Converting "Wet" Alcohol Into "Dry" Alcohol for Oral solutions.

SprtNVolcoM

I know some of you live in states where 190 proof grain alcohol isn't legal. So through a little research and conversation with chemists, I found a way to convert your "wet" 151 proof grain alcohol into "dry" 200 proof grain alcohol, which is better suited to hold compounds in a solution.

Brought to you by Dr. D of AnabolicMinds.com:
Incase you wanted to make your own 200 Proof grain alcohol, here you go. These are directions on how to "dry" 750ml of "wet" 151 proof alcohol (either Baccardi or EverClear):

If you want to use "wet" alcohol, you just have to dry it out first. Get a desiccant like MgSO4 (common epsom salt). Dry it at 400'F for at least 4-6 hours and put it in a few coffee filters. Then slowly pour your alcohol over it while it's in a funnel. The salts catch the water and the dehydrated alcohol runs through. It's a sinch.

750ml of 151pf alcohol (75.5%) will yield 566.3ml of absolute, dehydrated alcohol (200pf). That means 183.7ml H2O must be removed. Each mole of MgSO4 can hold 7 moles of water, which corresponds to slightly over it's molecular weight or 105% it's weight in water (assuming it is totally dry) so roughly 175g of dried salts. I'd use about 300g though because it makes it much easier when you don't have to achieve 100% efficiency, that would get slow toward the end. You have to make a drying tube like I instructed you (a big funnel) and pour the alcohol in 2 equal portions over ~150g of salt each. Unless you have an enormous funnel, I'd just do 100ml alcohol at a time and then recharge the system with new filters and salt before the next round. The surface of the salts will get hard as it collects water. Occasionally you may need to break up the salts and mix them around in the funnel (about 4 coffee filters being used). Just don't puncture the paper when you do this.

It's actually very easy. I've done it twice and it works very well.

Thanks,
Sprt

I can't find on my country 190 proof grain too! I'm using the maximum available here, 160 proof.
I tought on doing this but trough decantation, but this way is a LOT easier and simpler!

thks a lot

Back