Cold Water Bath PWO?

Chicago Made

Hey guys,

I was wondering, since I've seen football players and such do it to recover quicker to be able to practice/play the next day/week, would it be of any advantage to take a cold bath (no ice or anything) pwo for quicker recovery? Like say an hour or so after when your body temps are regulated again?

Comments?

-Brian

I'm not a "VETERAN" but contrast showers work well where you start with hot water (as hot as you can stand it) for a few minutes then a minute of COLD water (as cold as you can stand it)

For recovery I have been doing lots of Epsom salt baths which seem to work really well for achy muscles and the nervous system.

i just workout at 5 am, come home eat a quick meal, shower (maturbate of course) and go to work, but the cool showers (not cold) are great after a morn workout

Hey Skar,

A couple questions:

* How often do you do this bath?

* Really 2lbs?

* What temp should the water be? (cold, warm, hot?)

Appreciate the feedback, bro!

-Brian

Hey Skar,

A couple questions:

* How often do you do this bath?

* Really 2lbs?

* What temp should the water be? (cold, warm, hot?)

Appreciate the feedback, bro!

-Brian

a)whenever i feel beat up. so usually after some heavy lifts.
b)yes
c)hot as you can get it

Cold water shower is nothing compared to the ice baths you see these football players taking like on a show such as Hard Knocks on HBO. High level athletes like football, basketball, fighters, etc use ice baths as a means of recovery. But they aren't just trying to recover from the stress of lifting but the aches, pains and bruises generated by practicing a full contact sport.

I'm not a "VETERAN" but contrast showers work well where you start with hot water (as hot as you can stand it) for a few minutes then a minute of COLD water (as cold as you can stand it)

Yes I heard the same thing and have used the protocol for heavy work outs. I found it very helpful. Decrease in fatigue and DOMS. Better recovery all around.

It is winter here and certainly not as cold as it gets in the US or Europe but my dedication to the cold shower bit has wavered.

Cold water shower is nothing compared to the ice baths you see these football players taking like on a show such as Hard Knocks on HBO. High level athletes like football, basketball, fighters, etc use ice baths as a means of recovery. But they aren't just trying to recover from the stress of lifting but the aches, pains and bruises generated by practicing a full contact sport.

I understand the water need only be as low as 12 degrees celsius (53.6F). Cold water out of the tap might not be that cold depending on where you live. Still, a cold shower can take a good deal of the heat out of you.

I understand the water need only be as low as 12 degrees celsius (53.6F). Cold water out of the tap might not be that cold depending on where you live. Still, a cold shower can take a good deal of the heat out of you.
I wasn't talking about lowering body temp, I was referring to easing pain associated with having two full contact practices in a day.

I've done ice baths before too. The work well, i personally like epsom salt baths better with really hot water for overall recovery.

I've done ice baths before too. The work well, i personally like epsom salt baths better with really hot water for overall recovery.

That may be true but in a football player's case (such as myself) the ice is a really nice break from the heat, last thing I'd want to do after a full pads practice in the 100 degree heat is jump in a hot bath.

That may be true but in a football player's case (such as myself) the ice is a really nice break from the heat, last thing I'd want to do after a full pads practice in the 100 degree heat is jump in a hot bath.

true.

I wasn't talking about lowering body temp, I was referring to easing pain associated with having two full contact practices in a day.

The principle still applies.

When I said "taking the heat out" that included reducing inflammation. That should go some way to reducing pain.

Also, cold can be an analgesic.

However, at some point, training just hurts. If it was easy, then everybody would be doing it.

The principle still applies.

When I said "taking the heat out" that included reducing inflammation. That should go some way to reducing pain.

Also, cold can be an analgesic.

However, at some point, training just hurts. If it was easy, then everybody would be doing it.

Agreed but it would be foolish not to take simple steps that can improve or hasten recovery.

Back