Brown Rice versus White Rice

The fiber in the brown rice also makes it a much lower glycemic alternative to its white counterpart. This slows down the digestion and causes much less secretion of insulin by the pancreas.
I also believe that these low carb diets are not wise. You need a balance of protein, carbs, and fat in order for all nutrients to be utilized optimally. Its just the types of foods we choose when it comes to all three of these nutrients that makes the difference.
You need complex carbs from sources like brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grains and oats, fibrous veggies, and even low glycemic fruits to help sythesize proteins to build muscle. Protein cannot do the trick alone.
You also need good essential fats like nuts, seeds, oils like flax, fish, and evening primrose that help keep cholesterol levels in check and balance hormones.
All protein sources are not created equal as well. Clean proteins from whole food are the best bet like deep cold water fish such as salmon, tuna, mackeral, and sardines. Chicken is good as well as lean cuts of beef and pork. Supplementing and good protein from a powder source such as whey or soy can help get in those extra high protein snacks in between meals and post-workout. Just look for a product that is mainly comprised of an isolate form of these proteins. Alot of companies put in cheaper sources such as concentrate or hydrolized protein which are still better than nothing but will not do the trick as well and as quickly as isolate forms. Happy eating, everyone!!!

Actually, as far as GI goes, brown rice and white rice are very similar...

White rice 81
Brown rice 79 (Instant rice 128)

However, there's much more to the difference than simply the GI. White rice is actually brown rice that's had the husk removed. As a result, fiber is much lower in white rice (fiberous carbs are best during contets prep -- well, in MHO). Most of the vitamins and minerals are gone too.

Basically, white rice is somewhat processed as opposed to brown rice.

B

Last edited:
Mister B said:
Actually, as far as GI goes, brown rice and white rice are very similar...

White rice 81
Brown rice 79 (Instant rice 128)

However, there's much more to the difference than simply the GI. White rice is actually brown rice that's had the husk removed. As a result, fiber is much lower in white rice (fiberous carbs are best during contets prep -- well, in MHO). Most of the vitamins and minerals are gone too.

Basically, white rice is somewhat processed as opposed to brown rice.

B

True!! You are right!! I had to look that up. I heard that it's GI was lower, but actually when the fiber in the husk is combined with the white part, it slows down the absortion considerably, therefore secreting less insulin than the white part alone. White rice by itself is very redily converted to sugar. So, I guess in essence, it is similar to being a lower glycemic food.

Thanks for the input, bro!!

cory said:
True!! You are right!! I had to look that up. I heard that it's GI was lower, but actually when the fiber in the husk is combined with the white part, it slows down the absortion considerably, therefore secreting less insulin than the white part alone. White rice by itself is very redily converted to sugar. So, I guess in essence, it is similar to being a lower glycemic food.

Thanks for the input, bro!!

That's probably more related to the Glycemic Load. I find it extremely confusing! It's more to do with combinations of foods resulting in a different GI than you would expect...

Good topic!

B

Mister B said:
That's probably more related to the Glycemic Load. I find it extremely confusing! It's more to do with combinations of foods resulting in a different GI than you would expect...

Good topic!

B

Yeah, you are correct. Whenever you combine foods of different GI's in the same meal, the overall GI is the average of all of them, so that is why it is so important to eat a balance of protein, carbs, and fat. Whenever I have something like pizza, I always drink a protein shake right before eating the pizza, because the protein will reduce the amount of insulin released by the bread in the pizza because it is a very low glycemic source. Its all about selecting the right types of foods and balancing them in the correct ratios.

i hate brown rice. i would rather eat a handful of dirt.

i have tried to like the stuff but just cant. nasty shit

brown rice does take a hell of a lot longer for me to cook , but it is good stuff if you mix in a little bannana pepper and chicken breast.

I can't be bothered to cook brown rice for 30-40mins, so I just have less white minute rice and mix in some brown beans with it for the fiber, dangerous grounds gave me the idea on here by posting his meal one day a week or two ago, its real good and i usually will mix in about 8oz of sliced chicken breats as well.

I hate rice! I've tried in every which way and form and I just don't like it period! I stick to potatoes and oatmeal to get my starchy carbs.

i would rather eat dirt than brown rice. tastes like shit.

hey darko, what kind of beans bro. might give that a try

Back