Calf Soreness/Training Frequency

'tensity

Always Learnin'
Ok gurus, I need some board advice and different perspectives. From judges' and friends' input that I trust, along with my own self-critique, I know I've got to bring my calves up in size. Their vascularity is fairly solid at stage time and good shape, "just" need the mass. This past year of offseason, I did pretty much nothing but HEAVY weights, no more than 15 reps. I added some size but being tall (6'5") and them being pretty high, I have more work to do for sure.

I've started a rotation of heavy/light weeks (low reps 6-12, high reps 30-50). They are DEF not used to the high reps and are staying pretty sore. Hit high reps Monday, today is the 2nd day soreness (usually my worst) and am supposed to hit again tomorrow. But if they're this sore, I'm a bit hesitant. What I'd like is some feedback on training philosophies. I know the old school thought is leave a muscle group alone until the soreness disappears but have been reading approaches contrary to that, especially for calves i.e. they get so worked in everday usage that shocking them is beneficial.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

'T

I believe you should rest your calves unless you use very light weight and higher reps to stimulate blood flow. I don't believe in the "calves are used everyday so they can handle it" theory. Many muscles are used everyday that still need to be trained a specific way. Furthermore, the range of motion that calves go through everyday are nothing compared to their maximal range when being trained.

look into dc style calf training. Seems to be working for many people, i am sure it has something to do with that 15 second stretch at the bottom of the movement.

mister69 said:
look into dc style calf training. Seems to be working for many people, i am sure it has something to do with that 15 second stretch at the bottom of the movement.

Dude, I'm with you on the usage bit, I have a hard time seeing how barely contracting the muscle in regular motions cause much stimulation, which part of the reason I haven't gone too crazy wild with training them outlandishly; I'm thinking the soreness is more of getting accustomed to the higher reps but still interested in approaches.

69, I've been researching DC a bit as well, def a different style. After trying the alternating weight/rep scheme, I'll prob incorporate some of his philosophy too.

Thanks for the feedback.

I can relate to your current situation because my legs respond to training similarly. I can perform 15 sets of bicep curls and I will only be sore for one day. When I train legs I can only perform a total of 5-8 sets for each muscle group or my legs will be extremely achy for a whole week.

dude said:
I can relate to your current situation because my legs respond to training similarly. I can perform 15 sets of bicep curls and I will only be sore for one day. When I train legs I can only perform a total of 5-8 sets for each muscle group or my legs will be extremely achy for a whole week.

Lol, I know, it's crazy how parts respond differently. Just gotta get it all figured out.

I myself am trying to get my calves thicker. I started for maybe 4 months ago doing calves 2x/week and it workes really well for me. Usually doing high reps (20+) and this is the only muscle on me that responds better to high reps then my usual (4-8reps).
I do 5-7sets/time and do different exercises. Usually stick with sitting calve raises and then another movement.
Good luck bro.

Bast said:
I myself am trying to get my calves thicker. I started for maybe 4 months ago doing calves 2x/week and it workes really well for me. Usually doing high reps (20+) and this is the only muscle on me that responds better to high reps then my usual (4-8reps).
I do 5-7sets/time and do different exercises. Usually stick with sitting calve raises and then another movement.
Good luck bro.

Thanks Bast. Yea, I'm at 2x week too, have incorporated some extreme stretching between sets and that really fires 'em up too.

hey, 'tensity... those your calves or are you riding a chicken? hehe.

dude, my calves are nothing special, but they used to be a lot worse. i started noticing them filling out when I began to do a lot of serious sprint work. i know you are a lot older than when your boy wuerffel was flinging passes by your head and making your cover downfield, so sprinting isn't an option for you. but here's my point... plyometric type work (a forceful negative and explosive concentric, like in sprinting) are about the only thing that have worked for my calves. just a thought. after all, fast-twitch fibers are the ones capable of the most growth.

i weighed in today at 307... i seriously have my work cut out for me. HELP!

SCG2 said:
hey, 'tensity... those your calves or are you riding a chicken? hehe.

dude, my calves are nothing special, but they used to be a lot worse. i started noticing them filling out when I began to do a lot of serious sprint work. i know you are a lot older than when your boy wuerffel was flinging passes by your head and making your cover downfield, so sprinting isn't an option for you. but here's my point... plyometric type work (a forceful negative and explosive concentric, like in sprinting) are about the only thing that have worked for my calves. just a thought. after all, fast-twitch fibers are the ones capable of the most growth.

i weighed in today at 307... i seriously have my work cut out for me. HELP!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh wait, you were SERIOUS about me sprinting.... Yea, I have just started to incorporate the negative work into my hits and I think that is where some of the soreness is coming from; I need to put a bit more explosive contraction out of the bottom part of the movement and see what's what.

Bro trust me, the weight will melt off once we get your schedule all laid out; but no more chocolate milk and six-pack Gems!

Back