carbs vs fat

adidamps2

which is more important to the human body?
which is more important to the bodybuilder/powerlifter?

this more a question of debate not a "i'm right your wrong" deal.
i'm interested to see what you fellows/ladies think of the 2 fuel sources.

along with the fat vs. carb deal. how important are starchy carbs (i.e. potatos, rice, wheat, etc...) as a fuel source?

i believe the body can survive on protein and fat alone, with no carbs in the diet. It wouldnt be ideal for anyone, but i think fat is the more critical macro.

Carbohydrates are a Non essential macronutrient for human life. You can live without it.

Protein and Fat are essential. Without either you would die.

As for my preference i think carbs are far better in terms of providing energy for high intensity exercise. The amount of carbs in your diet is dependent on your body type and activity level. Some can handle more then others but they should still be in the diet IMO.

You can usually tell the guys that diet on Pro/Fat compared to those of pro/Carb. The pro/carb guys have a little more roundness to their muscle.

DirkMoneyshot said:
You can usually tell the guys that diet on Pro/Fat compared to those of pro/Carb. The pro/carb guys have a little more roundness to their muscle.
would an individual who consumes fruit and veggies over/instead of oat meal and rice still be able to achive the roundness look to the muscles?

Well veggies aren't really "carbs" as we are talking do to them being fibrous.

As for fruits the answer would be yes to a degree. Don't forget though most people will get diahria from coming a lot of fruits. Also fruits have varying ranges of glucose to fructose and some would be better suited for what you are talking about.

Why would you only want to stick with fruits though? What is wrong with other sources.

DirkMoneyshot said:
Well veggies aren't really "carbs" as we are talking do to them being fibrous.

As for fruits the answer would be yes to a degree. Don't forget though most people will get diahria from coming a lot of fruits. Also fruits have varying ranges of glucose to fructose and some would be better suited for what you are talking about.

Why would you only want to stick with fruits though? What is wrong with other sources.

my question was sparked through the research and reading of the paleolithic diet (the other thread i posted a few days back), much like a keto diet, except fruits and veggies are the main source of carbs, since wheat/poatoes/legumes/peanuts were not available to eat. also this research lead to the **fact** that wheat and potatoes **may** be poisionous to the human body, even when cooked and should be avoided. (mind you i do not plan on giving up pasta night, but i am concidering droppin most wheat products from my diet.)

**on a side note when one figures out how many carbs to consume in their diet, would you count TOTAL carbs or would you minus out fiber consumption from carb Total?**

I count all carbs personally....if I have alot of fibrous veggies (not fruit) then I may be a little lax when adding into totals and allow myself an extra rice cake or something.

DirkMoneyshot said:
Carbohydrates are a Non essential macronutrient for human life. You can live without it.

Protein and Fat are essential. Without either you would die.

As for my preference i think carbs are far better in terms of providing energy for high intensity exercise. The amount of carbs in your diet is dependent on your body type and activity level. Some can handle more then others but they should still be in the diet IMO.

Like my brother I am extremely carb sensitive, as soon as I cut them from my diet I get flat and don't like how I look at all so I prefer to have some carbs at least for breakfast and lunch and cut them out after that.

yes i agree that fruits are tasty and yes i agree you can diet entirely on fruits if you know what your doing and which ones to consume.

I would not get to caught up in trying to consume what are ancestors use to eat-

It makes no sense to count fiber - If you eat peas or carrots thats one thing as they are higher in sugar BUT if you ate 100g worth of brocolli the effect on glucose would not be the same.

DirkMoneyshot said:
yes i agree that fruits are tasty and yes i agree you can diet entirely on fruits if you know what your doing and which ones to consume.

I would not get to caught up in trying to consume what are ancestors use to eat-

It makes no sense to count fiber - If you eat peas or carrots thats one thing as they are higher in sugar BUT if you ate 100g worth of brocolli the effect on glucose would not be the same.
Okay, I'll bite. Which fruits would be best to consume and why?

omigod i hope you say grapes grapes and more grapes!!!! :)

DirkMoneyshot said:

as far as fruits go i am confident in my ability to select the right fruits.

i understand to a degree your point on "not" getting caught up on what our ancestors ate. but you have to find it interesting that w/thier simple diets they had none of the dieses or cronic problems our modernized western diet causes us. this indludes the fact that most of the problems we face to day health wise did not plague us until the introduction of wheat and potatoes and legumes. all 3 of which were unavailable to them due not knowing how to cultivate them and make them ediable.

and thanks, thats kinda what i figured for fiber, and that even frees up more carbs for me now...as i am consuming between 18-30 g fiber on a 60-70g carb diet. that means i could in theory up my intake take close to 100g then minus out my fiber.

Our ancestors also weren't the ideal of what your striving for either - so if your wanting to be "healthy'" then thats fine but dont expect to be the ideal body.

I also think that most of the modern diets that attribute to disease is not the problem of legitimate vegtables like potatos or starches, but the things that are added and the extreme amounts we eat. Not necessarly healthy foods in the right amounts.

As for the question from Miss muscle - i think if you do a internet search there is a couple places that list the breakdown of types of sugar in each fruit. Some with higher fructose and others with higher glucose. The key is then to figure out WHY you would want them in certain places. not a very hard question to answer.

DirkMoneyshot said:
Our ancestors also weren't the ideal of what your striving for either - so if your wanting to be "healthy'" then thats fine but dont expect to be the ideal body.

I also think that most of the modern diets that attribute to disease is not the problem of legitimate vegtables like potatos or starches, but the things that are added and the extreme amounts we eat. Not necessarly healthy foods in the right amounts.

no i will agree our ancestors were no Ronnie Coleman or even a John Cena, however they didnt use resistance training like we do either. most of there exercise revolved around the "hunt". so it is not known what kinda physique can be build on a diet like this. i am goin to give this "style" of a dieting a whirl for a few months and see how i feel and how i transform.

Thanks for the link Ad......I'm glad you are gonna try the diet for a few months. It has also caught my attention. I'm going to start implementing the caveman diet 3-4 days a week. I want some good carbs when I lift, but on cardio days the only carbs will be fruit/apples. I've tried it 4 times now. So far I'm not having much of a problem. Eating more vegetables to stay full, but nothing wrong with that!

Keep my updated on how you feel and your results!

Back