cooking oil

herbicepgirl

Hi, I was just wondering if it is ok to cook my chicken on the frying pan in canola oil. The oil has 9 grams of fat. 2.8 poly's, 5.8 monos, 0.7 saturates. I am dieting for a comp, so i was just wondering if it is ok to cook my chicken in this fat? It makes it taste way better. Thanks

I'd suggest safflower or olive oil instead. Safflower is high in omega-6 and extra virgin olive is very light. They don't taste as good though.

Olive oil is a great choice and a tablespoon of that in your pan with some pan searing flower on the chicken would be perfect for your needs.

On the surface, the fat makeup of Canola Oil is quite good, but the main issues some people have are with the refinement process it's put through before it eventually gets to your grocery store shelf. Personally although I just don't like the taste of Canola Oil, I don't see how small amounts in moderation could seriously hinder someone's diet or general health. I would just avoid heavy use for deep frying or anything like that.

You can count on the positive health benefits of Extra Virgin (and even Light) Olive Oil though due to positive fat profile without the questionable refinement process. If the flavor of Extra Virgin is too strong for you, you can still benefit from the Light version and experiment with different herbs and spices for flavor without added calories.

olive and avocado oil.. my favorite...

I would love to try avocado oil, haven't seen it in any store thou, I know it has a much higher smoke point than olive oil.. have to search where to buy it.

Back