice how the OPer's units are Nylon and he reports having a PINK gunk in his filtrate. Also take note to the amount of EO he is using!!!
Nylon Nalgene units have a red collar on them and what is happening here is what used to happen to me that left me determined to stay away from bottletop units.
RED collar= PINK gunk??? This is because his red plastic collar is MELTING and dripping down into his filtrate and the reason why the brew is taking soooo long to filter is A) needs to be warmer and B) his collar is melting sealing the hole that vacuum is using to draw on shut!!!
As I have said before, You can take EO and BB and drip it on the collars and plastic peices of these units MILLIPORE NALGENE etc and let it sit for a while and BOOM that area will degrade and melt after a while. That is why the highest EO concentration I use is 10%. Also, if I ever make high concentration brew like Deca 300 and Test 400 I simply NEVER use a bottletop to filter it, just plain old Whatmans and high temps like 85 degree C which is almost half of the claimed temp that the filter can handle.

This thread would have been awsome about 4 months or so ago!!!

LOL ... you have learned a ton in a short time which, if I read your posts correctly, was not long ago? not to hijack this thread but you may get some pm's from me soon just a heads up, hopefully that's cool so that hopefully I can avoid a few stumbling blocks as I move forward with my own experiments :dunno:

Back