Cypionate working or placebo effect?

Sedg1

Never thought that I would be posting my first question on this topic, but that probably describes most of us on this sub-forum.
I am a mid-50 year old recently diagnosed with low T. I am very healthy (except for Crohns that is under control), eat right, drink a little and have lifted 3-4 days a week for more than 30 years.
About a year ago, I started feeling like crap - loss of energy, irritable, depressed, etc. And then within the past six months, started having mental fog, concentration issues, bad fatigue and more of the other stuff. And then within the past three months or so, add to that some ED, and worthless workouts. I would have to drag my ass to the gym at the end of the day, which was totally weird as I always considered it my "happy hour." Could barely get through my workouts. Was losing strength and muscle mass. And even though I eat very well, I started getting belly fat.
The logical answer was that my Crohn's was flaring, but that was not it. So had general blood work done - thyroid, sugars, etc. All were normal except for Vit D which was way low. Started on high doses to deal with that, without any symptomatic improvement. I also have osteopenia - probably from Predisone use associated with Crohns. But I have not taken that poison in years. And bone density still low.
So I had doc do a T test. Kaching. Total was 310ng and Free was 49ng. Test repeated two weeks later showed 306ng and 50ng. Got referred to urologist. He came in the room and asked my symptoms and I told him. He said those are perfectly consistent with low T and he had no problem initiating therapy. Frankly, I was thrilled.
Doc suggested Testopel saying that it was long lasting (4 months) and has a nice level release curve. He was going to hit up my insurance for that. But in the meantime he gave me my first shot two days ago - 200mg cypionate, to be repeated in two weeks. I asked how long before I would feel its effects and he said could take two injection cycles.
But later that day I began to feel so much better. Like the buzz from a good cup of coffee but without the jitters. And at the gym that afternoon, I had so much more energy. Yesterday was even better. Calmer, more focused, more centered and just a general sense of well-being. And the gym was magic. Did my usual back/biceps routine. I had probably 20% more strength and virtually no fatigue. Muscle failure felt different too - like it was linear rather than catastrophic - like someone was giving me a good spot and letting me squeeze out a few extra reps. And today, I actually still have a pump in my bicepts/triceps, and soreness in my traps from Thursday. I have not had soreness from my routine since I can remember.
Also seem to be getting my mojo back. As the Beatles said - "isn't it good, some morning wood." Or something like that.
So is this the cyp kicking in already? Was my bod just waiting for this biologic boost, or am I feeling just the placebo effect from the high expectations I have for it?
Doesn't much matter. It is all good. Have had the best two days I can remember in a long time.
On another topic, anyone on Testopel? vs. injections? I am not needle shy. I already inject B12 and biologic for Crohns.
Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited:
Injections work the best, stay with those for certain! Everyone reacts different to the start of TRT. I felt it on the way home from the doctors office after the first shot. Fog lifted from my mind and big energy boost. Morning wood for the first time in 15 years the next day. Several friends it took 3-6 weeks for it to hit. Some with ED even longer.

Well, it takes ~4 weeks for it to build up to desired levels in your bloodstream so it could be placebo. Knowing that however, I and many others with low test felt the same way after the first injection. Is it a true reaction to the test? Who knows. The good news is that you're on the right path, although I've read a lot of negative reviews about testopel such as the inability to modify dosages and having seepage from the pellet. I wholeheartedly recommend going with injections as visgoth stated above - nothing beats having full control over what you put in your body and when.

I'm not scared of needles by any stretch of the imagination (TRT fixed that), but after seeing implantation videos, that shit looks scary as hell haha. You can see them on youtube if you're curious.

My .02c :)

Gents, appreciate the wisdom. This is all pretty new to me. But all I can say is that if this is only the beginning, I am all in.
The more I read the less I am inclined to go with Testopel. The doc recommended it right out of the gate, and as the first and best option. Was not going to pick a fight with him at the first visit - especially since he was so supportive. Told him I had no issues with needles and even asked him about self injections. He gave me some dance about steroids being a controlled substance and how they needed to do them in the office. And I thought, well, you do not go to the doctors to take Oxycodone or Hydrocodone. Anyway, I figured that was a discussion to be had once I found out if this really was going to work. But I was left with the distinct impression that this was a money thing for him. They must get a good fee for this surgical implant procedure - certainly more than a little prick every two weeks. I will have a chat with my insurance company about these issues. I am sure it will support the cheapest treatment - injections. And perhaps they will just get them for me through their specialty clinic.
Again, obliged for the feedback and well-wishes. I bid you happy trails as well.

