Calf Size is genetic and you can't make them bigger.

P

putin

M-Series said:
I was wondering if any of you guys have added substantial muscle to your calves...because I hear that calves are entirely genetic and you really can't make them grow much like other muscles. It kinda makes sense because ...you see guys with horrible upperbodies never worked out in their lives but they have excellent size on their calves. Then you see a lot of guys with excellent size on their upper bodies and stilts for legs...Any one add any inches to their calves...??????
The shape is genetic, but you can make it grow. I have great calfs, over 17" and they look like arnold's, I still have to work them to make them grow. I need the thickness.

this is where fat kids luck out... every fat kid i know has huge calfs and all the weight they carry around defines them... funny thing is most fat kids i know have cock diesel calfs and then the rest of their bodyresembles the pillsbury doughboy or the michelin ghost or the fat puffy marshmellow from ghostbusters etc....

same here. it grew a lot, really. was 11 back then(yes, I'am that skinny) now it's 16. now I'm happy!!! i have a fat friend who has this super massive calves and no, they're not fat, they're pure muscles, dude. lucky bastard!!!
squats and calf raises and some early morning stretchings and stuff.

forced reps, forced reps and more fu***ng forced reps....if you don't have to stretch them after a set, you may as well go home.

I was definately not blessed w/good calves, but with alot of work and proper diet I've made mine grow. They're almost at 18'' now. Keep working out, be patient, eat good, rest, they'll grow.

The reason why fat people have such huge calfs is b/c they are constantly working them out. Think about it, when they walk they have to carry much more weight and over time the calves have to adapt to it so they get stronger the longer the person is excessively fat. I bet if you walked around all day everyday w/ 65lb jacket for a year or two, ur calves would get freaking huge too.

i have small and high calves so basically i am screwed, forced reps have been working alright.

Everything else on my body will grow a lot faster than my calevs, but i am at the point wehre I accepted teh fact that in shorts i dont look that good. Its ok i work out hard and eat and sleep and hope one day ot have decent calves.

anyone here does donkey calf raises? just wondering. bec most of the time, i see people doing seated and standing calf raises.

session69 said:
The reason why fat people have such huge calfs is b/c they are constantly working them out. Think about it, when they walk they have to carry much more weight and over time the calves have to adapt to it so they get stronger the longer the person is excessively fat. I bet if you walked around all day everyday w/ 65lb jacket for a year or two, ur calves would get freaking huge too.

This is not necessarily true, a little more than 2 years ago I weighed 155lbs, now I'm about 205lbs. I weigh about 50lbs more, and my calfs haven't grown at all

The calves are 80-90% type 1 fibers and these dont grow as easy as type 2 fibers.
This dont mean they wont grow, they are still muscles and will respond to weight training.
Mine really kick-started when i started hitting them twice/week

i have to do very little calve work, as i am blessed with very good genetics in that area... i jumprope for cardio at least twice a week...

with my experience the only way to make calves grow is to grow in overall size.

say, how heavy are your calf routine poundage?
is it more than 200 pounds with low reps?
or lower pounds with high reps?

I just wear pants 98% of the time. :) I know my calves suck, even working them. Have tried working high reps, low reps, lots of sets, few sets. Whatever I try, still a bitch to add size. Agreed it seems like u must add overall body mass to get the little bastards to grow at all. Like the idea of walking around w/a 65lb vest on...too bad it isn't feasable. Some people are just lucky.

Angrymuscles...there's no majic solution to add size to calves as far as i know...just experiment and c what your body responds to best...we're all slightly different, so what works for one may not work for the other.
Are u a hardgainer??

To be honest...i never took measurements of my calves when I 1st started lifting. Hell I never even did leg workouts the first 2.5yrs i was lifting. I was stupid i know. So to be perfectly honest i couldn't tell u exactly, but i'm guessing about 16in or so at the very very least 15 and i know they weren't 17, so 15.5-16 would be a good honest guess. Its sad when your arms are slightly bigger then your calves!!

Back