Bottle top filter clogging

GymLift

So I ran into a bit of a problem last night and I think the root cause is that the bottle top filter clogged.

Used the Nalgene® MF75™ Sterile Bottle-Top Filters (0.2µm, 500mL)

Attempted filtration of ~450-475mL of testosterone enanthate.

As usual, the first 100mL went quickly. Then it slowed. Then it virtually stopped.

Has a similar problem previous, and after consulting with pullinbig we figured it was because of the oil cooling down. So I poured the remaining oil into a beaker and put it in the microwave long enough to warm it up a good bit.

Unfortunately, that didn't do the trick. A little would come through at first maybe, but then it would super slow. I even warmed the oil up three different times ... probably got down to 175mL of oil. But then I started to have a hard time keeping the filtration pressure up. I would drop fairly quickly and I'm not sure why. I thought maybe I had ruined the vaccum, as I was using up to 20Hg of pressure and the plastic tube started to collapse a bit (damn).

I finally pulled out a new filter and all was fine.

I guess that in the future I'll either need to go with the .45µm filters (not even available in the new Pall Supor® machV type and the old type actualyl costs more) or I'll have to just expect that I might not get 500mL out of a 500mL filter.

Very possible that I could still get 500mL through using a different or more pure hormone.

PS The filter is pretty white before use and pretty dark after use. Do ya'all get that as well?

Last edited:
dont poor all the solution in it at once. use maybe half then keep the other half warm in the beaker til the flask gets low. once you remove the solution, vacum and expose the filter it will clog quickly. lots of variables but the .2 may be the biggest culprit. 500ml is alot to squeeze thru one of those.

pullinbig said:
dont poor all the solution in it at once. use maybe half then keep the other half warm in the beaker til the flask gets low. once you remove the solution, vacum and expose the filter it will clog quickly. lots of variables but the .2 may be the biggest culprit. 500ml is alot to squeeze thru one of those.
Hadn't even considered that (not pouring it all in at once). Thanks for the advice.

mranak -

this happened to me ONCE. I will still use the .2 but i do a couple things to aide in the vaccuum issue.

When you have to pour it back out and reheat it. Once you pour the warm soultion back in, hold you hand down tight on the lid so that the seal is tight as it can be. I don't know why. Maybe when the rim of the filter gets moist, or the lid expands and contracts, i don't know. But it will work. I have done this several times and it works great.

oh yeah, PBs way is a good idea as well. There is no reason you can't get 500ml out of them.

Back