Couples Therapy. Did anyone try with it their spouse?

desibaba

Me and my girlfriend both had depression and anxiety issues way before we met each other. We have been together for almost a year and a half now with lots of ups and down. She primarily has very low self esteem and severe anger. I on the other hand get depressed and feel lots of anxiety. She was overweight growing up and even though she is really attractive now she constantly says things like "I feel fat in this dress" etc.

Also she had a tendency to try to get attention from random men because i think somehow that makes her "Feel" beautiful. Obviously im not going to tolerate it very well if my woman is talking to some guy behind my back and giving him the impression that she is single. We went to the psychiatrist today and he gave both of us 40 mgs of prozac a day. He also prescribed me one ambien a day because of my restlessness.

What i didnt like was he that seemed only interested in writing prescriptions rather than listening to our problems. He refferred us to be a couples therapy person for that. How exactly does that work? Im assuming thats more of the sit on a couch and talk about your issues kind of thing? How did it work for most of you who tried that.

I have my first session with the therapist on the 1st of next month. Luckily my health insurance gives 4 completely free session every year and after that they pay for 80 percent of it. I didnt mention the steroid or GH use to the psychiatrist and most likely wont tell the therapist about it either. I was already fucked up in the head way before i touched any anabolic drugs.

Psychiatrists as far as I know will prescribe you drugs for most of your symptoms, that's why people go see them, otherwise they go see a psychologist who is your typical let me listen to what's going on type of doctor and sometimes provide useful guidance. Aside from those 2 then you have family counselors or life coaches, who can or cannot be doctors I suppose.

My wife and I used to see a family counselor because we had frequent arguments on how to raise our children, mainly because we both have a child each from a previous relationship and things used to get pretty ugly which we thought could hurt our relationship in the long run.

I think the therapy sessions helped because it helped us talk to a third party who was basically biased, although it seemed that each of us two kept trying to persuade the therapist to agree with us. :)

He/she may be able to suggest good ways for you two to communicate and open up in ways you felt could not be possible. Of course there are good therapies and there are bad ones. Don't give up on them if the first visit isn't the greatest, go for a second one or find a different therapist altogether.

Good luck.

Psychiatrists as far as I know will prescribe you drugs for most of your symptoms, that's why people go see them, otherwise they go see a psychologist who is your typical let me listen to what's going on type of doctor and sometimes provide useful guidance. Aside from those 2 then you have family counselors or life coaches, who can or cannot be doctors I suppose.

My wife and I used to see a family counselor because we had frequent arguments on how to raise our children, mainly because we both have a child each from a previous relationship and things used to get pretty ugly which we thought could hurt our relationship in the long run.

I think the therapy sessions helped because it helped us talk to a third party who was basically biased, although it seemed that each of us two kept trying to persuade the therapist to agree with us. :)

He/she may be able to suggest good ways for you two to communicate and open up in ways you felt could not be possible. Of course there are good therapies and there are bad ones. Don't give up on them if the first visit isn't the greatest, go for a second one or find a different therapist altogether.

Good luck.

This is a great response. And yes, psychiatrists' job is to diagnose and prescribe medication based off of their diagnoses.

Counselors can be good for the fact that they allow you to be honest about your situation with a third party present. This third party tends to keep the conversation "cleaner" than if it were just between the two of you. This allows for topics to really get discussed without having to worry about a vicious fight.

Anyways....I am for relationship counselors. Not that they are doing anything scientific or all that complicated, but the environment they produce allows for some beneficial change to occur.

Last edited:
dude im gunna keep it real with you here, Me and my x went to a relationship councellor . fuck me dead it was the most intense thing ive ever been thru : / id rather chuck 200kg on my back and squat ass to the grass for reps

dude im gunna keep it real with you here, Me and my x went to a relationship councellor . fuck me dead it was the most intense thing ive ever been thru : / id rather chuck 200kg on my back and squat ass to the grass for reps

Did it help you though?

nope. me and her split , and to this day we still dont really no whats going on beetween us . Once u have trust issues in a relationship its doomed mate. walk away

well then by all means gives it a whirl, but im teling u its full on that shit . ull walk out of thier distrawt if thiers anything in the closet about ur relationship

Good luck.

Great advice

If you get a good counselor you will be fine... it cant hinder you.... but you need to be willing to change and have an open mind.

yes psychiatrist are MD who prescribe meds

clinical psychologists or clinical social workers are for psychotherapy / counseling

a good therapist matters, but couples are notorious for playing out the same issues that are f-ing up the relationship with the counselor and then blaming the therapist

also if her self esteem is causing her to have a compulsion to lie and seek attention and maybe other risky behaviors she may not change right away so you are signing on for this by being with her

good luck brother. i think u should try counseling and see how it goes.

Your success will not be only determined by how willing and honest you will be with the counsellor but how willing and honest your partner will be. Trust me if your partner's not on the same page don't bother.

Back