stay with injections, you will hate the pellets, they hurt for a week and every visits a new scar on your ass. you feel good for 3 months but its no fun holding an ice pack on your Ass

That's like asking what is everyone's favorite color; everybody will be different. If your reaction was a placebo effect, who gives a crap....enjoy it :) For me personally, I felt a tiny jolt within the first week with regards to energy, but after that, things haven't changed too much. Lifting at the gym definitely feels better and my energy is leaps and bounds better, but the mental fog, depression and anxiety have all remained. I've only been on injections for four weeks, but I'm still hoping for better results in the future. Also still have the ED problems. The great guys on this site and the person helping me with my protocol believe I may need to look at my serotonin and dopamine levels, but that will have to wait, at least on my end, until I see how the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) plays out. I'm not ready to throw another liquor in my Long Island Ice tea just yet.

Also, my blood work from last week showed an estrogen level twice the highest range. (80.5 on a range of 5-40) Make sure you watch for those levels becasuse you may spike your T, only to drop down because of high E. But please follow the advice of these guys and don't guess.....be patient and get blood work. Good luck man!

That's like asking what is everyone's favorite color; everybody will be different. If your reaction was a placebo effect, who gives a crap....enjoy it :) For me personally, I felt a tiny jolt within the first week with regards to energy, but after that, things haven't changed too much. Lifting at the gym definitely feels better and my energy is leaps and bounds better, but the mental fog, depression and anxiety have all remained. I've only been on injections for four weeks, but I'm still hoping for better results in the future. Also still have the ED problems. The great guys on this site and the person helping me with my protocol believe I may need to look at my serotonin and dopamine levels, but that will have to wait, at least on my end, until I see how the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) plays out. I'm not ready to throw another liquor in my Long Island Ice tea just yet.

Also, my blood work from last week showed an estrogen level twice the highest range. (80.5 on a range of 5-40) Make sure you watch for those levels becasuse you may spike your T, only to drop down because of high E. But please follow the advice of these guys and don't guess.....be patient and get blood work. Good luck man!

Thanks. bud. Sorry to hear that you are not getting the full monty yet. I have nothing to offer, being a total noob. But since your E2 is so high, I am sure you will be addressing that. Get that down and maybe you will get those head issue under control. Might I ask what your dose is? I have also read that your body type can influence to what extent T transforms into E. I happen to be a skinny guy and hope that works to my advantage - for once.
Had my third work out today since first 200mg injection four days ago. Another great workout. No fatigue. No burn Just failure in a linear, gradual way. More strength and stamina. I get the magic.Like a new bod. Have to be careful not to push too hard. Fact is that I may be turning back the time on my T level, but the ligaments and tendons are still 56 years old. Even so, isn;t it great to have that kind of energy again?
Wish you well. Know real well waht you are facing.

Last edited:
its possible that u feel it already. i mean something just got injected into your body,im sure ur body knows that.i started getting lots of bonners withing the first few days :)

also next time ask ur doc if u can do 100mg every week instead of 200 every 2 weeks.cuz at about day 9 or 10 u will start to feel crappy again.

OP here. Now five days since first 200mg injection. Three workouts later am pretty convinced not a placebo effect. Have lost about an inch of rolly off my belly and have put on 3.5 pounds of what looks in the mirror like lean muscle from killer workouts. And this is on a relatively low therapeutic dose. But most important, I feel so much better in every respect. The workout boost is just gravy. Just wish I had my testosterone tested a couple years ago.

Glad to hear you're progressing well. Interesting that at just age 31 my total T level was already as low as your lowest point, a man in your 50s, which had declined to that over a number of years no doubt.

Your search link doesn't seem to be working by the way?

Glad to hear you're progressing well. Interesting that at just age 31 my total T level was already as low as your lowest point, a man in your 50s, which had declined to that over a number of years no doubt.

Your search link doesn't seem to be working by the way?

As you know from our conversation following your original post, it greatly troubles me that men of your age, and younger, have to deal with this medical issue. I guess we can no longer consider the low testosterone phenomenon as exclusively an age-related men's health issue. I hope you too find a course of care that works.
By the way, the link above was just to the "all posts" link on my home page here.

Back